Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have not been any studies so far that show temperament is an inheritable trait in snakes.

Thanks Waruikazi! :D I remember being told to steer clear of snakes like jungle pythons when I was deciding on my first snake, and figured that if the whole species was known to be feisty they must inherit snappy-ness.
They must just get a bad rap :(.

I'm still curious about behaviours though, like how you find green tree pythons have that way of looping themselves over and over a branch, or BHPs coiling into a circle. I've never seen my mac do either of those, so I wonder if they would be an inheritible thing?
And what would happen if you crossed serveral snakes with specific behaviours.

It's not really important, I just thought of it and am now all curious, i'd never really given much thought about what happened to the snakes themselves when they get crossed.

O B ,, Seems that some jungles are known to be that way but others are pretty easy going, just as most Bredli are pretty easy going but you'll come across a real demon now and then. I don't think snakes are all that different then other animals IE if you breed for certain traits such as temperament you can get at least some of what you want.

I think that at some time or other all snakes do some odd things.. Your comment about Chondro's made me remember this photo. Randy
DSCF0251.jpg

Randy, yes most Morelia will coil like that it's just that Greens being mostly arboreal are more well known for doing it.

Randy, thanks for that! It's good to know there isn't really a 'nasty' python!
I pick my snakes for pets so temperament comes before pretties, but I was still a bit sad when they told me that jungles are mean because they are SO beautiful. :D

And that is an awesome photo! I hope you don't mind, but I've nabbed it for my desktop at work.

So snakes learn from each other? Or do they just find it more comfortable to do the stuff their species is known for?

I wonder if I set up a rung like that in my enclosure, would my spotted python try it? He can climb very well on his branches but has never sat like that, and I think it's adorable.
So there is no inherited behaviours either?

I need to kidnap David Attenbourourgh and make him live under my bed and teach me everything he knows about animals.

Actually, this is one of my first crossings. I used to be a purist for many years but my thoughts evolved and beliefs changed. But I do plan to breed more most certainly.
I have been breeding snakes for more than ahlf my life and I am still open to any idea, not signing off anything as written in stone.
Life is too short and I have gotten over the fact that my US collection of Aussie Morelia, hybrid and pure, will never impact wild populations of Morelia. So I sleep well.

Whoops! My bad, I assumed you had bred it's parents too! Sorry dude! But the statement still stands, you can see the snake in the picture. What's done is done, and no amount of arguing is going to change it.

And hybrids would be one of the least of my worries should an overseas morelia manage to make it's way into the native population. I'd be more worried about contagious diseases the population may not have been exposed to before, which could wipe out many of our lovely wild snakes, or anything which feeds of that particular snake, or even unrelated species in the ecosystem.

But I think that's one of the reasons its illegal to import.

And you never answered me, have you noticed any unusual habits from your 4 way hybrid? And what is her/his temprament?

O D , no problem with using the photo. One thing about that photo (they were just put together for the photo) is that the cage is set up for a Chondro so the bredli to find a comfortable Temp had to climb up and perch.. I've seen My Tanimbars, Coastal's and some others perch like Chondro's and Emeralds which are even more arboreal than Chondro's they both perch the same way. An Emerald
DSC04114.jpg

Even Jungles will perch like that, this one was all nice and snug till the paper was hung which pissed it off lol
KB2.jpg

This Amazon Tree Boa seems to have it worked out
953994fd.jpg

But is seems even snakes cheat, she is that kind of girl
a58780ee.jpg

As far as Carpondro's and the way they act some seem to take after their Chondro parent and are more arboreal others more like their carpet parent.. The one Yasser posted is 75% carpet so I imagine even more like a carpet. There have been a number of different crosses and hybrids bred and they don't seem to have any identity problems.. Randy

Hey Randy,
All those photos are lovely! You make me want a boa!
So perching like that is more of a habit that the arboreal snakes have, because we make their enclosures to mimic living in branches, and other snakes can, but they just don't really get the chance to, or feel the need to because we make their enclosures more like living on the ground...? That makes sense.

Thanks heaps for all the help dude! I'm still new to herps, but I'm trying hard to find out as much as I can about them, even the ones I can't have in australia. I don't like being ignorant! So thanks again for the help!

