Recent bagging of Reptiles Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimera

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am getting quite sick of seeing some of the recent slamming of Reptiles Australia, so much so that it has prompted me to do a quick comparison between Issue 4 in each of the 4 volumes then compare this to Reptiles magazine.

Overall I feel the quality has remained constant across all 4 volumes and before we slam it we should probably consider a few points. Firstly, Reptiles Australia has a fair skew towards the keeping aspect rather then wild herps. This is probably due to the fact that this is the stronger market. Secondly, there is a strong focus on Australian reptiles. This again removed the direct competition from Reptiles magazine which covers reptiles of the world. Finally, reptile keeping (in NSW at least) has a strong focus on only a few species. This limits the "interesting" information available on commonly kept species leaving the only option available to look at uncommon and new species.

Someone said that they read the last issue of Reptiles Australia 10 minutes, perhaps that is due to one of the main articles being on mites. Unfortunately more experienced people will breeze through these articles, doesn't mean they shouldn't be published.

Below is the comparison, maybe people should think about the logistics of producing a magazine on reptiles before slamming one. There is a reason that Monitor magazine no longer exists.

Vol 1
Pages: 54
Sections#: 14
Full page images:4
# Full Page Ads: 8

Vol 2
Pages: 54
Sections#: 12
Full page images:2
# Full Page Ads:12

Vol 3
Pages: 66
Sections#: 8
Full page images:13
# Full Page Ads:14

Vol 4
Pages: 62
Sections#: 11
Full page images:9
# Full Page Ads:13

Reptiles Magazine
Pages: 92
Sections#: 22
Full page images:5
# Full Page Ads:20

I agree, i don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. It's still only in its infancy. The US mags didn't become what they are today in just a few years. It takes a lot of time; the magazine will evole with the hobby and as the hobby grows so too will the size and quality of the mag.

On another note, i think the last issue was the best yet, although i may be a little biased as it was the first time one of my herps made it to print. :p

I think Reptiles Australia is a fantastic magazine. Like what has been said..it takes time to build a quality magazine up.

I am like an addict! I can't wait for the new mag to come out so I can get my next "fix" !! It has heaps of info and tips. I LOVE it!!

i subscribed to it and cant wait either..... keep them coming.....

im also stoked we have an aussie herp mag,theres no pleasing everyone i guess,i think it will get better in time to,but really ,i find it quite good now,with a new mag on the cards we will have 2 going around so things look better and better

Oh, I failed to mention the new mag which I am waiting for release very shortly of which I am sure you are aware. If it is anywhere near the qualtiy of RA then they will sell a bundle of them.

I do not have a problem with the quality of RA, although for my personal tastes the last issue was not great, with the exception of Mr Bredli's picture of course. That said I am sure that other issues that had articles that really interested me, others would have found boring. Unfortunately you cannot keep everybody happy with every issue.

My only problem with RA was a subscription issue which dragged on for several months, but has now been rectified.

I have a solution! If you don't like the magazine and can't see what it's worth...then don't buy it!!

I on the other hand, will continue to support a growing business.

I love RA. I got a subscription for Christmas. The only issue I have is not knowing when the next one will be coming.

I subscribe to Reptiles Australia and think it is a high quality mag.

Reptiles Australia is great!:D
Much better that all those stupid celebrety magazines.:evil:
At least with Reptiles Australia you actualy learn something.:D

Plz excuse my bad spelling.:oops:

Dragon1

Aussie reptile mags that only have Australian reptile content is the way to go,
the exotic content in any mag , IE Monitor etc.
In my opinion only encourages illegal activities and or hybridising issues .

Usually a keeper being pro exotics also means they are pro hybrids ??

If i want to see exotic reptiles then ill make the trip to the Zoo myself,

my 2 cents

Wow, you actually started a thread based on 3 peoples negative comments. I wouldn't call that a massive bagging of RA magazine.

Wow, you actually started a thread based on 3 peoples negative comments. I wouldn't call that a massive bagging of RA magazine.

Actually it was more based on the specific comments made about Simon and RA on another forum. Given that the ringleader for this bagging was the forum administrator I didn't see a point in posting it on that particular forum. The phrase "it has gone downhill since Watherow has been running it" was the prompt for me to compare the 4 volumes and Reptiles magazine.

But since you put your hand up, it was your comment about reading it in 10 minutes that prompted my comments on some of the more basic topics, mite treatment hasn't really changed over the last 5 or so years. I'm sure given some of your recent topics here you would spend more then 10 minutes reading an article on brumation, breeding sizes or breeding carpets ;)

Which issue was the one that just came out? Was it the Black-headed python edition? Is that the most latest one?

I would buy it even if I did not think it was up to snuff as I think it is important that magazines of this nature exist and unless they have turn over they will not last for long.

I think the new mag is really going to struggle but I will by buying that also for the same reasons.

As for the other forum .... well lets say that this forum does a better job at giving most a fair go and is not run by a dictator with mood swings and other issues.

h/t..think that was supposed to be on the complaints thread!...lol

the magazine gives me everything i need.......& if not aps does

Could the fact there is ( i read it somewhere) possibly a new Oz magazine coming out, have anything to do with the alleged bagging?

btw i'm a subscriber and enjoy the mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back