My Beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

largeheaded1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a beardie I rescuued from an ex, im pretty sure its wild caught

Now I have had it over 1.5 years, he seems healthy but is not very big at all, his boddy wouldnt be bigger than 11 or 12 cm, is this normal???

He refuses to eat vegies but eats a heap of crickets!!!

Any tips on getting him to eat vegies.

Also how do I know its a him haha how do you sex them?

Thanks

if its wild caught and not on a licence you should hand it in to a wildlife carer who has a proffesion in looking after reptiles so it gets the proper care.
just a suggestion...

no not atm mate

he sheds and stuff fine, he jus isnt growing much, he has but very very slowly

can you weigh him...get length of him from chin to tail tip?
just helped to know ..if you can do pics;)

ok i wil try tonight :)

but besides what i have said, he has a nice big enclossure, clean fresh water, hot/cold ends

any tips on feeding vege?

i still drip drops of water on all my dragons...the lick the water & entices them to be stimulated to eat

adults...i would use a greens/meal word salad
dont be too worried....some just wont eat greens
ide be worried if he didnt eat live food!!!..lol

put veg on the basking platform so hes seeing it all day, dont offer roaches till the afternoon soo he has a chance to eat salad during the day.

make sure u give him 2 hours of basking time after eating though b4 lights out.

sexing, males have hemipenal bulges on the underside of the tail near the vent, (with a ditch in the middle) girls have a single lump or nothing.

are you sure its a bearded, not something like a jacky lizard?

thanks mate

will sex him/her tonight

he has a beard haha pretty certain its a bearded, though ive never heard of jacker lizard

My Beardie is about 2 years old, and is 50 cm. So 10-12 cm's for a 1.5 year old is not right. If he is wild caught and you have him off license i reccomend calling... brain freeze... calling, you know, one of those places.... Agh, some one finish this sentence.

is it a jacky dragon by chance?

they look very similar, although much smaller.. this would explain its size...

holy crap, been reading up on them, think its a jacky haha

he/she never eats salad, it says they only eat live food?

how would he be with a bearded dragon or 2?

would it be any good, does anyone sell jackys?

sorry to keep changing my mind but ive finally found a beardie that it is

looks to be an easterrn beardie

looks exactly like that, jus isnt growing, feeds heaps on crickets and gets all chubby but thats it!!!

what could it be?

he is refusing to eat veges

Attachments

• hatchling%20eastern.jpg
    hatchling%20eastern.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 80
How do you if its wild caught?

There are many things that could impact growth. Recently, a friend of mine told me her bearded died after about one or two years of no growing (it was five or so when it died), she did a necropsy (?) and it turned out that it had a nasty parasite in it that was eating up at the nutrients. Can't remember what it was... I'll find out when I talk to her again.

~ notechstiger.

i wouldn't reccomend releasing it. If you are sure it is wild caught then you should hand it into a wildlife carer or similar.
Has it been kept for a while? If it's wild caught then i am assuming you don't have a license for it.

yea im almost certain its wild caught and no i dont have a license, i jus took it from her as she wasnt looking after it

she had it a little over a year, was quite small when she got it and has grown a bit

when she first had it, it had no heat or lights for about 8 months til i came along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back