Kitty Litter--- has anyone used this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RB25JET

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Went looking for come decent looking litter (i know i doesnt make sence... and newspaper is the best it gets)....i found whats used offen... the recylced paper... but im just curious if anyone has used the white crystal stuff that you can get simalr to this..

kittyts0.jpg

anyone use this.....

Kitty Litter

Hi,
Kitty litter through my experience tends to dry the reptiles out to much. They loose their lustre and do seem to look dull and almost "crusty"-ie dry scales etc. I have also had shedding problems. Another reason I would try to stay away is the possibility of the litter adhereing to food items and being ingested. I tried this as a substrate for my Adders. Adders like to burrow and hide as much as possible with just their head and tail being the only visible part of their anatomy. After a couple of months I realised the moisture was being wicked away from the animals. I also fouond various foreign objects/rubbish in amoungst the litter. You can give it a try but overall I would recommend not using it for a reptile substrate, and rather a mammal toliet as it was designed.

kitty litter drys out the reptiles skin, making it difficult to shed. I definatly wouldnt use the one you have got. ive never seen anyone use that for reptiles. just my opinion

The only arguement i've in in defence of kitty litter is that it absorbs moisture and smell from their poop, but deffinately a big no-no for drying out your reptiles. Apparently it doesn't do any damage if it's ingested (apparently) but overall i'd say it's not worth it, especially cost wise. I've found the best way to keep things clean while still giving them the opportunity to burrow is to use heaps of newspaper then layer up some kitchen towel for the absorbancy factor without reducing your humidity too much. Sure makes it easier to clean each week than straight newspaper.

I have used breeders choice in all my bigger enclosures for years now and have never had any problems, i reckon it kind of ruins a good looking enclosure when you have newspaper on the floor
As long as you keep it clean and have your humidity right i see no problems with using kitty litter. I'd be sure to clean out all the litter once a week tho, i've heard horror stories with people who just spot clean. But i wouldn't go with the crystals, as mentioned before, scented with chemicals
Good luck with whatever you choose :D

if you have had to remove breeders' choice from a python's mouth you will change to newspaper. mine are pooping all over Sonny Bill at the moment

We have used breeders choice (on top of newspaper) in some of the larger, decorative enclosures, for years now, to soak up those big wet poos.. we have never had a problem, but we bin our snakes for feeding, so have never had probs with pieces stuck in the mouth, or ingestion. No probs with shedding either. We do use a small bowl of water towards the warmer end in some large tanks, to keep humidity up a bit tho.. but it depends on the tank, and what is in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back