new heat mat; low temps?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unkle

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just a quicky, picked up a new heat mat today (Exo-Terra 26.5 x 28cm 16watt). Plugged it in and set a temp probe right on the surface of the mat. It's been on for about an hour so I'm sure it's up to temp, but it's sitting at 26.6C. Seems crazy low since the probe is right on top; once it's under the enlosure with substrate on top, the temps are only going to drop further!

The enclosure is for a Bredli, so temps must be significantly higher than this.

Any thoughts? Did I get a dud?

16 watts should raise the temp about thirteen degrees above ambient temp so the room must be cold. Either heat the room or get a higher wattage matt.

Spot on; it's currently 15c ambient, and the mat is now sitting at 28.2c. Now, over night temps can get down to just about zero, meaning the mat would be around 13c? Is this too low for a Bredli? Perhaps I need a higher wattage mat with thermostat?

he means if the snake has eaten..not the heat mat. just clearing that up. i would personally not be happy with that, especially if the bredli is young. cold temps can cause respiratotry infections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back