Holidays

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesa

Reaction score
We are planning on going away for 2 weeks. I had planned to feed the snakes a week before we left (in order to give them time to digest and hopefully poo). Then turn off the heat and leave them. Will this be OK? I do have a friend who said he will come and feed them, but then I need to worry about the heat, cage cleaning etc. Will it be OK to leave them for 2 weeks (at least 3 weeks between feeds). One of them is only 9 mnths old?
Cheers!

For sure it will be fine. As you said make sure there is no food in their guts and hope they defecate before you leave for holidays. Put some extra newspaper in the enclosures to soak up any urates that are passed while your away. Also if you don't have anyone to change the water I would simply not provide any. I have left my little ones to fend for themselves for 3 or 4 week with no problems.

I also try have someone call me every few days with updates just so I can sleep at night.

I would not like to leave them for 2 weeks without any acsess to heat this time of the year.
It could end up being dangerous for your animals.
They will be fine if not fed for a few weeks, i would not feed them for at least 2 weeks before you left to be safe.

I have just returned from 13 days away. I left the heat on had someone check and water them every few days and did not feed 2 weeks before leaving. Everything was fine. The last thing you want is to feed a week before and not supply heat.

I left for two weeks, and left the thermostats set to 25*C. At least that way, they get some heat, and there's no threat of them getting and RI from a cold draught or a similar illness.

OK, so I should feed a week or so before I leave, LOWER the heat and have someone give them fresh water while we are away?? Does that sound OK?

My preference would be to leave the heat on as usual, give a good feed 2 weeks before leaving and have someone check a couple of times to top up water and give you peace of mind. I would definitely NOT turn the heat off entirely.

OK, so I should feed a week or so before I leave, LOWER the heat and have someone give them fresh water while we are away?? Does that sound OK?

No. Feed 2 weeks before you go, give them normal heat and have some one check water for you. Do not feed and lower temps. You could come home to some sick snakes or worse.

When we go away for 2 weeks I leave everything as normal. They get fed about 2 weeks before we go, I top up the water to full and they have always been OK. Why are you concerned about the heating, fire worries?

When we go away for 2 weeks I leave everything as normal. They get fed about 2 weeks before we go, I top up the water to full and they have always been OK. Why are you concerned about the heating, fire worries?
No fire worries. That's just what I was told was best???

OK. so I feed 2 weeks before leaving. Clean the cage when necessary. Leave temps as per normal and have the water checked when I can... Does that sound right?????

OK. so I feed 2 weeks before leaving. Clean the cage when necessary. Leave temps as per normal and have the water checked when I can... Does that sound right?????

if these are established tanks ie you know that the condtions are stable ect fir hazard isn't that high really esp if they're thermostated. when i see people turning off heat for short breaks (i know yours isn;t that short but you have a checker) i always think what do you do when you leave the house for work everyday? turn off the heat everyday :shock:?

Yes. Hoorah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back