Knob-tailed geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scutile

Reaction score
hey hey!

Im getting some prickly knob-tailed geckos soon, and i wanted to make sure i know heaps about looking after them first!

can anyone give me a short crash-course or refer me to a caresheet?

Thanks in advance!!

scutile

Yes, i did google, but didnt find anything particularly helpful. Thanks for the unhelpful post

do a search for "Amyae" or "Asper" in the keywords, that will narrow the search down. There is lots of info on here and other sites about Rough knobtail husbandry.

i had a bit of trouble finding info, so my set up for hatchies if a 2x1 foot tank, 1/3 of the floor has a heat mat under it set to 32ish, (mat stat not dimmer, the dimmers hum) 4-5cms sand for substrate (washed play sand from bunnings)
a low wattage red globe over the top to take the chill out of the air.

cave on the warm side on wet sand, cave on teh warm side on dry sand and cave on the cold side.

i put crickets in a cup, shake em up wtih calcium and lay the whole cup in sideways, tehy go running to the cup and start eating.

umm,..their really easy actually, thats about it.

i find all knob tails are very similar to keep.
i dont think i do anything different for the pricklies than for the normal levis.
except for adult pairs i use a 3x1ft tank instead of 2x1because they are bigger

I always kept my rough knobtails much drier than the smooth knobtails- I don't provide a damp area for digging. I provide a small water bowl and twice weekly misting of one enclosure wall for droplets for drinking.
If I see a specimen coming up to shed I heavily mist half of the tank to increase humidity to assist shedding, but thats it.

oh, is the damp bit for digging? i thought it was so the water evaporates and they can lick moisture off the walls,...

i take mine out twice a week for a good drink anyway, they sit on my hand and lick droplets off their faces,.! :p

Smooth knobtails like a deep, damp are of sand to burrow into. In my experience the rough skinned species do not do not display burrowing tendancies other than for egg-laying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back