To the Frillie Breeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushfire

Reaction score
This ones for the frillneck breeders out there. Ive heard that in these guys the temperature of incubation can influence the hatchling sex, does anyone use this method as Im looking at buying a trio this season and only want one male.

lolz good luck trying to sex them....it's damn near impossible at a young age...And yes heat does generally determine the sex of the clutch, I believe that is the case with most reptiles?...

I think this occurs with lots of reptiles doesn't it? I know at the ARP they use temps to keep their alligator populations balanced...

For Frillies, hotter and cooler temps produce females, whilst males are produced at intermediate temps. For more info, check out the paper at the link below. You are certainly not 100% guaranteed to get a male at any certain temp though.
http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/Shinelab/publications/reprints/220tsdfrillneck.pdf

I would not say that most reptile have Temperature-dependant Sex Determination (TSD), however many do. Crocodilians, Tuataras, sea turtles and many lizards do. Examples include many agamids and geckos. However, it is very variable, with some species in a genera having TSD whilst other species have genetic sex determination (eg. Ctenophorus).

Hope this helps,

Macca

I understand the science behind it but I havent heard of many breeders using it and as it seems harder to find female frillies, Id like to find a breeder that uses this method so my chances of getting a female would be higher than just a random choice.

im not convinced about it being the case with frillys,but havnt bred them my self,ive never heard of an all male,or all female clutch,its also not in most reptiles,what u mention in frillys was supposedly beleived to possably occur in bearded dragons to,but mine ive bred have ended up a mix of both sexes,water dragons is a different story,the temp definatly determines there sex,ive incubated water dragons in the same incubater as the beardeds and they all turned out male,thats 11 clutches varying from 9 to 16 eggs per clutch,all were male,this season i raised the temps a touch to try for all females,early days still,but the 12 i have all appear female,no red in chests yet,which usually show through by this time,so fingers crossed i got the temps sussed,lol,with juvie dragons,especially beardeds and frillys its the luck of the draw im afraid,if u get 3 or more u stand a great chance of at least getting a pr

I think in Frillnecks 26oC and 32oC produce mostly girls while 29oC produced 80% boys. The article linked above written by Peter Harlow and Rick Shine would give more detailed results. I first heard of it when Peter Harlow gave a talk some yrs ago at a VHS meeting. Alot of dragons use TDSD, however richard in the case of beardies the temps needed to get mostly girls was often fatal, 36oC and 20-21oC (?). They would die in the egg or die shortly after hatching, so would be no good for breeders to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back