Venomous Licensing (Vic)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushfire

Reaction score
It seems at the moment there is a big push especially from non vic keepers to toughen up vics licensing of venomous snakes. I see no real need for this push when you consider that there is no evidence that those in vic get bitten more, are less capable, exposed to a greater risk than other states that face the tougher laws. Also the same goes with newer keepers getting bitten more than experienced ones, look at the evidence. I say leave the law as it is.

you keep any snake, you run a risk of being bitten. vens bite obviously has more effect on handler.
cheers:)

why should people in other states care what the vic laws are.
i personally think the vic laws are great , pay your money and heres your license.

Yer a bite does have more of an impact but as Ive said those in vic are not bitten more often or for that matter less than other states so the tougher restrictions in other states havent in real time have any impact on safety. I agree with you robbo those outside vic shouldnt care but recently Ive been asked to sign a petition calling on DSE to toughen up their licensing. This petition orginally coming from NSW judging by the first signed on the numbered list. Also mostly NSW ppl signed it.

Last edited:
Yer a bite does have more of an impact but as Ive said those in vic are not bitten more often or for that matter less than other states so the tougher restrictions in other states havent in real time have any impact on safety. I agree with you robbo those outside vic shouldnt care but recently Ive been asked to sign a petition calling on DSE to toughen up their licensing. This petition orginally coming from NSW judging by the first signed on the numbered list. Also mostly NSW ppl signed it.

I hope you were true to your stated beliefs and refused to sign.

recently Ive been asked to sign a petition calling on DSE to toughen up their licensing. This petition orginally coming from NSW judging by the first signed on the numbered list. Also mostly NSW ppl signed it.

i dont get it. why should people in other states care what the laws are in vic? really how much does a bite in victoria impact on keeping vens in another state.
maybe it a elitist thing where the ven keepers in other states believe they are better then us keepers in vic so dont want us to have as easy access to the animals.
a really simple solution to there problem would be dont move to victoria if you dont like the laws and if someone from vic wants to by a ven from you dont sell it to them.

maybe us victorian keepers should start a petition about getting the other states to limit the amount of species they can keep to make it the same as the victorian list.

My only concern is that an inexperienced person can turn 18 pay their money for a permit and buy a coastal taipan, inland, or brown as their first ever reptile. I would NOT sign any petition about tightening laws in Victoria, but I disagree with Bushfire in that anyone with an advanced permit can buy taipans etc with no expereince, that increases the risk exposure and is one reason why other states have a graduated system, this way there are steps to go through (often too tough) to prove you are capable, this reduces the chance a family will sue the department for issuing a permit to an inexperienced person who is subsequently bitten and dies or suffers perminant damage.

My only concern is that an inexperienced person can turn 18 pay their money for a permit and buy a coastal taipan, inland, or brown as their first ever reptile. I would NOT sign any petition about tightening laws in Victoria, but I disagree with Bushfire in that anyone with an advanced permit can buy taipans etc with no expereince, that increases the risk exposure and is one reason why other states have a graduated system, this way there are steps to go through (often too tough) to prove you are capable, this reduces the chance a family will sue the department for issuing a permit to an inexperienced person who is subsequently bitten and dies or suffers perminant damage.

Spot on there. The last thing the snake keeping community needs is inexperienced novices purhcasing snakes, getting bitten (or worse there friends or family getting bitten). We need to police this carefully but not over the top. As it stands, I think QLD has the best Venomus keeping laws in Australia at the moment. But then again, I am biased.

Oh, I do not keep elapids; however, one day I hope to. Maybe in about 5 years time. We will see what happens.

Having worked with most state licensing bodies, I can say that there is NO perfect system, there is always faults, just ask those who want crocs!!!

My only concern is that an inexperienced person can turn 18 pay their money for a permit and buy a coastal taipan, inland, or brown as their first ever reptile.

that is why i think people in the hobby/industry should take some responsibility and only sell these types of snakes and other dangerous or hard to keep animals to people who are responsible and experienced enough to keep them, not just make a sale to make a quick buck.

But unlike the majority of other states the vic system is one of the oldest systems in place yet the inexperienced getten bitten by their pet snakes hasnt become an issue you mostly hear of those more experienced, the ones that would of passed any interstate test anyway. If you are over 18 you are responsible for your actions. As for the legalities if that fear is so great add a disclaimer to the conditions, not only for venomous but for any damage or injuries involving so called pet wildlife.

Last edited:
I don't see the problem personally. Once you turn 18 you are responsible for your own actions - you can smoke, drink and drive like an idiot if you choose to. Those who choose to keep vens have to realise the cosequences of poor judgement with these snakes. Put plainly its natural selection; those who can will survive and those who can't shall perish.

why should people in other states care what the vic laws are.
i personally think the vic laws are great , pay your money and heres your license.

yeh true but i like the queensland licencing better because instead of $60 for one year you pay like $60 for five :)

yeh true but i like the queensland licencing better because instead of $60 for one year you pay like $60 for five :)

i like the $60 part but for roughly $150 a year at least we can keep crocs. lol

i would rather pay the extra

I went and brought my mice from a breeder in Mittagong about 3 weeks ago. She asked would I like to sign this, to which I replied no it doesnt have anything to do with me, we arnt on that system. Then I got told about oh but the public safety etc. I had a laugh and left not thinking much of it, I dont have a copy. But Tuesday another guy in Canberra said he got asked from his local pet shop. We both had a laugh about it but he said 50 ppl put pen to paper. I started this thread wondering who else heard it.

Jealousy:) Next they will be wanting to ban crocs and gliders.

The issue with the legal side of things is a permit to keep implies a level of control and regulation, therefore a level of responsibility by the licensing body, this could easily make them a mark for legal action if a person has a serious injury due to an inadequate licensing system that would allow inexperienced keeps to have "dangerous" animals as pets. Robbo, how many "responsible" breeders of dogs sell pit bulls as American staffies? There is and always will be irresponsible breeders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back