Vote yes or no $ should u feed pythons while there shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you feed if your snake is in a shed?

• Yes

Votes: 99 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 57 36.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you dont, why? Is it because you have seen internet rumours about it being bad for them?
If it is shedding, I just see if it will take it, if it does, good for it!

My answer to this on my behalf would be; I am keeping snakes for some times and see no reason to feed them during shed. I have few bad sheds after feeding during shedding, specially when food was large, and most of my animals don't take food during shedding anyway. This is my personal choice. :)

I only have one snake that won't eat in a shed cycle, the others have no problem eating or shedding after eating.

Hey Mrillusion, remember this post you said to me and beeman?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrillusion
and i bet if there was a vote most people would say not to.

Look at the votes Sherlock.

LOL good call

YES, Your snake will let you know if they don't want to feed

(Sorry, Mr I, It was supposed to be yes or no, right>)

I voted no, I guess being such opportunist feeders most snakes probably will eat when shedding, can't say I have anything defininent to back that decision up, just something I wouldn't do to my snakes - to have them miss a meal to let them shed is no problem to me, I know they'l quite happily take the next meal without a problem.

One more think affected my decision not to feed during the shead. Majority of snakes don't take food during this time. Why they do that?
Some of my snakes take it any time, but this are few animals eating anything any time in any quantity.

I don't have really answer what is right and what is wrong, Just going by my feeling about this and by my own logic.
As I said, personal choice.

My answer to this on my behalf would be; I am keeping snakes for some times and see no reason to feed them during shed. I have few bad sheds after feeding during shedding, specially when food was large, and most of my animals don't take food during shedding anyway. This is my personal choice. :)

Thats fine with me, atleast i got an answer from someone. Some of mine i dont bother feeding either, because previous experiences tell me that they definately wont eat, and it is just a waste of food/time. Some take it food matter what.

mine usually refuse during shed anyway so when I first notice the change I don't offer food to avoid wastage. Large rats are hard to come by so don't want to have to throw them away.

Yes with no effect on shedding. Do refuse to eat more than usual but no problems when they do.

We offer food and if they don't eat it thats fine, if they eat it we find it helps them with their shed, we can usually tell if they will eat it or not, if their yes are basically white they won't eat it, if their eyes are just starting to go milky they will eat it and if their eyes have gone back to normal they will definately eat it. We have one snake that eating during a shed cycle always helps him shed, he will eat then within a day or two he will shed.

I do think you need a bit of common sense when feeding while the snake is on a shed cycle, like don't offer a food item that is too big for them or will stretch them too much, but then most feeds the snakes will only be offered a food item we know they can handle with no issues so the food item won't be too large for them the general rule of thumb is that the food item is not bigger then the width of the snake, but i thought most snake owners did the same.

mrillusion i am wondering too why you choose not to feed during the shed cycle? I don't think its right to say a very strong no without backing it up as to why you believe this, i don't think anyone will flame you for your decision.

My thoughts on why some don't eat on a shed is because it would stem back to wild instincts, they are actually blind..so don't risk grabbing the prey the wrong way around and get injured
Sometimes I cannot pick that they are going into shed and a normally eager feed won't eat..then I think oh must be shedding and sure enough....but then others eat like clockwork and do not refuse a feed....shedding or not!

Yep Fay. The vision can be also the reason. But after milking the vision usually come back and they still don't like to take it.
I newer worried about it to much. Always give them time off the food during this time and will do that in future. it works for me.

GARTHNFAY
I like your theory! I agree with your first paragraph.
I have found that feeding normal size rodents during the "sloughing" cycle, if they eat it; it nearly always ends up with snake shedding broken slough. Usually i have to finish rubbing off remaining patches of slough. When my biggest Venomous is touching 8 ft. Its better (safer) if i did not feed during this stage.
If your snake has the condition then there is no reason to feed during this cycle! It is preference.
Cheers

Well this may sound a little odd but one of my pythons prior to shedding and during shedding has a massive hungry apetite.

She is about to start shedding at the moment, All i have to do it walk near her enclosure and she comes out looking for food.

She would eat every day if she could at the moment not that she gets that.

Read the whole thread, and then answer peoples posts. This is going to be fun.

u wanna know y

ok ok then if u all wanna know why i don't feed during a shed, few years back i had a small jungle i feed him during his shed he took it i had to go out, when i came back i found him in his enclosure he couldn't shed off a ring where the food was he was my first snake and i didn't know what to do in the end he ended up with bad scars where he couldn't get the old skin off

Did you feed this jungle a food item that was bigger then its body?

If you feed while in a shed cycle its best (imo) to feed an item no bigger then the snakes body so this doesn't happen, if the food makes a slight bump in the snake not a big one this shouldn't happen, and never has to any of our snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back