Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpongeBobSqPants

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just curious about the keeping of albino reptiles after i read the thread on inbreeding reptiles in order to retain desired traits.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes/inbreeding-90128

Albinism in humans seem to be a serious health condition, with symptoms like hypersensitivity to bright lights, premature skin aging and even potentially skin cancer.

So if I were to keep a reptile which is an albino, do I still have to expose it to UV lighting or is it gonna "fry" the poor creature. But then again UV is important for the absorption of calcium, which is vital for bone development. :?

Or is there some special conditions for keeping albino reptiles in?

Thanks, :)
Martin..

Can only comment on darwins in that they act/behave in exactly the same way as normal ones do in regards to light and basking etc.UV for MOST pythons isn't necessary anyway.

No, albino animals are kept in the same conditions as every other animal of that species.

Maybe for reptiles, but many albino mammals need to be protected from the sun. They often develop eye problems and cancers.

:p

Hix

Interesting post. Surely the health issues that effect albinistic mammals must also effect reptiles, particularly those that have a UV requirement. Have there been any long term studies?

But reptiles and mammals are nothing alike. It's almost the same debate with the inbreeding threads.

Can only comment on darwins in that they act/behave in exactly the same way as normal ones do in regards to light and basking etc.UV for MOST pythons isn't necessary anyway.

If most pythons don't require UV, do they get their vitamin D from dietary sources?

Don't know the complete answer to that, but I supplement every second or third meal with calcium and vitamin D3.

However, since most pythons are nocturnal, it's logical to assume they do, indeed, get their vitamins from another source. Then again, many species of nocturnal animals have been seen basking during the day. Circles within circles.

But reptiles and mammals are nothing alike. It's almost the same debate with the inbreeding threads.

Notechis - you need to understand that although they don't look alike physically, the similarities are there all the same.

The fundamental mechanics of genetics is pretty much the same for an ameoba and an elephant, a reptile and a mammal. As for albinism - or in this case, amelanism - in both reptiles and mammals it is caused by a lack of melanin. Melanin is what protects us from the sun (when you get a tan, the melanocytes in your skin produce more melanin to protect you from the suns rays). A lack of melanin means a lack of protection.

The eye problems result from there being no melanin in the iris. Probably worse for snakes because they don't even have eyelids they can close.

:p

Hix

And yet there seems to be no damage to albino snakes due to the sun. And also, I'm not talking about physical differences. They are different because all mammals are endothermic, and all reptiles (except one) are ectothermic. Because of this one feature, reptiles and mammals are very different.

Yes, the genetics are the same, but the effects of these genetics, such as damage from the sun to albinoes, is very different.

Learn when to shut up, if you dont know then shut your mouth for a minute and you might learn something. Assumptions help no one, it just clouds the subject further.

Anyone with actual facts not heresay and assumptions?
Jordan

If I don't make a post that contains the correct information, then someone is absolutely welcome to correct me. Am I not allowed to throw out some information for others to consider?

Supplements for pythons under MOST circumstances are a total waste of money.Who knows they might even do harm if used too often.

Why do you think that? I'm curious now...

that is due to the fact that a lot of supplements are like everything else if you have to much they become toxic, and yes pythons get their vitamin d3 from their prey as they eat entire animals. same goes for the essential amino acids and so forth. saying this the degree at which you would supplement would do no harm but it is debatable whether it is constructive.

EDIT: also i think you would find a captive rat fed a quality diet would have a diet which would be a lot more complete then most wild rats.

Last edited:
Well, that's true. Although, rats and other captive python foods don't have access to eat the range of things they eat in the wild. BUT, it is a curious thought. I'll have to see if I can find any research on the matter.

Well, that's true. Although, rats and other captive python foods don't have access to eat the range of things they eat in the wild. BUT, it is a curious thought. I'll have to see if I can find any research on the matter.

the comparison of diets between wild and captive rats is not an issue in my opinion, as for a rat to grow to an adult size in good health, it also needs vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids and so forth, therefor if the rat is eating a diet of rat and mouse cubes and grows fine, then it has the amounts it needs, and would therefore pass that onto the snakes. granted if you fed your rats home made meal and the rats were lacking, this would show in their production and this "lack" of nutrients would pass to the snake also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back