Frontline on snakes for mites?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
One of mym ates took her 6 month old TINY coastal to the vets because she had mites. DIdn't tell me before she went to the vets and I'm sure it wasn't a reptile vet as they told her to use Frontline on the snake? If it didn't kill the thing, I don't think it would actually travel well down scales as it's designed for skin? Is this lethal on a snake that small? She'd already applied it when she told me and I haven't heard from her.

I honestly don't know about the use of it on small snakes, but I've used it on larger ones with no problems. Again, it was recommended to me by a vet--a reptile vet.

Apparently it gets absorbed into the fatty tissue below the scales and then it kills off mites actively feeding on the animal.

Of course, the mites need to be eradicated from the area, not just those actively feeding, so it's only part of the treatment.

Was it the fronline spray or an individual applicator?

That's a relief. It's her first snake and I'd hate for her to die.

The stuff I was given was the spray. You're supposed to spray it onto a dry cloth and then wipe the animal down with it. 6/sprays per kilo.

I don't know how you would go about treating a tiny coastal with it. What's half a spray? :p

I imagine the spray would be more appropriate than the spot on applicator, maybe recommend she get some from the local petshop if she wants to stick with frontline?

I have used spot on dog frontline with a cotton bud on hatchoe anteresia and morellia with no Ill effect.

Do not use spot on on reptiles. It has chemicals in it for ticks which is poisionous to cats and other animals if ingested. Use the spray. It can be used on very young pups and kittens, as well as rabbits etc and goes off the weight of the animal. Spray the chemical AWAY from the animal, on your hands or a cloth and rub it onto the animal or cover the face with a cloth and spray the animal so the reptile doesn't inhale the spray.
Even better still you can use fido's free itch rinse in a spray form or Bird mite and lice spray works wonders. Again us these items in a well ventilated area and make sure they don't inhale the spray. For applying to the head/face use a cloth that has been soaked in the chemicals.

i wouldn't use any of the above on a reptile. unfortunately every drug used for treating mites is quite dangerous but i would be useing a dilute ivermectine solution wiped on with a cloth.

[SIZE=+1]Reptile Enclosure Insecticide - "Top of Descent" Aerosol[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Get [SIZE=+4]3[/SIZE] cans for just [SIZE=+4]$50[/SIZE][/SIZE]
hs_TOD_mite.jpg

• [SIZE=+1]Unique formula,safe for reptiles[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]Effectively kills and controls mites[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]No need to rinse off after application[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]Aerosol spray easy for application[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]Fine mist penerates the enclosure crevice and reptile eye lid area[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]Propellant is non-toxicand non-flammable[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]Scientifically evaluated by University of Western Sydney[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+1]Used by major zoos and collections[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]$21.50 per 100g Aerosol Can
or 3 cans for $50.00[/SIZE]

Mites/Ticks

I have used Permoxin before and it worked fine. Just diluted in water and soak for a minute then wipe off. Repeat twice and all were gone.

im intrested in this post.. so heliakon, whats whe active ingredient as ive never used it before?if its for mites why cant it be used?does it have adverse reactions in some animals?if i can remember this stuff, top of decent is only meant to be used for cage furnishings not the snake?

im intrested in this post.. so heliakon, whats whe active ingredient as ive never used it before?if its for mites why cant it be used?does it have adverse reactions in some animals?if i can remember this stuff, top of decent is only meant to be used for cage furnishings not the snake?

you are right it shoudl only be used for cage furnishings, though people also use it on the snake. unless it has changed the active ingrediant is d-phenothrin, which has been recorded to have adverse reactions on reptiles and other animals including people. but in saying there has been recordings of adverse reactions to every mite treatment drug. they are all rather dangerous drugs. if used correctly you would probably never see any problems at all, my opinion is simply out of all of them i trust an ivermectin dilution over the rest.

the active ingrediant

i have used TOD before spraying it onto the snake from 30 cms with no problem. take out the waterbowl first then spray till the enclosure looks foggy making sure you get right into the top corners where mites like to lay their eggs...leave for 30 mins or more then strip the cage, new furnishings and newspaper , disinfect and refill the waterbowl. Repeat in 5 days, repeat in 5 days...all gone

don't get any more new snakes, don't do breeding loans...Bob's your uncle

i have used TOD before spraying it onto the snake from 30 cms with no problem. take out the waterbowl first then spray till the enclosure looks foggy making sure you get right into the top corners where mites like to lay their eggs...leave for 30 mins or more then strip the cage, new furnishings and newspaper , disinfect and refill the waterbowl. Repeat in 5 days, repeat in 5 days...all gone

don't get any more new snakes, don't do breeding loans...Bob's your uncle

so what do you do just get the snake out and spray it not getting it in the mouth or eyes or do you leave the snake in the enclosure while you mist it. because i dont aggree with having the reptile breathing in the chemical. a lot of drugs need to have dose rate reduced significantly if admistered via the airway, or something similar as the bioavailability is so much higher.

my aussie sheps ivermectin sensitive, they administer that into her she will be dead within 10 minutes.thats not a reptile but in saying that your right, it goes to show no drug is safe, esp if not administered properly. thanks Helikaon

mate the snake is in the fog as it settles all over it and gives it some relief from the mites the only thing i noticed is a big yawn every now and again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back