Scrubby Setups??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurto

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

After recently getting my Class 2 license I can finally get me a scrubby!! I've wanted one for quite awhile now and am getting quite excited!!!

I'd love to be able to put him/her in an outside aviary, but living in Sydney I don't think that would be the right thing to do! I'd love to hear some advice from those who keep them indoors successfully. Mainly I want to know about enclosure size, proper temperature gradient and anything that varies greatly from keeping other Morelia species.

I'd love to see some pics of enclosures too.....

cheers,
Kurt

I had scrubbies a couple of years back, got them at 4ft long and they ended up being 12ft in around 2 years. I kept them from day one in 5ft x 2ft x 2ft enclosures with a single large infa-red heat globe at one end.

The Thermostat was positioned at 3/4 way along towards the hot end, and was set to 30 degrees. This gave a gradient of around 28 in the cool end to 35 in the hot end, and ofcause hotter directly under the globe (which was actually positioned to face into a corner at the hot end facing away from the rest of the cage)

In winter the cool end of the cage got down to about 23-25 degrees.

I would reckon anything over 12ft would require a bigger enclosure than this. An aviary would be ok but remember scrubbies are prone to infection if they are kept to cold. They will die. If I was doing this in sydney I would have basking lights shinning onto platforms and heated hides (as well as unheated ones). It could be a bit of a struggle.

My scrubbies had nothing to climb on at all and they did just fine. I think perches are great but trust me, trying to get a 10-12ft snake, that usually wants to kill you, out of an enclosure, while it is continously grabbing onto perches is a big pain in the @#$!!!

i wish i had a snake especially a srubby ;););) but i have 2 wait 8 years:shock::shock::shock::shock::(:(:(:cry::cry::cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back