Does anyone know anything about breeding budgies??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezel73

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a pair (male and female of course) of budgies and I was told when I purchased them (mothers day) that it wouldn't be long until I have babies... Nothing yet...
I read on a website that when the bit above the beak of the female goes chocolate brown shes ready for some action... Is this true?? She went real choc brown 2 months ago and then went back to normal and now shes dark brown again...
anyway I just wanted to know if it was true...

They have a nest box in there with them... Pic doesn't really show of the blue on his cere...

Hmm you dont say old they are but the male cere - the bit above the beak will go a strong blue when he is ready.
Budgies do breed easily but thinks have to right for them as well.
Do they have a variety of good food, calcium [like cuttle fish bone], how big is the cage and a nest box?
All animals will breed under a variety of conditions but you shoukd do a little research on the web to increase your chances! Good Luck!
Steven.

Hey steven we have a pretty big cage for them and the nest box is about 25cm long and about 18cm wide, we got it with them from the breeders, I have no idea how old they are though...
I'm in no hurry for them to mate as in a couple of weeks we'll be moving interstate...

i thought you had to DNA birds by feather or blood to tell the sex ?

That's only monomorphic species or mutations. And it's DNA only by blood - the feathers need to be fresh and with some blood in the base of the rachis, but it's the blood, not the feather that is used.

:p

Hix

Leezel, where are they located on your property? In the house? out on the verandah? If you are moving soon..... TAKE THE BREEDING BOX OUT TILL THEY ARE SETTLED INTERSTATE.... if they breed now, they'll be into the breeding cycle well and truly when you move, and that will upset the apple cart!!!!!
Budgies may be prolific breeders once started, bu tthey need the right environment to be in in the first place. Definitely not in a well used area of the house, better to keep them in a quiet corner where they're not disturbed all the time.
Good luck, once started, they;ll breed like rabbits! LOL!

That's only monomorphic species or mutations. And it's DNA only by blood - the feathers need to be fresh and with some blood in the base of the rachis, but it's the blood, not the feather that is used.

:p

Hix

thanks for that HIX . i got told that when i bought my olive rainbows . i was about to get someone to come over and get a sample to send to south africa . but then i got eggs and then they hatched out 20 odd days latter so that gave it away i fluked a pair:D

thanks for that HIX . i got told that when i bought my olive rainbows . i was about to get someone to come over and get a sample to send to south africa . but then i got eggs and then they hatched out 20 odd days latter so that gave it away i fluked a pair:D

Lucky for you. Lorikeets are one of the types you need to DNA sex to guarantee sexing.

I agree with the above suggestion to remove the nest box until after you move. Good luck.

They are in the house in the lounge room as I just love listening to them talk to each other but saying that the kids disturb them and the cat sits near them and watches them... I think i will take the nest box out, but what if they have already done the deed???

You can tell a male female by their beak,sometimes.just above the beak itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back