Freight Packaging?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gecko :)

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone uses to freight their animals in?

Each time we have freighted we use a cloth bag , Foam box & newspaper,. this is also how we receive most of our Reptiles.

However the last time we sent something,. they said they will accept it this last time but next time the box must be made of wood!
I have imported a couple of reptiles since then & they are still being sent in Foam boxes?

Has anyone else been told they cant use foam & must use wooden boxes?

I have received foam boxes from Cairns, but I wouldnt bother trying to send them out of Brisbane as they're more strict with the rules. I have received, but don't use wooden boxes.

For shipping my knobtail geckos, I use Starmaid plastic tubs with plenty of ventilation holes neatly stabbed in it with a soldering iron, with the lid taped on with a lot of packing tape. Inside the starmaid tub each gecko is free to move inside it's own chinese takeaway tub (new, washed & f10'd) which also has lots of soldering-iron holes in it, and is lined with damp paper towel on the bottom. I stuff the free space between the chinese tubs and the freighting tub with shredded newspaper.

I've sent plenty of these from Brisbane AAE with no worries at all. I've asked them to confirm that the plastic tub is ok, and they said that it is fine, they just wont take foam boxes because if something heavy falls on it it will be squashed. (though if they're expecing heavy things to fall on my geckos I'm not too keen on handing them over!!).

Timber boxes have been the requested method for over 4 years now. Brisbane is certainly one of the strictest but they are within their rights to do so as that is the international standard. Other ports just don't care so allow anything through. If you aren't any good at building boxes try Tissue boxes or pencil cases from the craft store or crazy clarks or budgie nest boxes from the pet shop. Just screw a piece of thin ply over whatever opening exists.

the bredli hatchies i picked up from the airport a couple of weeks ago were in a foam esky, they were in socks in that with all foamy packing stuff around them.

Foam boxes are a no no and have been for quite a while now.You might get lucky if the person behind the counter knows no better but its not worth the risk in having to go back home and pack them properly.

I suggest that you use something that won't break open with rough handling,timber boxes work well. Years ago Virgin decided to put a blanket ban on the freighting of reptiles as a direct result of a reptile escaping due to lousy packaging.If the same thing happened with AAE I would hate to be the person responsible for causing it.After all they are the only carrier left for us.

i dont freight my stuff
but when i recieve stuff it comes in a pillow slip
then outside the slip is shredded paper
in a small box
made of wood :)

I use hard plastic 6 pack coolers that i get from the warehouse for $9 each, for padding i use shredded news paper or foam packing balls, the snake/lizard is placed inside a cloth bag before being packed in the cooler.

HI all,

I got the same story at brissy when I last freighted...no foam, no plastic...timber outside only, all snakes to be double bagged, if venomous, species and antivenom info to be attached, sci permits attached to outside. To be freighted in accordance with International regs for live animals.

Mind you it needs a revision..you can put 30 green iguana's under 7.5 cm svl, in a cloth bag 40cm X 22 cm.....if thats not overcrowding I don't know what is!!!

Cheers,
Scott

$10 steel tool box from bunnings. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back