blueys climb?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benito22

Reaction score
hey ppl how high can little juvie blueys climb and also can they swim ok?

Never heard of one swimming, but I had one that used to get out of a bucket (holding area during cleaning) by standing on his back legs and knocking the bucket over. Does this count as climbing.

Doubt they climb over anything much taller than a small twig with their stumpy little legs. :)

soo it probably wouldnt be able to get on like a 4cm high basking spot? i could make steps out of some tiles ay

Sum1 told me they seen a Bluey climb a verticle brick wall, he climbed to over 2 meters off the ground, but i found that a bit hard to believe. iv never seen them climb before.

but if a little one got into like a fairly deep pond or something would it drown or swim?

They swim round and round until they take in enough water then they sink to the bottom and drown but not straight away and yes Ive have seen it and I did manage to save it. They cant really see very well from the water line and get cold and tired quickly. They need to be able to get a strong grip to claw their way out. I have wire mesh draped into the pond so the can get out easily if they fall in.

yep they climb good. use to have vines in my bluey setup. one kept climbing straight up the vines and out through the lid and onto the kitchen bench.

When I had a few of them years ago now, I had only a shallow bowl in the enclosure for them. As for the basking platform, you could provide a ramp by using stones or something similar. I for one would just lower the light or raise the bottom to get a better basking area.

4cm though is not that high, but might be a little high for a juvie (not sure how big he is?).

Cheers

FNQ_Snake

blueys can swim quite well,they dont like to,but if the need is there they are very capable,also if they can grip it with there claws there quite well capable of climbing verticle surfaces,mine climb logs and the rock piles in there pit quite well,basking height on some of the logs is 4 foot above the ground,yet they love getting up there.

if u had a pond in there enclosure u just need to have things around the edge in the water for them to climb out on,especially if using plastic ponds,as they swim against the wall exausting them selves then drown,if they happen to fall in,and not be able to get out again

they look like little crocs when they swim.

It will have no problems getting over 4cm. mine gets up a 15cm ledge.

You may not see it doing it often but it can do it if it wants to.

Wow, I was always told they were not big climbers as it tired them and they fall easily and get injuries. Now after this thread, looks like i can finally make some nice alterations to thier enclosure!

its best not to let them climb high branches though,dont get me wrong,they are capable of climbing,but they arent a semi arboreal animal,there quite clumsy and will fall at times,they arent designed for climbing,my point was if theres something to climb,the buggers give it a crack,especially if there in an enclosure or outdoor pit,they will test it to see if they can get out,but compared to say cunningham skinks ect,when they climb you can see why there mostly a ground dwelling animal

My Dad has one that he takes outside quite often for a walk in the grass, every time dad has him out now he goes straight over to one particular bush it's only about 2 feet high and pretty thick, anyway Dads blue tongue climes it every time, he gets himself to the top and basks for a little while, then comes down to look for snails around the edges of the verandah. Needless to say my Dad watches him like a hawk making sure that nothing happens to him.

so a setup like this should be ok

Attachments

• 101_0027.jpg
    101_0027.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back