Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Here is the first of two posts of herps that I have seen near Wollongong, NSW, in the last three years. The habitat near Wollongong consists mostly of wet eucalyptus forest on the slopes of the escarpment with isolated patches of rainforest in some of the protected gullies. There is heath on some of the ridges.

First, a few habitat shots.

Mt. Kiera where I try to walk whenever possible ... from the east:
habitat3.jpg

... from the north:
habitat4.jpg

... from the west:
habitat1a.jpg

... a view to the south from a lookout on top of Mt. Kiera:
habitat2.jpg

Eastern Blue-tongue (Tiliqua scincoides) -- I sometimes see this skink in the hills but it seems to be more common in town.
bluetongue1.jpg

Mainland She-oak Skink (Cyclodomorphus michaeli) -- I sometimes saw this skink in my yard when I lived near a creek. Up in the hills, I have only seen it twice. Once was in heathland and the second time in an area with thick stands of Lomandra.
sheoak5.jpg

sheoak6.jpg

sheoak2.jpg

sheoak1a.jpg

Anepischtos (Nanoscincus) maccoyi -- until recently, I thought that this skink was scarce in the area. Lately, I have seen a number of these in wet eucalyptus forest. They seem to be the most active when the weather is wet and cool, as it is now in early winter.
nano3.jpg

nano7b.jpg

nano5.jpg

Three-toed Skink (Saiphos equalis) -- a glossy lizard that is common species in wet eucalyptus forest and in the heath.
saiphos1.jpg

saiphos3.jpg

saiphos5.jpg

... shedding
saiphos7.jpg

saiphos4.jpg

Weasel Skink (Saproscincus mustelinus) -- farily common in wet eucalyptus woodland.
saproscincus1.jpg

weasel1.jpg

Garden Skink (Lampropholis delicata) -- probably the most common reptile in the suburbs and hills near Wollongong.
delicata4.jpg

On one occasion, I found this large individual that was actively pursing and biting others.
delicata1.jpg

... normally, they seem to be placid and social:
delicata2.jpg

Grass Skink (Lampropholis guichenoti) -- another common lizard in the suburbs and hills near Wollongong.
guichenoti1.jpg

Red-throated Skink (Acritoscincus platynotum) -- I only see this skink on top of the escarpment in areas with dense stands of Lomandra. This is my only photo of this species from Wollongong and it was unfortunately dead on the trail.
redthroated1.jpg

Eastern Water Skink (Eulamprus quoyii) -- common in rocky areas, especially along the top of the escarpment.
waterskink2.jpg

waterskink5.jpg

waterskink3.jpg

I was surprised one evening to see these "flat mates". The skink was retiring for the evening at the same time that a Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko was becoming active.
waterskink4.jpg

I have seen water skinks swim across small creeks many times. This, however, was the only time that I found one that attempted to hide underwater.
waterskink1.jpg

Here is a very peculiar animal. It lacked the normal pigment ationand was mostly black with blue-grey patches of colour. I only saw it once and could never again relocate the animal.
waterskink8.jpg

waterskink7.jpg

waterskink6.jpg

Jacky Lizard (Amphibolurus muricatus) -- not very common but I see them at times in the heath and eucalyptus forest at the top of the escarpment.
jacky1.jpg

... juvenile
jacky2.jpg

Mountain Heath Dragon (Rankinia diemensis) -- not common but occasionally seen in heath at the top of the escarpment.
heathdragon1.jpg

heathdragon2.jpg

Eastern Water Dragon (Physignathus lesueurii) -- along creeks and sometimes along trails on Mt. Kiera.
waterdragon1.jpg

Regards,
David

Wow! I've lived in Wollongong for over 6 years and apart from your usual garden skinks I haven't seen anything like that! And I've been around Mt Keira quite a bit and gone for walks.

Hmm. I mustn't have been looking for them at the time. I might now. Great pics. Amazing colours.

Great pics. Love the 1 of the EWD. Think ill have to plan a trip to the MT Kiera area, looks very good for Herping. Cant wait for part 2.

Great pics David. Love the Cyclodomorphus, you're very lucky to have such diverse reptile life so close to home!

Normally I'd say great pics, but this time I have to say exceptionally great pics. You must have the patience of a saint and the luck of the Irish :)

Nice pics! (as always :) )

That juvie jacky looks suprised/angry at having its photo taken! :) (either that or smiling for the photo ;)

wow great pics, was that darker skink in an area that had been burn recently, or several year ago? and was that the only skink you saw in the area or only dark coloured one. very intresting.
-L

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

Luke,
The dark Eulamprus was in an area that burned several years ago. It was the only dark individual that I saw. Others were seen but they all had the normal colouration of E. quoyii.

Regards,
David

Really cool thread, moloch.

Its been years since i've seen a She-Oak .

Mt Keira is the only place i've seen Nanoscincus maccoyi.

I always see a few Rock Skinks (Egernia saxtilis)up Mt Kembla. Ever seen them up Mt Keira?

I tend to go up Bong Bong Pass (West Dapto) and see Mountain Dragons, Scalyfoots, Leaf Tailed geckoes, White Skinks, Red Throated Skink.

I often see Diamonds on the slopes within rainforest habitat and around houses.

Very nice camera work. Thanks for sharing.

Col J.

thanks, thats intresting. shows a possible benifit of hypermelanism in populations. Intresting to see what other populations pop up with this trait in the future.
-L

Nice Pictures David, if I ever make it down to Australia, that will be one of my first stops :)

Beautiful scenery as well!!

Thanks all for the kind remarks.

serpentongue,
I have never seen Black Rock Skinks so close to Wollongong. Carrington Falls is the closest place that I know. I guess that I will have to try Mt. Kembla again.

Sounds like you have good luck at Bong Bong Pass. I would like to try that area someday.

Jase,
I will have snake photos in part 2.

Luke,
It was funny seeing the melanistic Eulamprus on the burned trunks of trees. It certainly was more cryptic than the normal coloured animals.

Derek,
Welcome to this forum. Yes, I would like to show you the sites when you visit Australia someday.

Here are a couple of additional shots of Saiphos from a couple of days ago.
saiphos8.jpg

saiphos9.jpg

Regards,
David

Another Eastern Water Skink.
water1.jpg

Eastern Blue Tongue
bluetongue.jpg

Another shot of the Eastern Water Dragon
waterdragon2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.