stuff you eat that is considered discusting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
roo, buffalo (absolutely delish, seriously, WAY better than standard beef), emu, venison, nothing great past that.

I'd love to try, possum, rabbit, squirrel, croc, shark, etc. Pretty much anything that I can get, I'd like to try (as long as it's a meat, I'm not fond of eggs, really, or bugs).

I eat my steak raw, both for beef and roo. I've eaten raw bacon, but it makes me queasy later even if it is super tasty. Raw fish, always. Yum!

Favorite 'weird' snack is salami, with cream cheese and a gerkin in the middle. Roll it up, yumyum! Also, I love smoked salmon and cream cheese.

lol we have cooked road killed snakes over the fire, didnt have the guts to eat them though, they were already starting to rot when we found them to. also, I reccomend you try those big green tailed ants in NT if you lick there butt it taste like a sour lemony lol ( like those mega warhead things)

I love those ants!!!! They are soooooo good!

hmmm well i thought the worms with dirt were kinda gross.Also the woodies and crickets..oh oh wait also the chewy off the ground.yum yum.never let a dare down =P

as long as people dont go out killing snakes like that in Australia for food I'll be happy. i find it queit sickning, but they might think the same about us killing cows for food. the cow isn't just shot dead as a lot of people think it is eletricuted with a stunner thing them hanged by its back legs then someone else slices its throat, doesnt stop me eating meat though. there doing it in there own country so it doesnt bother me at all, as long as they dont come over here and do it.

The electricution kills them immediatley, the slitting of the throat is a failsafe to make sure it dies quickly and dare i say it 'humanely'.
You'd be surprised with some abattoirs in australia. My friend used to work at one and told me it was illegal to kill an animal with another animal being able to see its friend die. ><
Fair enough imo. I wouldnt wanna see my friend get shot then shot myself O_O

There are not many things I haven't eaten. My mother's philosophy was "If it moves, it's fair game to eat," and as such, I was given the task to catch things to eat. I've eaten sparrows, starlings, minor birds, pigeons .... birds were very nervous around our house. Tried most meats to include; camel, dog (overseas) and whale (before it was deemed ungreen). I like eating raw meat (marinated) with hot steamed rice mmmmmmmmmm... Eaten a lot of insects, both raw and cooked. I've even eaten McDonalds on a number of occassions. :shock:

anyone eaten cane toad or fox?

I have eaten cat food and dog food from a lizard dish. also eaten lots of random plants (berrys give you a bad stomach ache and diahoria I dont reccomend them :) )

The electricution kills them immediatley, the slitting of the throat is a failsafe to make sure it dies quickly and dare i say it 'humanely'.

They are not killed by electricution...
  1. Cows are usually knocked unconscious by applying an electric shock of 300 volts & 2 amps to the back of the head, effectively stunning the animal. If unsuccessful, secondary methods include the use of a captive bolt pistol to the front of the cow's head.
  2. Animals are hung upside down by one of their hind legs on the processing line.
  3. The main arteries and veins are severed with a knife, mainly in the neck, and the cow's blood drains, causing death through exsanquination.

Rabbit
Snail
Pig brain
Sparrow
starling
pidgon
goat
There are probably more but thats all I can think of

You'd be surprised with some abattoirs in australia. My friend used to work at one and told me it was illegal to kill an animal with another animal being able to see its friend die. ><
Fair enough imo. I wouldnt wanna see my friend get shot then shot myself O_O
I didn't know it was illegal, though i doubt the reason is for the animals comfort.
It would be to stop the beast stressing as adrenaline and other hormones affect the quality of the meat(dark cutting, tough, etc).

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned offal - does no-one eat it? Or is just it not considered 'adventurous'? I've tried lamb brains (spat them out and nearly vomited), calf's, duck's and chicken' liver, and even haggis (its actually quite yummy!) I had sweetbreads in a 2 Michelin starred restaurant (they were sublime) and my husband reckons I would like heart if I tried it (but never seem to get around to it.)

For the bible on cooking offal, check out British chef Fergus Henderson's amazing book, Nose to Tail Dining - recipes on cooking whole pig's heads (we are trying to source pigs' ears for a soup), tongue and their classic recipe for bone marrow on toast.
Love offal, though its a funny thing. I wouldn't call it adventurous though some might.
My mother is a vego, though she loves paté.
My apprentice used to love paté until she found out it is made from liver.
The same apprentice had never tried sweetbreads until I put them on the menu, now she eats them for dinner nearly every night.
I've had duck's tongues and pigs ears from China town. A restaurant that I worked in served wagyu tongue. Black pudding is one of my favourite foods. Haggis is awesome and even better with black and white puddings, tatie scones and Jonny Walker Blue for Christamas breakfast. Love all kinds of liver, lambs fry and bacon is is my second favourite way to start the day.
I would try headcheese, horse, donkey and most other mammals given the chance.
This stuffs all pretty tame, though I'd turn my nose up at a capsicum.

Offal is great, although I tend to avoid brains these days for fear of prions. My partner's dad is a brilliant chef and the family is used to eating all sorts of weird and wonderful foods (which I certainly enjoy to no end :D ), but they all think I'm pretty gross for eating offal. My family are pretty used to me eating weird stuff, but they're all quite conservative, hopping in and out of vegetarianism and avoiding some things to keep their god happy :lol:

Capsicum is good stuff :)

ive gotta say, the best sausage ive ever tasted are emu, crocodile and kangaroo. Such quality meat

Hey has any body refridgerated a snake egg then crack it open over a frying pan? I am really curious what this would taste like.. Regular egg or different?

anyone eaten cane toad or fox?

I have eaten cat food and dog food from a lizard dish. also eaten lots of random plants (berrys give you a bad stomach ache and diahoria I dont reccomend them :) )

You probably won't survive to your 18th Birthday. So many of australias plants are highly toxic, even some of the things growing in your backyard. Some of the world's most toxic poisons are derived from plants. Unless you know they are safe to eat, do not eat any part of any plant you don't know.

I've eaten rat, cuscus, fruitbat, wompoo pigeon, eland, Dr Pepper and KFC (aswell as some of the other dishes mentioned).

:p

HIx

LOL sdaji, I'm gonna go ahead and book you a doctor for a tape worm check up :p

I don't think tape worms could live through some of what I put through my digestive tract :lol:

Jokes aside, bacon is cured when you buy it; I don't think you can get tape worms from it. It's a bit like eating ham. You could probably eat pork rare these days, although not so long ago if a white person ate rare pork they'd be violently ill. My grandfather used to marvel at all the native Papua New Guineans eating rare pork without getting sick. I think some of his wives ate it too, but he couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back