Monster or moggie? Claws out in catfight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These cats (some are 2 ft.high themselves) can leap 10 ft in the air to catch a bird. Far out...that says it all

Interesting kitty facts - NOT

Forgot to mention they can also swim quite well and climb...nothing will be safe
I betcha they are bloody strong too

It is all well and good if the cats are sold desexed, but that doesn't stop them killing our wildlife and yes I agree they should cost thousands of $$ to buy, that way you would hope that whoever bought them cared enough (about their money if not the wildlife) to keep the cat in a suitable enclosure.
But I don't think we need anymore cats in Australia, we can't even keep control of the ones we've got now!

"Big enough to hun koalas"

I had a worried call from Australia (and no doubt the world's) only koala chiropractor, Shane Wassington. No joke. He was concerned that if feral cats grow larger, they may become capable of taking on a koala - a species that has never really had to cope with a climbing predator.
We have no idea really whether bigger cats would engage in prey-switching. But Spencer's paper shows new genes into a population can lead to growth in the population. Savannah cats are bred to be big. One of the importing companies says on its website it's "F5s" are more like "F3s" in appearance (ie more like a serval) and once they have the animals in Australia, they'll be breeding for serval appearance - that means big cats doesn't it?

It is all well and good if the cats are sold desexed, but that doesn't stop them killing our wildlife and yes I agree they should cost thousands of $$ to buy, that way you would hope that whoever bought them cared enough (about their money if not the wildlife) to keep the cat in a suitable enclosure.

No, because the same people that buy these ugly looking mongrels will be the same ego-driven fools that need a big shiny SUV to get them to the shops, kids to school etc, with nil regard for the environment.
When the status-symbol gets too big and too unmanageable, they'll simply let it go. Guaranteed.

Bombard http://www.savannahcats.com.au/ with emails making them aware of your position. The real danger is not the cats, it's the importers and the idiots that will inevitably buy them.

I've been reading up on wildlife site about them cats and can see them becoming the next biggest problem and they can't ban importing them because they are classed as domestic pets

Oh wow, im sooo excited now, as you can tell from my username im obsessed with servals, mind you i love our aussie wildlife too, so cat-lovers will hate me when i buy a savannah, as it will be locked up in a huge cage/avairy.... I better start saving.....

it looks very similar too the bengal cat also a cross with the domestic cat there price tag started of at thousands and now you can get them for $350 my neighbor has one like a mini leopard.

Well I can certainly understand why they wouldn't let us bring in a multi generation captive bred Leopard Tortoise from the UK, just imagine the devastation it would cause compared to that harmless little puddy cat.

You're a funny guy Boa. I presume this was a saracastic comment :p Problem with these puddy cats is they aren't a little cat which means they will be capable of pulling down larger prey such as livestock, and adding to our already cat problem who is wiping out a lot of our native animals :( Our quolls are about to be added to the endangered list and cats are the major blame followed then by the dogs.

as said before if we can bring them into ustralia why arnt we aloud to bring red tail boas and corns into oz?

as said before if we can bring them into ustralia why arnt we aloud to bring red tail boas and corns into oz?

Sadly corns and boas are already here - as said before it's sicking that people just want more and more different animals and we can't live unless we are changing the normal way of life - correct me if I'm wrong but ain't they now in the middle of fomenting designer baby's?
What happens when they have crossed everything on earth - do we then blow everything up and start again or will there be anything left to blow up?

I did not bother to read every silly little reply on this thread, unless you understand cats in general, and from a breeders point of view , you will not under stand where he is coming from FIFTH GEN, cats that have been bred in captivity for more then five litters minium and after this time, allowing one litter a year - this ensures good blood lines. AND if you read the price tag attached and the requirements they ask for, for the sale to happen, you would be silly to spend that sort of money on a cat to allow to go wild. These sort of cats are bred for there tempermate and look - for showing!! NOT for release in to the wild.

These people have not said any thing about wild dogs it was the critics that did.

Go use goggle and read they front page it will tell you a lot about the people they are and the animals they breed - you should not bag feral cats but there feral owners, they have to start some where and it is usually the owners.

DON'T get me wrong, if it is feral and destrying our wild life - i think it needs to be put down humanely - i will even help you do it - but don't bag out a breed of cats that you do not enough about.

love you all - look forward to your stupid replys

DON'T get me wrong, if it is feral and destrying our wild life - i think it needs to be put down humanely - i will even help you do it - but don't bag out a breed of cats that you do not enough about.

The point is, if cats were never imported then we wouldn't have the feral cat problem we now have.
So why import more?

So i'll "bag out" all cats...

The fact that a significant number of cats (and other species too for that matter) got into Australia before quarantined measures were put in place is bad enough. To my mind measures now need to taken to reduce their numbers both in the wild and domestically.

It is sheer lunacy to introduce into the gene pool genetics from larger non domestic species. Just one escaped Tom out for one night can introduce into the feral cat population. This would be one cat that once let out of the bag cannot easily be put back in.

In all honesty. If you wish to keep these species then move to the US or Africa and go for it.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... yet ANOTHER introduced species to go wild and feral.............................. I totally disagree......... KEEP THEM OUT

When i have lots of money i plan to get one and be a responsible owner and never let it on the 'free dirt', it will be in a big avairy or in the house. I hate cats but this is the only one i would ever make a exception for.

[video=youtube;vt7KVs1DH1E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt7KVs1DH1E&feature=related[/video]

I have always liked the serval since i was a kid so when i learnt you can get them as a domestic cat cross i was blown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back