Good News! Incandescent Light Bulb Ban...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

I decided to get to the bottom of the ban on light bulbs today and see if it applied to party bulbs, like everyone has been saying it does. I called the Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and Arts in Canberra and explained our situation. She investigated the matter and just called me back...coloured party bulbs are not part of the ban. If your supplier tries to tell you there are, get them to call the DEWHA and they will set them straight. I also explained to her that some electrical wholesalers were saying they are phasing them out and she said she would organise a mail out to them explaining that they aren't.

You beauty!

I hope the infra red es bulbs are still coming in, having trouble finding some around me. Maybe everyone was buying up. Think i'll still slowly switch to heat panels anyway.

I don't agree with the ban fully - plain reflector globes are probably the best (and one of the most popular) globes for basking animals that need heat - are we all expected to use party globes which are still incandescant globes with coloured glass?? Plus normal 'round' bulbs don't direct the heat and light downwards as well as reflectors do.

Not to mention it is documented that a lot of people (me included) have health issues when exposed to fluro globes (due to the flicker which isn't always visibly obvious).

Banning incandescant globes is nearly as stupid as banning plastic bags. About time those in power woke up to themselves.

I think its time to head to Bunnings and get a big supply. Does anyone know if globes store long term ok?

From the impression she gave me, reflector globes will still be available too. I will confirm this on Monday...

What about the infrared globes for lets say URS

Attachments

• heat lamp 60w.jpg
    heat lamp 60w.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 388
For those who haven't heard about it...

The government is phasing out the import of regular incandescent light bulbs...the regular, round ones that most people use, in favour of the new style fluroescent energy saving bulbs. It's for energy saving reasons.

Er... Ban? Why..?

climate change. if you ask me i think it is just a money making scheme devised by that hypocrit al gore and his buddie's at GE:evil: it is not like a energy saving light bulb is going to reduce emissions that much
is it? power station's will still be producing just as much power and emissions without them with or without them.:rolleyes:

probably wont even happen for all incandestants by nov 08 or happen for quite a while yet

Last edited:
BT,

The ban on importation is effective as of November 2008 and the ban on sales is effective as of November 2009.

I cant see the difference in running a 75 watt globe and a 75 watt heat panel,except one thing the price at $140 a pop for the panel thats a heck of alot of globes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back