snake with a cough??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angel

Reaction score
hi all,

One of my BHP's is sick and i would like a little bit of advise if any one had it?
she has a cough - nothing else, she has had it for a few days, i took her to the vets and they said , that there was not a lot that they could do, take her home and hope for the best.
she ate last week , still drinking water and her temp is being kept at a contant 28 degrees in her whole take while she is sick - on the advise of the vet of couse...
she is being kept on newspaper while she is sick as well.

i'd up the temps a bit more, what sort of a cough is it, did they give you anything?

no they have not i had the enclosure at thirty but she seemed a bit upset, so i lowered it a bit but could up it again easliy.
And no they did not give her a thing, but said if i insist they will start her on baytril (incorrect spelling i think)
but they don't think it will make a difference.

no they have not i had the enclosure at thirty but she seemed a bit upset, so i lowered it a bit but could up it again easliy.
And no they did not give her a thing, but said if i insist they will start her on baytril (incorrect spelling i think)
but they don't think it will make a difference.

sounds odd, were they are reptile vet? but yeah if it is due to an infection id have the temps up to atleast 32. but a snake coughing that is just weird.

thats what i thought.. yes he was a snake man, really good usually, will even come in on a sunday to help me - he did not think i was telling the truth about the cough still he heard it - it is odd, i know that and that is what has me worried i have just sent my husband to up her temps - going up to thirty to start with and will go from they. And id sounds like a really chesty cough, you can feel her rumble when you hold her

from what i would think is the snake might have lower respiratory infection. the coughing is the snake probably trying to get some fluid of mucous up. i'd have a listen to the snakes right side and see what you can hear from the developed lung, i would then soak him in luke warm water for a good 15mins in a container with a lid on, the increased humidity acts as a mucolytic this will help break down any mucous in the lung. and the bath will keep him hydrated through cloacal absorption. if you can i would raise the temp to 32 or so and i would probably look at getting a bit of baytril oral or some ceftazadime injections. though that will depend on t he vets thoughts.

if you can feel her rumble i'd be getting some ceftazadime injections its not gonna hurt and would continue the soakings 3 times a day, keep the enclosure dry and warm, and with the meds, hope that it will come good, it would be worth writing a case report on i think, to bad you arent near me.

i soaked her the night before last and she seemed to perk up a bit so i will comtinue with that i will also write down the injections you reccomend and will take her back to the vets first thing in the morning and talk to them. every thing that happenes i am writing down in her log book - i will start getting a bit more detailed about it now - thank you

no basking spot at the moment - justa contant temp in whole enclosure - and i jave just uped that to 30

Why does'nt she have a basking spot? Is that on the vets advice?

i soaked her the night before last and she seemed to perk up a bit so i will comtinue with that i will also write down the injections you reccomend and will take her back to the vets first thing in the morning and talk to them. every thing that happenes i am writing down in her log book - i will start getting a bit more detailed about it now - thank you

do you think your vet would (with your permission) email me his thoughts on it, because it does sound very interesting. and if they dont recognize the drug name its a third generation cephlosporin they may have it under another name. you could use baytril to if you like.

while i am at the vets tomorrow, i will talk to him and get back to you through a pm - helikon, i really do not mind what you know as long as it will help others if any thing like this happens again - i have just increased her tank again to 32 - she is active but not stressed. it does not matter what side i hold her on rumble sounds about the same.
dan 19 - to the vet and i it sounded like she has the flu - so we took away her chance to get cold, to try and help her

while i am at the vets tomorrow, i will talk to him and get back to you through a pm - helikon, i really do not mind what you know as long as it will help others if any thing like this happens again - i have just increased her tank again to 32 - she is active but not stressed. it does not matter what side i hold her on rumble sounds about the same.
dan 19 - to the vet and i it sounded like she has the flu - so we took away her chance to get cold, to try and help her

it is a very interesting case, i would certainly be interested in any lung wash results as well. i guess it depends on what they are comfortable performing and what you are willing to go ahead with. very interesting. i will look forward to hearing from you.

i have never heard of the tests you are talking about i will ask tomorrow and let you know

thank you

lol and just so the vet doesn't think im just an internet whacko, you can let him know that i am a graduate veterinary technologist working at a clinic in brisbane.

ok well we have started baytril injection, so cross your fingers and pray for the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back