Kookaburra tries to attack hatchy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClareB

Reaction score
We have a small branch inside the house attached to the window that we sit our diamond hatchling on it to sun himself. Today I put the little guy there and somehow forgot about him for 10 minutes. When I came back he was gone, thinking that he had fallen off I started looking under and behind everything in the room with no luck. At this stage I am very worried and pissed with myself for forgeting about him. Then all of a sudden 'smack' a kookaburra hits the window, I immediately thought the worst (that the snake was outside on the window ledge) so I ran at the window scarring off the bird and low and behold a head appeared from a gap in the window track. I quickly inspected him for damage luckily he was fine but it was a close call, the kookaburra sat just meters away watching. No more unsupervised sunning sessions for my man. Anyone had a similar incident? Just something to keep in mind, those birds are bloody quick and dont miss a trick. Our poor little guy went a bit mad when we got him out and tried to bite several times which is pretty out of character, he must have been scared ****less.
Have added a picture of his little perch, minus him, so you get more of an idea.

Attachments

• P8040287.jpg
    P8040287.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 312
woah lucky u close call!!
Nah no incidents for me...
A lady at my work at the same time every morning sits out the front and feeds the wild kookaburras some mince.....its awesome they sit right infront of her and eats out of her hand

Wow, one lucky python and so are you. Its good that you found him. I haven't had any incidents myself, but always a worrie when I take them down stairs.

Lukeb - It is never a good idea to leave a snake unsupervised out of it's enclosure, it is always dangerous for the snake and somewhat expensive for you when you lose him and/or he dies...

I appreciate the sentiment of 'sunning' the little fella, but it is quite unnecessary. You cannot control the heat and glass really magnifies it, you leave the little guy one option, hiding under your furniture when he gets too warm...

That was close.Ive been feeding a python on the floor in a container on the floor and someone left the back door open.So had my back turned for about 20seconds and a kookaburra came in the back door and had him in his mouth so when i turned around i grabbed the kookaburra and he let go then threw the kookaburra out the door with no harm to either.

I take my snakes outside on the grass for a "sun session" every day or two. They seem to enjoy it; however, I am always watching the sky for birds and the ground for cats.

i had a good incident! yesterday in fact.
We went out for the day (left in morning, got back about 11 or something), and when i got back i opened the door on his cage, and it was really cold in there, so i got the little guy out and made sure he was ok, looked at the other door (double sliding doors) and realised it was open about 5 cms :S!!
i'm not sure if i didn't close it properly, or if my cat managed to prise it open, but either way, im lucky the snake stayed put for 15 hrs!

I do the same FNQ Snake, and keep a real close eye on them. The Noisy Minor birds go crazy when they see them, but I am almost hovering over the snake, so they haven't got a chance to get attacked. That said though, I am always mindful of Kookaburras and Hawks, as they are a little more stealthy than a Noisy Minor.

Glad it all had a happy ending Luke

i'm with aslan on this one, it's stupid how many 'help, help i lost my snake' threads there are on this site.

Today I put the little guy there and somehow forgot about him for 10 minutes...

...When I came back he was gone...

...Anyone had a similar incident?

Yeah, I let my snake out and walk away for 10 minutes all the time.

BAHAHAHAH! ^^^^

pwnage...

BUT, i don;t have a story,w henever i take my guy out ia lways look for predatory birds

I haven't had anything close like this, I take mine out for a sunning on the grass and sit next to them. Every time I do the butcher birds always come in a bit closer to check out whats happening... Don't stay long after I get out the big coastal girl!:)

Perhaps you could be proactive then and write something worthy of the Wiki or for a sticky on how to find lost reptiles ;)

dont forget that when a keeper 'looses' his or her snake, they are threatening their native ecosystem should their lost buddy not be native to that area. feel free to insert that as a sticky.
that little gem called 'search' on this forum has plenty or suggestions about how to find lost reptiles i cant really see how me repeating what others have already said is going to help anyone so i think i'll just stress how inportant it is that you dont loose your snakes or turn your backs on them when they are hanging out side their enclosure.:shock:

Last edited:
hmmm... i never ever leave my snakes unattended. if i have to leave the room i get my husband or daughter to stand there watching until i return.
i also take them outside once a week (usually on the weekend) only take one at a time so i can keep a close eye on them, but i find most of the time they like to stay close to me anyway. very lucky were i live as far as preditory birds. havnt had a problem so far (fingers crossed of course) lol.
yes there are a lot of threads of late about people loosing there snake.
and Sdaji - you made me laugh with your comment :D
mel

..... i cant really see how me repeating what others have already said is going to help anyone ......

I don't really see how repeating things like "it's stupid how many 'help, help i lost my snake' threads there are on this site" helps people either but there is plenty of that happening :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back