What would you do!??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey,
if she can afford the food and wants one then she should get a licence (as stated) and look through these:
http://jackydragon.blogspot.com/
http://lukesaussiereptiles.blogspot.com/

if shes not bothered dob her in! i did that with a guy who cought the blue tounge that ran around our yard...he lost all his licenced reptiles :p....i felt kinda bad but i told him i would and what would most likely happen!!!!

Cheers

Luke

great to see the do-gooders at it again. Why not just mind your own business? If this is the worst crime you ever see committed then I envy you. The woman in question is obviously making a decent attempt to look after the animal, why the worry? Technically yes it's illegal to pick up a lizard and take it home but really, who cares????????

Gotta kinda agree with you here :p while i think people should do it the legal way, theres a lot worse that is done to our native animals than someone just taking home a lizard and looking after it.

taking home a lizard and looking after it.

Problem is, she's not really looking after it. She doesn't particularly care about the lizard, and obviously won't be inspecting it to closely for injuries or illnesses. Also, she has no UV lighting. This, in addition to the semi-neglect, is basically a death sentence for it.

Put a horses head in her bed, guaranteed to get your point across.....
But on a serious note I strongly disapprove of the practice, If everyone who wanted to just took 1 lizard, frog, snake ect home then it wouldn't seem like such a harmless practice. you might as well take a shovel to it, it is no longer in a position to procreate in the wild, and people who take any animals on a whim would be unlikely to have the housing and requirements to keep it adequately, They take it for their own enjoyment and the animals wellbeing comes in second, (Christmas Puppies anyone?) And in the likely event the animal takes a turn for the worse it's treatment will probably consist of getting released and good luck buddy.
at the end of the day all you can do is explain it to your freind, and at the very least ensure she knows about all the animals requirements diet, U.V ect

educate her, buy her a uv light and some supliments, voice your opions and just be honest. Dobbers wear nappies.

before you be a dobber you got to make sure she hasnt got anything on you . its always the goody goddy that looks bad in the end . so if your growing dope dont dob her in :lol:

before you be a dobber you got to make sure she hasnt got anything on you . Its always the goody goddy that looks bad in the end . So if your growing dope dont dob her in :lol:

lol!

Problem is, she's not really looking after it. She doesn't particularly care about the lizard, and obviously won't be inspecting it to closely for injuries or illnesses. Also, she has no UV lighting. This, in addition to the semi-neglect, is basically a death sentence for it.

Wow i wish i was psychic too, being able to tell all this about someone i don't even know because of a post on the internet would be cool.

All that has been said is it doesn't have a UV light, it's been stated has access to heat and fed crickets. 2/3 isn't that bad, but oh no it's total neglect.

Whoops, my bad. Being close friends with the original postee gives me privy to information that you're not.

But yes, I completely agree, I DO wish I was a psychic (sometimes).

Whoops, my bad. Being close friends with the original postee gives me privy to information that you're not.

But yes, I completely agree, I DO wish I was a psychic (sometimes).

Well enlighten us, oh wise one, what is the unspeakable neglect that is happening?

Lol! I'm sleep-deprived, so I don't know what your excuse is. If you want more information, then you'll have to talk to Trouble.

Splitmore;1230171Technically yes it's illegal to pick up a lizard and take it home but really said:
Well, for one, I would say the lizard does!!!!!!
Its not a matter of "do-gooders", its more that if everyone turned a blind eye to this sort of thing, then any wildlife out there is in danger of being taken, yeah, who cares? Everyone will when species become endangered as too many get taken from the wild.

If I had no ethics, I would find it far cheaper to just go out and grab myself a couple of whatever I wanted / could find and take them home, but after being used to roaming free, how fair is it to enclose the poor things in cages?

Do the right thing, give the woman the chance to set the lizard free, and if she doesn't, let her know of your intention to report her. Sure, she's a friend, and it's un-australian to "dob in" a friend, but where does one draw the line? Does this mean that as long as a person is a friend, they can do whatever they want and never be reported for breaking the law???

I'd turn a blind eye and keep a friend. I personally think a friendship is far more than ANY reptile.

Just my humble opinion.

Hey guys

What would you do?:
I was talking to a 'friend'* the other day, and she said she 'caught' a jackie dragon,

Trouble

*(not anymore)

Ok, I've said it in the first post 'friend'* *(not anymore)!
She has done some unforgivable things (which I cannot mention on here) and IS NOT my friend anymore!
Ok, now away from that... the kids love this lizard, and I don't want to break their hearts... but I want to do what's right.
Again, what would you do in my situation.?

If she isn't a friend, report her. But if she was your friend (which she isn't) then don't. If my mate had illegal animals, I wouldn't report them, Unless they really ticked me off. My life is FILLED with many many many people who do illegal things, but i wouldn't report them (due to being stabbed, beheaded, ect). But as you said, she has done unforgivable things, get some revenge!

alot more reptiles die of road kill than "illegal" wild caught herps being collected,heck 5-6 years ago i had WC jackies, around 5 juvies, within 7 months they were all released around my house,now there are hundreds here, you have to be careful driving down the road in summer as you will see several run across the road infront of the car, it is really not that big of a deal keeping one jacky lizard, just think how many jackies are killed by cats every year,no where near the number of WC's kept.its not that serious and no need getting all pissed off over it.
Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back