Thanks Bubba....Hug and kisses, sweetcheeks! :p

Are you guys actually going out of your way to say these things?
I am flattered!
Here's another 75% Carpet normal Jag sibling.....
Stagger4-10-0801medalt.jpg

Sure is an ugly bugger huh?

Regardless of your opinion, I am having a blast with these. I haven't felt this kind of rush from a snake breeding in a few years. It's a nice warm fuzzy feeling.

-Yasser

Last edited:
I don't believe that snakes inherit either temperament or characteristics (such as how they act on a stick).

Snakes change depending on what they're presented with. Also, snakes are built to suit particular things. For example, green tree pythons are thin, light and have extremely prehensile tails. Thus, it is easy to realise they are built for the trees, and are rather unsuitable for the ground. Or that, not unsuitable, just not meant to be on the ground. They are certainly capable to moving on the ground.

Black headeds or womas, on the other hand, are thick and heavy-bodied, and don't have prehensile tails. Same with any of the Antaresia group. Thus, these snakes are not suitable for trees, and it is uncommon to see any of them in trees. In fact, I've never seen a woma up high (except for one, but that was extremely uncomfortable and had to come down quickly), and I've never seen any of the Antaresia in a tree in the wild. I've seen one black-headed in a tree, and that tree was very thick with no relatively thin branches. It was sitting in a burrow and had it's head out in the sun.

Any of the Morelia group have prehensile tails, and thus, can and will be found in trees. They often take the "gtp" position, because that's a very stable way of sitting on a thin branch that they would other wise fall off.

In reference to the other point, how can it be proved that temperament is inherited? Almost all snakes will be snappy when they're young, and will grow out of this stage. It's nature versus nurture. I serial killer isn't born a serial killer. That person would have been brought up in a way that effects them so.

It's the same for snakes. If a snake has been handled roughly and provoked since it was a hatchling, then it will be aggressive. If a snake has been handled gently, and left alone when it wants to be alone, etc, then it will not be aggressive. I've made a post like this before. Everything is instinct based, but snakes react in different ways depending on the situation they have been placed in.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

~ notechistiger.

Yasser, another beaufitul snake, so what if some don't like them it's no big deal. It's better to say nothing than just post a silly comment but not everyone thinks like that. The main thing is that YOU like them and quite obviously plenty of others too.

Note I'd have to disagree with you. The only two snakes in the world who consistently perch that way are Emeralds and Chondro's and they perch that way because they are programed to do that. A good example is the Amazon tree boa who if anything is built more for the trees than a chondro yet they seldom perch like the Emeralds and Chondro's

Yasser mentioned something that is very true.. Picking babies from a clutch that start well on Rats and their babies tend to be the same way. Picking animals that are less nippy and breeding them produces babies that are the same way. Heck in Captive breeding we do these things without really thinking about it.. Animals that are high strung and difficult to keep don't thrive and produce well where animals that are calmer and easier going are more suited to captivity and pass what they are to their get . I could go on but hope you see what I'm saying here.. Randy

Yasser that is one bug fugly little Cretan , I'll take two !!

I wonder how many of those who have posted negatively about these guys would have said something different if you had just posted photos and failed to say just what they were LOL.. Randy

Yeah I have said that before, if someone posted a photo of a 'new' species just discovered in the deepest darkest Amazon everyone would be oohing and aahing about it. :)

Yasser that is one bug fugly little Cretan , I'll take two !!

I wonder how many of those who have posted negatively about these guys would have said something different if you had just posted photos and failed to say just what they were LOL.. Randy

Yeah, probably no-one, because they look just like what they are.......Hybrid.

im not hating on that snake as i love all snakes i just dont think that jagpondro thing is that pretty. and i dont like cross breeding if i saw a crossbreed snake i found attractive i would say so. do you have photos of the other siblings? that last photo looks a lot more attractive than the first. and if your allowed to do that in the states then i cant hate on ya for that but i still dont like it but hey thats none of my bizz

im interested to look but i would hate all our aussie snakes over here to get hybridalised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back