Gravid or fat beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyro

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently acquired three, 2 yr old beardies which were purchased as 2 males & 1 female but it turns out I have 1 male & 2 females. One of the females is quite fat which has me wondering if she is gravid? They were housed together until I got them & were actually mating when my other half arrived to pick them up:lol: The one I suspect is gravid also has a ferocious appetite compared to the other two dragons. I have added some pics of her before a feed & also a pic of her with the male for size comparison. What do others think, gravid or just fat?

Attachments

• DSCF4492.jpg
    DSCF4492.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF4514.jpg
    DSCF4514.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF4495.jpg
    DSCF4495.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF4499.jpg
    DSCF4499.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 91
looks like she is gravid mate, her tail and legs arnt over weight... good luck :)

lots of calcium and sun,...

my girl with a gut like that has legs and a tail to match,.....

Thanks travie & chris. Thats what made me think she's gravid, it's just the belly.

How about all you beardie breeders, what do you think?

looks like she is nice and full of eggs :D make sure to put a area in there for her to lay in.... good luck

If she has eggs in there you will be able to feel them. Rub your fingers over her belly (not so hard that it's uncomfortable for her but hard enough that you depress her tummy inwards slightly), if you can feel bumps its eggs, if not she's just very podgy.

Gravid for sure.....
My girlie was just like that and I could feel small lumps in there too and she layed.
When she's about to lay she will start digging holes a lot in any place in the enclosure.

Jess

Yeah, it's either she's too fat or there's a lot of eggs in there. She's probably gravid.

I dont think she is gravid - just a guts! lol
Being new, I would say that she has plowed into the majority of the tucker.
You should know in a week or so for sure,
Like Saz said - check for eggs, they even become visible as they progress,
and like FrogsAreCute says, if she starts digging holes, be prepared!! lol
Cheers
Adam

RedEyeGirl- you have 700 posts...i thoght you'de be the first to know what gravid means..:)

Just thought i'd post an update & ask a couple of questions. The female I posted pics of is definately gravid & I can now feel eggs. I guess she was only just gravid when I started this thread. She started digging a couple of days ago but stops for the night so I guess it won't be too long before she pops. I have offered her the laybox but she doesn't seem interested so should I just keep offering it untill she is ready to lay or would it be better if I tip the sand out in to her enclosure?. When should I begin to worry if she hasn't laid & how long do they usually dig for? She will scramble & dig around her enclosure for hours then bask for a bit & start all over again.

At the start of this thread I mentioned that I also purchased another smaller female with the other two beardies & it turns out she is also gravid to the same male as they were previously housed together. She is a bit smaller than the other two but definately not underfed going by her fat legs:). Will her size cause any problems? She's approximately 2 years old & a few centimetres smaller than the others but she weighs about the same.Thanks in advance:)

i'd leave it as a lay box so she can dig nice and deep,...maybe put a heat light over it fro her so she doesnt get cold?

if she looks like shes straining with no success, ,looking unhappy or in pain i'd worry, if shes just digging and stuff maybe she isnt happy with her nest or not quite ready.
can she make a burrow in teh lay box?

from what i've read some dig and lay immediately, others scratch around for a week or so,...

watch for egg binding,..if they dont lay a decent amount of eggs something may be stuck,...esp with the smaller one,..but really she should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back