White Kneed King Cricket & Mantis DUW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see:lol::lol: Ive tried insects they are overrated. woodies taste like dirt, grasshoppers taste like non cooked crunchy prawns with the shells still on and worms, well I didnt taste them I just swallowed them alive :shock:

Woodies are indeed horrible, but c'mon, grasshoppers are delicious! Grasshoppers are great either live or cooked, then again, I eat a lot of the shells on prawns too. Try feed crickets - they shouldn't be too crunchy for you, especially if you remove the hind legs (although I prefer to leave them on for extra crunch). Worms are pretty yummy, but I wouldn't want to eat them live. Mealworms are pretty good, although they're too rich for me to be able to eat too many; about 200g and I'm feeling very full, but I'd happily eat three or four times that weight in crickets, grasshoppers or mantids - not that I've ever had enough mantids to try.

Sadji can i just put in you my pocket and bring you out whenever someone thinks i'm weird for eating raw fish? Goodness me thats banannas!

You want to put your pocket in me? No! :shock:

I thought raw fish was considered normal now. I suppose it generally needs to be in sushi or eaten as sashimi at a Japanese place. When I buy salmon or tuna steaks from the supermarket deli and eat it as take away people sometimes give me odd looks.

It's weird, people think what I eat is weird, and then they'll turn around and eat crap like dim sims or McDonald's excuse for food.

You want to put your pocket in me? No! :shock:

I thought raw fish was considered normal now. I suppose it generally needs to be in sushi or eaten as sashimi at a Japanese place. When I buy salmon or tuna steaks from the supermarket deli and eat it as take away people sometimes give me odd looks.

It's weird, people think what I eat is weird, and then they'll turn around and eat crap like dim sims or McDonald's excuse for food.

raw steak is better then raw fish, I love my steak rare nice when its all bloody, its so tender and juicy:)

yes but raw fish is better for you than raw steak :p

not a fan of red meat i must admit, kind of grosses me out a bit *rolls eyes*

I like my steak medium. I've eaten it raw, but I prefer it cooked. When you eat fish raw you wonder why anyone ever bothered to try cooking it, and when you try both you wonder why anyone still does.

What about eggs? I prefer those raw too. A raw egg on ice-cream is really yummy :) I put one on breakfast cereal every few months, and then I remember that it's not very nice. Since I can recall that fact right now it mustn't have been long since I tried. Raw egg, milk and melon schnapps is really yummy. Raw egg, milk and freshly squeezed orange juice is not (does anyone remember the thread? :lol: ).

Oh ok, so they only get to 7cm long, but get quite fat? Is there another species of mantids that get longer but not as fat/heavy?
Iv got some pics somewhere of one I found on my house (not a giant rainforest mantid), was alot longer than 7cm. will try find it.

Quite a few species get longer, i found a giant earlyer in the year, was a good 14-15cm.

@ad, I have goliaths hatching out at the moment, only 2 so far but when i have a few more i could give you a few as part trade for the tank.

I think we'll soon have to start another thread on the topic of food *again* and as for raw egg... NAUGHTY SADJI! Tis BAD for you!! Bugs and worms and other odd things i'm not fussed about but RAW EGGS ARE A NONO. Tis like raw chicken. then again you're not dead yet... but you must have a seriously strong stomach unlike the rest of us... and yes, why people still bother cooking fish is beyond me, smoked is fine but sashimi and me have a bit of a love affair going on :D

By the way, I LOVE YOUR MANTID! I colour is just amazing, i had a look at their site and am quite taken by the spiny stick-insects, cute little guys! Like the thorny devils of the insect world.

shooshoo: Raw eggs are pretty safe. I have raw eggs for breakfast most mornings. I looked up the stats on them and yes, you do run the risk of salmonella poisoning from them, but the chances are very low. If I live another 60 years or so and have raw eggs for breakfast every day I'll probably get food poisoning two or three times, which will give me a stomach ache (well, I've actually already had one of them :lol: ).

Dipcdame: it depends on the species, some of them are predatory :)

salmonella?? *runs away shrieking like a banshee hands in the air* fair enough. actually i think i remember something about them being bad for dogs... maybe thats what im thinking of, not that im comparing you to a dog or anything! lols. and yes im sure a dose of food poisoning is nothing you cant handle now eh? and im sure you'd take that over a dose of typical australian media sensationalism too!

ahh i crack myself up. and now im going to go abuse the new food thread.

PhilK i'm still curious as to the freight costs?

Freight was like 12 dollars I think. The mantid was 20 and the king cricket double that or so..

Jeez did this thread go off topic haha. Glad you all like them.

Salmonella is everywhere. It's in you right now, it's in the air you breathe and the normal food you eat. It's only a problem if it's the wrong type of Salmonella in too large a quantity.

Yes, I'd rather another dose of raw egg Salmonella (I actually got it in Texas - the only time I've eaten raw eggs overseas, presumably by coincidence) than another media circus game like the last one :lol:

Phil - What are the husbandry requirements for the Mantid...?

Aslan, the mantid is really dead easy to keep. I have it in a critter keeper big enough to last it until it is an adult (I hope). There's about 3 or 4cm of cocopeat/sand mix on the bottom as a substrate. It doesn't need to be too deep 'cause they don't use it. There's PLENTY of stuff to climb on - a fake plant, some sticks set up in a 'playground' style to give heaps of differing angles. During the day it hangs out on the walls and sticks etc, and during the night it sleeps hanging from the roof.

Spray with water liberally once every two days so the mantis can drink the droplets. Make sure it has good ventilation to stop it going dank in there (critter keeper is good for that). Feed once every two days or so. Hard to restrain yourself but I don't like overfeeding them as I've only had bad experiences. Take out any uneaten food after one day if it lasts that long. Clean out all the scraps if it leaves any.

Set up photos:

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back