Green Tree Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aoife

Reaction score
Aren't they the cutest!!!
I wish I could have some, they are my ultimate favourite!!!

[video=youtube;1avTCuIMdUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1avTCuIMdUg&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;23Nvo1Si3xc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Nvo1Si3xc&feature=related[/video]

One can only dream!!!:cry:

It is not out of the question. They are a species native to northern Queensland (and other places). They do not grow to big and their husbandry requirements are well understood.

It's a little more out of reach then you think. It is restricted to New Guinea and the surrounding islands, including a number of islands in the Torres Straight. It isn't found on the Australian mainland.

It's not that far out of reach macca, they are native to some part of Australia ableit remote and .......... and they're coming ;)

not found on the mainland,thats a different species,and good luck getting them even,lol,also they are quite common in over seas collections,yet no one breeds the consistantly,so they arent all plain sailing,but yeah there certainly attractive

Adrian Hogg a very knowledgeable reptile keeper who was doing tree kangaroo investigations up the cape 6 years ago, found one. ( assuming we are talking about primordius)?

I think they are referring to Prasinus

I can't actually remember what species Adrian what was reffering to, perhaps keithhornei even ? Aren't there specimens of this species that are green as well but not thought as being of this colour phase in Australia?

I don't question Adrian's observations, however, the only species officially known to exist in Cape York rainforests is Varanus keithhorni, which is grey. I have heard from the Rangers at Iron Range that green "morphs" were found but there is no real evidence (museum specimen, photograph, etc.) of any.
We also know that there are supposedly two official records of green pythons from Lockerbie Scrub. I personally question the integrity of these records - there are NO GTPs at Lockerbie and it soon will be published.

Keithhornei for the cape and prasinus for PNG and some islands of the torres strait (Moa island).As for green animals on the mainland these are keithhornei.The green they speak of is not the lime green of PNG Prasinus but a deep sea green so to speak and could be called anything from sea green to grey to light brown depending on who is making the description and there perception of colour.As for getting Prasinus in the reptile trade in Aus , dream on .It is gonna be a long way of.One other point that was made clear to me was if you could get a research permit and the land owners allowed you to take animals, there would be a customs/import problem bringing animals to the mainland along the lines of importing from oversea's.This would be a huge hurdle to overcome even for a research program.Last but not least; there is always someone who has the time,money and resourses to overcome these problems and no doubt will keep these animals in Aus one day.Just don't hold your breath.Cheers Troy.

gillsy, what you are publicly saying is interesting, exciting, news worthy but perhaps not very smart. I think it wouldn't be too hard for the authorities to find out who and where you are and you could the guest to uninvited visitors.
No offense, just a word of warning.

gillsy, what you are publicly saying is interesting, exciting, news worthy but perhaps not very smart. I think it wouldn't be too hard for the authorities to find out who and where you are and you could the guest to uninvited visitors.
No offense, just a word of warning.

***, have I said anything that indicates they are coming here illegally.

I'm happy to tell the authorities who I am, and some of the authorities already through the work with the reptile expo.

Don't assume anything!!

Hope there are not like the woma's going on class one and reptiles in shops and sydney wildlife world getting prasinus etc etc.Good for a laugh.:)

Woma's are going on class 1, at the next NAKCC meeting.

Reptiles in pet shops is being discussed now, the licensing aspects are being drawn up for approval by the minister.

Parsinus at wildlife world, didn't here that one. Considering alot fo the animals from SWW are from private collections and since they aren't in private collections it might be a bit hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back