Every species?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon lady

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was told the other day that humans have 9000 taste buds

so if a animal of equal size....say gorilla... doesnt eat meat
so would they have less or more taste buds?

so....say a dragon who eats both greens & veg....& a monitor who just eats meat
would they have the same number of taste buds...being if they are of equal size?
or would a monitor have lees taste buds being that it only eats meat?????:?

wow how random yet id be pretty keen to no the answer to that maybe google?

cant see asking Google...hmm well how many tastebuds???...lol
hoping there is a brainiac here

members are from all walks of life...
Scorps...yes would love a answer

now if I remember right from science in year 9...we all have the same amount of tastebuds, including animals, but those who are strictly herbi. or carni., their taste buds are less sensitive to that of an omni. (like ourselves, BD's, ect). so if a moniter for instance were to be eating meat, and somehow ate some greens that was in the meat, it wouldn't notice (unless it's a huge amount) because it's tastebuds for that particular thing isn't sensitive enough to taste it.

I could be very very wrong here, and someone please correct me if I am, it's the only way I learn lol. I do sort of remember doing this a couple of years back in year 9 science.

hope it helps :)

Gorillas should have similar or better sense of taste to humans.
Taste is the ability to taste Sour, Sweat, Salty, bitter – not odors.
Olfactory (Smell) is the ability detect odors or smells (How you determine a food type)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfaction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_bud

Been vegetarian means there is a major need to detect sweat, Sour, Salty, Bitter (Poison). If you watch vegetarian animals eating – they will taste the food before eating. My pets lick a new food type before eating the food. (They are tasting the food to determine fit for consumption and tend to avoid bitter foods – such as bitter lettuce). Snakes – meat eaters do not have any taste buds – but instead have a well developed olfactory organ (Can be seen by dissecting their head and note the large area of the brain used for this sensory operation).

I would expect Gorillas and other vegetarians to have a well developed taste buds similar of better than humans. Vegetarian sense of smell (Olfactory sensory) may not be as well developed as carnivorous animals. As a side note women have a better developed Olfactory sensory than men.

Every single animal on this planet has EXACTLY 10000 taste buds. They know this because they measure this with a taste budometer which is a sophisticated device that is usually inserted orally and measures tastebuds.

Ants and fleas were very hard to test as they couldn't get them to open wide enough. And the hippo's also consumed at least 14 taste budometers making this one of the most expensive (but yet conclusive) science experiments ever conducted.

in relation to reptiles, i would say they have very little taste-buds.. they are often located near the back of the tongue/throat rather then all over the tongue like a human. they are used to tell if a food item is sutable. (eg. poisonous, sour, bad) but in human ways, its a satisfactory sense of pleasure when used properly. hence why we over eat an incredible amount as a human race.

they mostly use the vomeronasal organ (jacobsons organ) to taste/smell. this is why the lick and flick their tongues...

then again, wood roaches have a natural taste and smell that is meant to deter preditors from eating them, but we all know this rarely works on our captive reptiles..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back