Costs of snake food in petshops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

euphorion

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Okay having a rant here...

The one time i actually needed to get some day old chicks from pythoness and she had to clear her freezer a few days ago edited, bad language. So, off i go to the local petshop that i know has supplies of frozen rodents (already drastically over-priced, we're talking $2.80 for a FUZZY MOUSE OMG) Now, i was hoping to just pick up a single chick to see how the little snake in question went with that, at first they didnt think they had any until spending a few minutes rummaging through the freezer when out pops a bag of a few day-old chickies. "How much each?" i ask so naively....

$7 each!!

WHAT THE!? i almost had a heart attack on the spot. ONE CHICK FOR $7!?!?

Yes i've had my cup of tea, calmed down now... So if the silly bugger doesn't eat that chick i think im going to have a tantrum.

Anyone else with rant stories??

Meh I cant complain anymore as I breed my own rodents, its not hard at all and definately saves money!

Some petshops are worse than others though, I remember paying $4.80 for one weaner mouse a while ago, nearly fell over.

Thats why you just never let yourself run short so its not a rush to get some :D

Woaahhh $7 a chick forget that! I haven't needed to buy snake food for a few years now (thankgod) but a friend went in recently to get a couple rats she called me an said that a med rat was going for like 7-8 dollars each! it's a joke considering their only paying a dollar or 2 at the most....

Meh I cant complain anymore as I breed my own rodents, its not hard at all and definately saves money!

Some petshops are worse than others though, I remember paying $4.80 for one weaner mouse a while ago, nearly fell over.

Thats why you just never let yourself run short so its not a rush to get some :D

Same here VixenBabe, I could no long pay the $3.20 for velvet rats or $6 for weaners. Breed your own.

anyone in the inner west that buys in bulk or breeds? i'd love to chip in. i get bent over for rptile food all the time. pm me please. i don't have the room to breed my own food.

Callith, What your 18 years old and own your own pet shop?!

But yeah I couldn't believe that prices either it is CRAZY!! Thats why I buy my rats and mice off other APS members. They can relate to the situation and don't go stupid with prices. Jay76 is pretty good!! and local!:D

Callith, What your 18 years old and own your own pet shop?!

But yeah I couldn't believe that prices either it is CRAZY!! Thats why I buy my rats and mice off other APS members. They can relate to the situation and don't go stupid with prices. Jay76 is pretty good!! and local!:D

nah, i actually own a chain of them

I do not buy my rodents and chicks from pet shops because of the cost but hey it's a free market system, if you don't like the price don't buy them. How many of the complainers are employed in jobs providing products or services that might also be considered overpriced. Where do you think your wages come from?

$7.95 for 5 where I get them from and I am in Brisbane too.

Cheers Andrew

my mate told me last night that she aid $21 for 3 medium rats!!!

Oh man, when I first got my spotted python I thought I was cruising sweet by only paying 1.50 for a pinkie. Compared to cat food it's amazingly cheap. Then they ran out for a month and I freaked out thinking my baby would starve, so got in contact with Barry's rodents through here, and realised I was getting a bit ripped off.

But still... compared to cats or dogs, snake feeding costs next to nothing so I'm not supprised pet stores up the prices so much, for reptile newbies won't know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back