Illegal Exporting of Australian Reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaPeas

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm interested in gathering some information on the illegal reptile trade, particularly the export of aussie reptiles.

Does anyone have any photos (from news websites etc) of reptiles that have been found, trying to smuggle them out, or any 'hard data' about how much leave the country and what? Or even what the going price is overseas for things like bearded dragons and pythons?

Thanks for your help all!

Nina.

haha whats google? never heard of that before! I've had a bit of a look on there, but nothing really specific to exporting of aussie reptiles, more just stuff coming in

Yea, started uni (yay!) and just been busy

There should be a story about all these smuggled shinglebacks that were on their way to Japan.
A lot of them were in a DEC ballot. Should be on the customs website..I presume.

Hey nina :D get onto Henric he might be able to help :lol:

As far as I remember there was a case on that Customs show - can't recall the name, of an Asian man trying to smuggle various lizards (I recall shinglebacks being one of them).

The thing is - and I might be wrong... But many other places round the world do not have as strict import laws - for example (other than NZ) it's probably not really illegal to have shinglebacks in China (example only) - therefore it's entirely up to Aussie customs to catch these crooks. There's very little help (in comparison) from the outside world.

But that customs show is your best bet (border control I think it's called).

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4232&c=6893
Customs stops alleged attempt to smuggle native lizards - Monday, 27th March 006
Customs has stopped an alleged attempt by an airline passenger to smuggle native lizards out of Australia last night.

A 22-year-old man is due to face Perth Magistrates Court later today charged with offences under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act 1999.

Customs officers arrested the man, a Japanese national, as he attempted to depart Perth International Airport on a flight to Singapore.

Investigations began in August 2005 after two separate reports from members of the public to the 24-hour Customs Hotline which detailed suspicious activity they had witnessed on Scarborough Beach. Customs then commenced inquiries into the information provided.

This investigation led Customs officers to question a passenger on his arrival at Perth International Airport on 21 March 2006.

When the passenger checked in at Perth for his Singapore-bound flight last night, his hold luggage was x-rayed and this allegedly revealed the presence of a number of reptiles.

During a subsequent luggage search, Customs officers allegedly found six live, native shingleback lizards inside a plastic container.

The reptiles are being held in Perth by the WA Department of Conservation and Land Management while their immediate future is determined.

Customs WA Regional Director Paul O'Connor said the agency took wildlife crime very seriously and urged anyone with information to continue to contact the Customs Hotline on 1 800 06 1800 if they noticed any unusual or suspicious activity.

"It is a serious offence to take animals from the wild without authority. The maximum penalty for offences under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act is ten years' imprisonment and/or a fine of $110,000."

060327_LizardsREL.jpg

Border Security has done several things on imported/exported reptiles.

Imports do get through, all the time.. the lastest one i know of is a mata mata turtle.

Then there was that guy that released a GTP into the toilets at sydney airport apparently chickend out bringing it through customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back