Customs arrests and charges man over fishy business

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pretty foolish to suggest a fish is automatically less threat than a reptile, IMO overall fish are probably far worse if anything, they have certainly caused far more damage than exotic reptiles so far. Sure plecos may not survive in melbourne, but the laws are for Australia, IMO they should take as much money from him as they can get and send him home with a boot up his...

Agree 100%

:p

Hix

No its not near as bad,but whoever TRYS to illegally import something no matter what it is,shouldnt just get a fine,im having my opionion gillsy you dont need 2 attact me.By the way im not on drugs.

I'm not attacking you, but I can't see how you can say bringing reptiles/fish into the country is worse than bringing drugs in.

People say how bad they're packed when being smuggled, those fish are packed exactly the same way a legal imported fish would be packed.

Most photos I've seen of smuggled reptiles are packed exactly the same way that we would ship around the country. (i'm sure there are some exceptions for bad conditions). I'm sure some way people keep them permenantly is worse than the shipping containers.

I'm not saying I condone it but these fish are expensive, not on the CITIES list and are already legal here. So there is very little risk of anything happening. A fine and a good behaivour bond yes, but not jail time.

Im not saying that of course drugs are worse,but ppl that illegally Smuggle whatever shouldnt just get a slap on the wrist,yes they were packaged good,but that doesnt mean its ok.Fair enough jail might not suite this person,the ones that get caught have to get harsher penalties,thats all im trying 2 say.

Im not saying that of course drugs are worse

How many species have been wiped out by illegal drugs? they are differant issues but i cant possibly see how drugs are worse than illegally importing exotic animals. If drugs are imported they will soon disappear after causing a trivial impact on the average person(eg. paying more tax to fight drugs, rehab junkies etc.). If animals are imported they could cause problems for a very long time and wipe out species in the proccess, possibly even destroy entire ecosystems.

Then again think of all the carnage caused by someone like Schapelle Corby, far worse than the problems caused by exotic fish like tilapia, right? :lol:

Yes Cris, but this species is already here.

It's not like we're importing an invasive fish species. These are highly valued aquarium species.

We continue to sell Koi, Goldfish, Guppies, Swordfish, white clouds and import. Yet these are more invasive species than the L cats.

If they were bringing in an invasive species that wasn't already found here I agree harsher penalty.

My beliefe goldfish, koi should all be banned. All cichlids should be banned. Actually lets ban all aquarium fish because at some place in australia they can become established.

I don't agree with him bringing them in, but they're already here sold LEGALLY this is my point.

Agree 100% With Gillsy...

Cris did you even read the first post?, there are breeders everywere all over aus...

So just have a little think before throwing terms like foolish around...

MD

And plus half the fish on the non allowable imported list gets through customs quite easily.

These are labelled as allowable imported fish. Therefor get through customs quiet easily.

Imo

They're "poor fishies" cause once they're seized,, they're destroyed!!!!!! :x
Protected species,Drugs,WHATEVER...If something is prohibited from being imported, it's because it has a significant, unfavourable impact on our country, in one way or another. They're not out to spoil 'ur fun. Its about protecting our homeland & the people in it!!! Think about it!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
They killed them all gillsy, so.........poor fishies. The transport wasn't cruel but it is a shame what happened to them. The fish themselves pay the ultimate penalty.

Cheers Andrew

Pay that Butters!! Simple but to the point. Nice!!!

I think people need to get off there high horse and stop acting like this is a huge deal.

Fine him, get on with it. Jail time isn't needed.

If Jail time wasn't needed it wouldn't be a penalty available to a Magistrate when sentencing someone for this offence.

Regardless of whether these fish are or are not available in Australia, being illegally imported from overseas brings with it the potential for disease, some of which may not be currently in this country. That's the whole issue here.

They're "poor fishies" cause once they're seized,, they're destroyed!!!!!! :x
Protected species,Drugs,WHATEVER...If something is prohibited from being imported, it's because it has a significant, unfavourable impact on our country, in one way or another. They're not out to spoil 'ur fun. Its about protecting our homeland & the people in it!!! Think about it!! :rolleyes:

Think about what, have I at any point said they shouldn't be punished for this.

I just don't agree that this is along the same severity as bringing species that aren't already established here.

You can buy these fish readily in aquarium shops. We release 1000's of trout every year. Why aren't you complaining about them. They're worse than these fish and it's a digusting practice releasing non natives every year.

People need to get their priorities right, protest about trout, about koi, about goldfish not fish that are present and too expensive for the average person to have.

Someone going out and buying a 4000 ball python isn't goign to let it go, yet someone who has a $100 carpet that gets to big will throw it out the back bush and can pose more of a threat than the ball.

Same with these fish, goldfish get boring to messy cost $2 soemone goes and lets it go in the local creek, or their pond overflows during a flood. They are the biggest risk yet millions are sold/imported each year

These fish will be kept inside in a tank, unable escape. Yes punish the guy but jail time no.

They killed them all gillsy, so.........poor fishies. The transport wasn't cruel but it is a shame what happened to them. The fish themselves pay the ultimate penalty.

Cheers Andrew

Similar penalty to that acted out every day by fishermen.

Similar penalty to that acted out every day by fishermen.

They were killed humaley, how many 1000's of aquarium fish that are sold each year die.

How many people have goldfish in those tiny bowls, that's the fish suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back