difficulty in gettin my baby coastal feedin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the higher temps, try a bigger rat pup, all the coastals ive bred seem to like week old pups or even bigger..

As other have said, get those temps up. Personally I would go for 34 deg C in the hot end. Let it warm up for a few days and then offer food on tongs. Take note of what Mr Bredli said and dont intimidate the snake when feeding. I also would check for RI as at only 26 deg C its immune system will be quite low. Just do this by putting the python's mouth near your ear and listen to it's breathing. Any clicks, pops or wheezing or signs of mucus around the mouth/nostriles and its off to the vet for a proper check.

ok ive bien told to try all these
1. raise the temps
2 .scent it with iether a day old chicken or qual or a gecko or a lizard
3.leave for a weak without handling then try again if hungry will eat
4. get a pin stick through head of mouse witch emitts certian smells that make the snake more aggresive to food and if resorts to it in 6 months or so not now if stiulll hast eaten in 6 months try a pinky pump i would recomend it but sometise that how people get snakes to eat

thanx 4 the info,firstly i wil warm it up to 32dec,wait a couple days and try again,its not wheezing or anything,which is a good sign,it has ate a few little penny lizards by itself in the past,thanx again every1,

Hi there,

I've been told to try a few things:

Get a hold of a day old quail or chicken, cut into small piece's when frozen, not as messy. Put pieces into seperate bags, when its time for feeding, let a piece sit out for a bit to defrost then rub pinkie into the blood and offer to your snake.

Try feeding at night as little ones are more active at night and don't feel as threatened.

Don't worry to much, my little coastal went 2 & 1/2 months without a feed.

Also try leaving the light/mat on for a little longer on feed night, even after he/she has fed, it can start to digest it's meal instead of when the light/mat comes on the next day.

Talk to the person you bought the snake from, find out of them how they go it to feed, what time of day they fed it, etc.

If your worried about the next time it's going to feed you can try and get it to eat two by:

Defrosting the first pinky and when it takes it defrost another, and whens it takes the last bite of the first mouse( tail is the only thing sticking out of the snakes mouth) gently put the next mouse into it's mouth and it might just keep on eating. It is probably best to do this i the dark as the snake will feel more comfortable and won't be able to see you holding it with the tongs.

Hope i've been of any assistance, but if it is really concerning you consult someone who has had afew years experience.

Worse comes to worse you can force feed but seeing that it has fed before it might take a bit of time for it to settle in. Consult a professional before trying this if you haven't done it before. !! Use as a last resort !!

Hope you get the little bugger to feed.

Cheers
Cleo

thanx cleo,some very interesting suggestions,wil keep in mind,i no some1 where i am that ive already spoken 2 that told me not 2 worry 2 much at the moment,im going 2 take her advice,if i cant get it 2 feed i think she might b able 2 help me,thanx again

Also try leaving the light/mat on for a little longer on feed night, even after he/she has fed, it can start to digest it's meal instead of when the light/mat comes on the next day.

I wouldn't be turning off the night heating at all, especially for such a young snake and in the middle of winter!! :shock: Maintain at around 30 degrees all year round for the first year then you can drop the night temps if you want. After the first year we like to have all our snakes housed in large enclosures so they can get a good temp gradiant.

Sue

Last edited:
A lot of bad advice has been given so far.Teasing,scenting etc etc.

If your husbandry isn't correct then all you are doing by trying to trick the animal into eating is stressing it which make the situation even worse.Once again get your temps set up correctly then the snake will most likely eat.

Dont worry about all the crap.
Snakes are simple animals, just get its temp around 30-32
and simulate "life" with the pinkie (approach then withdraw then approach again etc)
It will eat !

Using boiling hot water is not a good idea at all, unless you like watching rodent guts exploding over your snake's face, and then having to clean it up. Hot water straight from the tap is perfect for thawing rodents.

that is all I have ever done. I have 1 baby that I sold and got back who has been a pain in the butt since, but that is just him.

What time of day are you feeding him? Carpets are nocturnal so evenings in duller light would be worth a try, too. Its how I started my fussy babies. Lights down and gently wiggling it at him, even tap the back of his neck. Want him to strike at it but we need a feed response not a frightened baby defending himself. Then if he takes it you need to freeze. Slightest movement could distract his attention. They are fun to get started. :D NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back