Inbreeding Bearded Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's that, you've got no proof to back up your claims? Hardly surprising :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What's that, you've got no proof to back up your claims? Hardly surprising :)

anyone that can work google and a telephone will find tested and positive dragons within australia since 2001.

anyone that can work google and a telephone will find tested and positive dragons within australia since 2001.

I think someone is taking the INTERNET a little TO seriously...

APS should start up a boxing ring, itll bring in a little more $$ for the site, plus we can all place bets. Hahaha

The biggest biggest way of weakening genes is by raising every single bearded, pampering the weaker ones, esp those that are nicely coloured, just to re breed with them. We seem to loose sight that a great percentage of the reptiles we breed would not make it in the wild, but we force feed, pump them full of antibiotics just to keep them alive. We are weaking the genes of or multi generation reptiles just by breeding them.

I'm not saying I don't beleive you about the adeno-virus in Australia Kirby. But I think you should try and show everyone some proof, just to give more credability to your claims. Please dont take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to give you some helpful advice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agamid_adenovirus.

the first paragraph,...copied and pasted,...

Agamid adenovirus (Agamid AdV1) is a type of virus in the Adenoviridae family. The virus is widespread in captive populations of Pogona vitticeps, known commonly as the Inland Bearded Dragon, in the United States. Other countries with confirmed cases are Australia, Japan, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, UK and Central America (El Salvador).[1] It is often discovered in association with other infections, and causes increased juvenile mortality and adult deaths.[2]

with the amount of exotics t =hat still make it into the county i cant believe people could doubt that!!

Please dont take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to give you some helpful advice.[/quote]
lmao greg.you were the one saying you had a problem in the 1st place and now your offering helpful advice maybe you should of found out some things before you shot your mouth off mmmmmmmm

The helpful advice was about the adeno-virus thing.
If we are back on inbreeding, I was just stating my opinion and I've enjoyed all the different opinions and points of view so far, but not the bickering. I still dont really see the point of intentional inbreeding in beardies, and would never do it myself, but I now respect other people's rights and and opinions in doing so. I've learnt alot from this thread and I would definately "shoot my mouth off" again.

P.S. Thanks Chris for the info

greg, these people should be more then capable of finding evidence and tested dragons themselves.

and i wasn't even thinking of wiki-pedia as a source.. but thanks for the post Chris.. :)

You still havent answered my question.
So how many beardies have you bred and how much actual experience do you have?

Several highly experienced breeders have posted here saying they have not observed any problems after multiple generations, yet you with zero experience and zero evidence, completely disregard what they have said. That pretty much sums every thread you get involved in. The world according to Kirby :rolleyes:

The biggest biggest way of weakening genes is by raising every single bearded, pampering the weaker ones, esp those that are nicely coloured, just to re breed with them. We seem to loose sight that a great percentage of the reptiles we breed would not make it in the wild, but we force feed, pump them full of antibiotics just to keep them alive. We are weaking the genes of or multi generation reptiles just by breeding them.

Jason, you'vre nailed in it one. Weak animals come from indisrimant breeding not from inbreeding.

Major breeders have many animals to choose from when selecting pairings, weak ones are certainly not used. If one of my pairings throws sickly or deformed babies they will be culled and the parents never bred again. This eliminates ongoing genetic problems.

This does not apply for the majority of small time breeders as they simply do not have the numbers to be selective with. Also, sadly, some people will breed any two animals regardless of their health, history, and match.

If you breed beardies (or any other animal for that matter) then it is your responsiblity to cull (or otherwise take care off) any defective animals that may occur.

Typical thread, Jasons hit the nail on the head, poorer feeders should be culled to prevent a bad line, like whats happened in the us, full of bad lines, has nothing to do with inbreeding, like in the wild its survival of the fitest.
Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back