Injured Bluey

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried lots of vets but can't get in till 2pm.
I'm hoping it won't have to be euthed but if it is bad enough then i guess it will have to go to Lizard heaven.

Good news, the bluey didn't need to be euthed.
The vet has given it 0.005ml of meloxicam and i'm going back tomorrow for another injection of meloxicam.
One eye is actually looking better and i swear i saw it open it when i was flushing it's eyes before.
Vet thourghly inspected it's mouth and head and said there is no damage to the jaw or skull, which puzzled me as it has the weird bloody substance in the corner of it's mouth.
The vet advised for it to be kept warm and for me to offer it fluids via syringe and mushed up food.

Anyone else have any advise?

i would keep it i have 2 blueys mine have there eyes shut most of the time but when i hold them they have them open.....if it gets better i would keep it but it gets really bad i would get it put to sleep
not to high jeck but what is with blueys doing that? mine closes one eye all the time but there's nothing wrong with it at all no infection, swelling or iritation then when i pick him up he opens it. my husband is sure its some kind of nervous tick and he need therapy :p

I am not going to offer any more advice _ I think you have been given enough, but I would like to say -

As a wild life carer, what ever you choose to do , I know you will have the animals best interests in mind.

Good Luck and please let us know how the little man does.
PS - I always get good advise from the dragon lady.

i was thinking they were sleeping all day but they walk like thats so it may be just what they do they seem happy they eat and drink..

not to high jeck but what is with blueys doing that? mine closes one eye all the time but there's nothing wrong with it at all no infection, swelling or iritation then when i pick him up he opens it. my husband is sure its some kind of nervous tick and he need therapy :p

I don't know what your laws state in VIC but here in NSW if we obtain a sick or injured animal who cannot be released must be put down. We aren't allowed to keep them. But in the likes of reptiles and birds that can be kept on a license for, you can ask your Wildlife Care organisation to ask National Parks to give special permission to have the animal put on a license, if a vet declares is unreleasable. National Parks then gives your local Herp Society the authority to appropriately home the animal to someone who would be best to keep it.

I don't know what your laws state in VIC but here in NSW if we obtain a sick or injured animal who cannot be released must be put down. We aren't allowed to keep them. But in the likes of reptiles and birds that can be kept on a license for, you can ask your Wildlife Care organisation to ask National Parks to give special permission to have the animal put on a license, if a vet declares is unreleasable. National Parks then gives your local Herp Society the authority to appropriately home the animal to someone who would be best to keep it.
Vets and herp societies do not rule any outcome of disabled wildlife in NSW, it's the sole responsibility of the wildlife organisation to either release or eu.
It's almost impossible to get authority from NP for a disable native of any sort unless they are on the vulnerable / endagered list, if so they go to breeding programs at zoos

Did it get xrays?May show something that wasnt detected from looking in mouth?

Cant remember what it is called but there is a liquid supplement available from most pet stores with a decent reptile range and it is specifically desgined for reptiles who arent eating and you squirt it into mouth and it gives them hits of the important vitamins etc.

Did it get xrays?May show something that wasnt detected from looking in mouth?

Getting xrays done today hopefully. The vet wanted to wait till the swelling went down a bit so it would be clearer on xray.

It's looking better today and i think one of the eyes just might open.

fingers crossed for 1 working eye for mr bluey!!! :)

Ok, Just got back from the vets with the bluey.
The vet has done Xrays and ultrasound and there was no injury or broken bones.........Woohoo:):)
The vet managed to get the bluey to half open one eye and he feels that the eye is viable. :):):)
And to top it all off the vet sexed the bluey whist ultrasounding and then with a probe. It's a little girl.

thats awesome news!!

hopefully she'll be able to make a full recovery (well, minus 1 eye) and go on to live a happy life!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back