for all the eggheads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe these eggheads are trying to compensate for something.

Maybe the eggheads are sick of reading illegible dribble that gets posted on here day after day .:D

or maybe you could be right ....:lol:

either way , the eggheads and the bad spellers are here to stay , not much we can do about either .

Simple egghead solution - install Mozilla Firefox, it has an inbuilt spell checker :)

Ah well,if people who care about how they string words together and make a bit of an effort are Eggheads then I guess the ones that don't can be Pinheads !

I have commented on spelling and grammar in the past - but only rarely, and only on particularly painful posts...

I do, however, find it quite painful to sift through barely legible posts on a regular basis - and I must admit that it disturbs me just how regular that is becoming...and for the record, I do not respond to 'text' message-esque posts, if you put no effort in, neither will I...

In saying that, I do agree that many of the 'spelling Police' jump up and down far too quickly on obvious typos and the like...

What really irks me about this though is that a even if you are too lazy to proof read your own post - your only one lazy click away from a well spelt post - and yet the 'spell check' is obviously one of the most neglected tools within this forum...

Which leads me to my next point, this is a forum, where text is the only way to get a point/question across - this is far less effective when a post needs to be re-read numerous times to actually decipher the meaning of the post...

Ignorance has been mentioned here in reference to the 'eggheads' - the only ignorance I see is the fact that those using correct grammar and English are the ones being labelled as ignorant...

Ok Ok I will download the spellchecker, go back to school, go through the kids grammer books, hook myself up to a machine that sends a couple 1000 volts through me if I post a mistake, all for this forum:) (Stuff work they can put up with my error laiden notes):)

Ok I'm back, downloaded ispell or whatever, gone around antivirus, and hey presto no more errors!:)

Have a nice day:D
(Although

Ok Ok I will download the spellchecker, go back to school, go through the kids grammer books, hook myself up to a machine that sends a couple 1000 volts through me if I post a mistake, all for this forum:) (Stuff work they can put up with my error laiden notes):)

Ok I'm back, downloaded ispell or whatever, gone around antivirus, and hey presto no more errors!:)

Have a nice day:D
(Although I am with Redbelly on this one).
See I downloaded it and I ended up with a double posting, incomplete, and I still don't know if the spellcheck worked. I didn't even ask it to be posted yet:( Some times I really hate computers.

Last edited:
Personally I see no harm in learning to spell correctly ;) If you can't/don't want to use spell check, then at least try and think before you type!
Some threads I read that are jam packed with errors make my head hurt! >.< Also extreme abbreviations in threads drive me crazy!

I don't really mind if people have trouble spelling, or use poor punctuation and grammar, as long as they're doing their best to deliver their message as clearly as they are capable of. On the other hand, if they are clearly being lazy, I don't see any point in forcing myself to translate their words into English. There is a difference between being unable to spell and not bothering to ensure that words such as 'the' are not spelled as 'teh'. There's a difference between using poor grammar and using abbreviations and acronyms which make the (many) readers have to stop and translate because the (single) writer was too lazy to type the whole thing.

As someone else said, if they put no effort into making their question readable, I see no reason to put effort into answering their question, or even reading it. Communication comes down to courtesy. If you want to be taken seriously, take the time and effort to do your best to be courteous to your audience. You don't need to go overboard or be perfect, but put in an appropriate amount of effort.

Have you noticed that answers tend to be typed more nicely than questions? It's interesting, isn't it? The type of person who is courteous and helpful enough to answer a question is likely to be the type of person who cares about others. If I see that someone has taken the time to make their question as clear and readable as possible, I see that they have respect for others and I feel inclined to help them.

I'd like to think that the use of proper English is usually done out of courtesy and a desire for efficiency. I think that's more often the case than trying to look better than others.

FFS, AYFIWCTPSGAD.

I see both sides here but it can be humiliating when somebody picks on you for your grammar, god knows I am hopeless at spelling but lets all try to think how others will feel when you correct them - words can come across cold at times

Do you mean grammar? I wasn't sure because i am an egghead and I switch off after one misspelling.

haha ill give you that one, you have successfully humiliated me !

I hope i made your day :)

I see both sides here but it can be humiliating when somebody picks on you for your grammar, god knows I am hopeless at spelling but lets all try to think how others will feel when you correct them - words can come across cold at times

It's not nice to pick on others' language skills either. I don't often see people being picked on for it unless they're being nasty, or extremely lazy. Don't get too upset about what anyone says online; these forums shouldn't be taken too seriously :)

dragon lady: it was an ironic joke which few people will find amusing :p It's an acronym.

adazz: you actually found it funny? Wow! :shock:

:lol:

To be honest Sdaji, all I care about is chatting with people about reptiles that’s why I’m a member of this forum

If you have time to sit there and spell check everyone's threads then you have time to go outside and plant a new tree to perhaps attract a wild reptile to your yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back