Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
good on you guys for killing aussies pests! I see evidence of pigs everywhere in the bush around cairns.. I also saw a hare the other night too, which is a very bad sign they're coming up this way now too

yea mate we got a 16 and a 12 up at mt thomas will post pics soon

Hunted in the Peeramon Pig Hunting Competition on the weekend and did well. We managed 22 pigs and took 2nd place largest sow and 2nd place aggrigate weight so we were pretty happy. Recieved great prizes and had a good time out with my mates and my 2 sons. Tonnes of pigs were brought in and everyone had a great time. Cheers all Matt
0608081051-00.jpg

0608081045-00.jpg

07-06-08_0839.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

Probably sell them to game abbatoirs, apparently the Eurpoeans are big on game meat.

Good on you for getting rid of this destructive feral species.

Chloepython they put all the pigs in a big truck and buried them. They were all off and pigs that are caught and used for human consumpyion are to be clean and dressed and handled in a certain way. Good to get rid of a heap of pigs in one go anyway ! :lol:Cheers all , Matty

I havent had much experience hunting. Outside of hunting paper targets with an M16 in cadets at Singleton :)

But I guess the 'ethics' thing comes up from time to time with any form of hunting (be it fishing, pigging, game etc). No-one is suggesting wanton slaughter of endangered animals obviously, but a bloke I met and worked with up until recently summed it up perfectly.

Probably some people here would know a taxidermist/hunter called John Robinson (ex Victoria). He had an interest in hunting from his father. His fathers motto was "only shoot out of necessity". Be it feral animals, food or research, only kill out of necessity. As a teen (late teens) he shot a bird (cant remember the species) that was incredibly hard to get - skittish and erratic. Obviously stoked with getting one he showed his father, who then told him it was unnecessary . Threatened him with taking his rifles off him unless he could 'use' the bird. So began taxidermy.

A bit later when a mate bagged a big stag on a farm, he offered to try to mount it after the bloke froze at the costs of transport/ freezing/mounting. He reckons it was a bit rough, but it looked good. Things took off from there.

He was my boss, and Id heard a few stories about him, but I couldnt place him in hunting etc? Only a shortish slim bloke, grey hair, pushing 65 and very reserved. But when pushed for some stories......

He went on to work in Africa for donkeys years. Some for museums, and some to sort out rogues (predominately cheetahs, leopards and lions that had encroached and killed). Stories about sitting in the front of the old Jeeps that had the flip-down windscreen, with a rifle across the bonnet. All the while with a 4" leather collar around the throat in case the leopard struck. ... apparently cheetahs and leopards go for the throat, whilst lions barrel you over, grab a leg and drag, with most prey dying from shock.

He told me about how you defend against a cheetah - tuck your head down and bring your knees up against your chest as the cheetah will grab you by the throat and rake its back claws down your abdomen to disembowel you. Thumbs in the eyes, pushing back and try to flip its weight over the top of you.

How a guide he knew had worked in the field for many years and lost control of his foot after being attacked by a lion. He only carried two knives, and this was what saved his life.

Came back the next season with a hunter and gave him explicit instructions. Do not leave the vehicle under ANY circumstances. The hunter shot a lion, but only wounded it, so the guide set off after it to do the right thing. After a few minutes the hunter decided to go look and found the guide in a bad way. The lion ambushed the guard and had taken the same leg that the first one attacked. The hunter shot the lion. The guide came back the next season..... :shock:

Sorry to ramble, but whilst it's fresh in my mind! Should be a book written about John - incredible skill and experience.

well Done matty make me jelouse just had another dry run, well not dry WE rode round in rain for nothin(thats huntin)

Good catch by the dogs on Friday morning and saturday. Saturday was real good as i was by myself and it was very thick jungle. Dogs are hunting very well at present. Matty

DSC02943.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

DSC02947.jpg

DSC02957-2.jpg

DSC02951-1.jpg

The boys in the top picture are from Pommy Land and youve never seen two big fellas with white faces as these two :lol: Was a good laugh but they enjoyed themselves anyway. Matt

Loving this thread, and keep up the good work!! I'm also extremely jealous!! I use to go piggin nearly every weekend around the tully area (a while ago now, before there was more trappin than piggin with dogs). I love the rush, and my pride of the dogs workin a pig. Being the big pansy that I am though, I never stepped in and did the killin stick to the pig. Something I would love to try though! - I've a friend whose just moved back to Bowen, onto a lrg property, and she's invited me to go piggin with her. Can't wait and I'm counting down the days!!!!!!!!

Matty I have to say those 2 pups of yours are damn gorgeous!!!! This thread has also opened up my eyes so much to the different breeds ppl use!! The hunters I use to hang around and most that I knew always had bully/arab/mastiff/pitty x's. So keep this thread going - lovin it!!!

Thanx Foxy. Love my hunting , love my dogs and love the Aussie bush ! Oh and Aussie Reptiles :lol: Your right , its a rush and even people that havnt been before love it. Its supprising as it can be quite brutal but so is nature. More people need to do it as the pig and other feral numbers are out of control. Ive been working in the hills behind Ravenshoe this week and the pig damage up there is unbelievable !!! Cheers all Matty

nice photos never bien hunting love to go id rather use gun first time as arnt game enough to use a knife
is there any hunting spots down brisbane ways if so where thanks

good work killen the ferels

Colt , ya gotta find some hunters and tag along with them. visit a bow hunting club or rifle range and have a chat with some fellas. Be careful as most people are very protective of their spots and properties. Make sure you dont betray their trust or that of a land holder and you will recieve more than double your efforts. Great thing to get into , just take your time and hook up with good fellas. Cheers mate. Plenty of ferals for all ;) Matty

yep its a great hobby...clearing the bush of all the feral rubbish getting around. i myself have been hunting since a youngster and my partner, along with a few other APS members are booked in for the gun safety course for next month, so we will be back into it in no time! cant wait to get amonst them, aswell as some herp trips while we are at it!

Hey Matty some awsome hogs as usual!!! having a bad dry spell at moment and its tickin me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back