How do you kill?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how do you kill rodents?.

• gas

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • clonk

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • buy them already dead

Votes: 43 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I tried to kill my python's food, I'd have pet mice.
I buy frozen and their fuzzy little faces look at me, and I feel guilty.
I'm really bad with killing things.

You also left just putting them in the freezer. thats what i do. basically they just soon fall asleep.

Picture being in the snow at sub zero temps. and freezing to death. Hardly falling asleep...

funnily enough i was informed today by a pet shop who had contacted a animal welfare organization (not needing to be named) but had been informed that freezing was the method most humane. he was a little in disbelief and contacted us to see if this was true. the funny part was in contacting the organization again we were informed that the person in question had given this info to numerous people and was now no longer working for them. heheh it really does make you wonder.

but had been informed that freezing was the method most humane.
For mammals or reptiles??

At lot of the "experts' will say freezing is a humane euthanisation for herps..
Most know of the pain that mammals (even pinky mice) go through when they are frozen to death.

For mammals or reptiles??

At lot of the "experts' will say freezing is a humane euthanisation for herps..
Most know of the pain that mammals (even pinky mice) go through when they are frozen to death.

sorry it was for rodents intended for feeding snakes

How does what it's used for change anything?

well the most accepted method is euth via lethabarb injection, (overdose of anaesthetic). if you did this you could no longer feed the animal to your snake. as it would kill your snake very quickly.

The tafe course i am doing has freezing as the correct way to kill pinkies. whereas older ones have to be gased or clonked.

The tafe course i am doing has freezing as the correct way to kill pinkies. whereas older ones have to be gased or clonked.

that is true as gassing is not accepted for any rodent younger then 14 days old. they are supposed to be culled via hypothermia, in a method that means the animal does not come into contact with the surface of the freezer. so no freezer burn, i also read somewhere using the rapid freezing of liquid nitrogen on pinkies. but that may just be a random paper.

Freezing pinkies is the easiest i spose as it is quicker for a tiny animal like that..
Unfortunatly people put a lot of pinkies together in the freezer and they tend to try to gain bodyheat from one and other..
This prolongs the death and in turn the pain.
If u must freeze pinkies SEPARATE them before they go in.

Co2 Chamber.

Breed them, gas them, freeze them, thaw them.

That way I am always certain of the quality and never run out of them.

Whilst most shops claim to be hold items they often run out of them and will sell you anything. Just check out the quality of frozen food available and think yourself where it may have come from, how many times has it been frozen before etc etc etc.

A $5 frozen rat can kill a $500 python.

Helikaon- Sorry, thought you were saying chuck the adults in the freezer

I usually donk them, but considering changing to "clonking" now as it seems to be more popular.

I have a question regarding gassing. Wouldnt the buildup of CO2 saturate the rodents body, then being ingested by the reptile eating it? Is there any danger with that or am I looking into it too much ?

Just started to gas, it is so much easier and cleaner than hitting on the head "imo"

I have a question regarding gassing. Wouldnt the buildup of CO2 saturate the rodents body, then being ingested by the reptile eating it? Is there any danger with that or am I looking into it too much ?
Looking into it too much. CO2 is all around us and we're fine. It cant be absorbed by the skin. The CO2 in the rat will be a rat lungfull if your lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back