Snake handling gear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

porkosta

Reaction score
Hi this is an enquiry as to what everyone has in the snake kit.
Do everyone use all these tools?
- Snake tongs
- Snake hook
- Snake bag

Where is the best place to get these from?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Once you purchase the tongs throw them in the rubbish!

All else get from Jonno From ERD on this site.

Whats the kit for? If its for rescue-
Phone, wide compression bandages, hook, cutters, capture bag and hoop, ties, spare bags, lockable container(requirement in NSW).
Haven't seen any of Jonno's gear so can't recommend it. I've only seen a picture of his capture bag and I cant say I was impressed. The velcro edge is a big minus but he probably feels the same way about the zipper. I prefer the ones from Jeff Barnes of Hawkesbury Herps

Tongs are for barbeques.

Not really for rescue. Just sometimes a snake ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time and I just want to be able catch them to keep them out of danger (dogs, people that would rather kill it) until I can get wires or someone out.

Don't forget the first aid kit. Don't go ANYWHERE without your bandages and first aid incase you get bitten whether it from a snake or goanna or anything with teeth, fangs and/or claws.

No don't throw the tongs away. I hate them. I agree they suck, but there will be times you feel you need them. Like me pulling a red belly out of a post hole full of water. There was no way I could hook the wet, slippery snake. All was good - I let him go unscathed. But on a down note, if you read my recent thread about a rescue that went wrong I reckon the tongs could have done as much harm as the dog bite.

Simon Watharow did an article in Reptiles Australia, three issues ago, listing everything that should be in a kit. It was titled "Snake Tongs, Hooks and You" or something similar.

:p

Hix

Yeah I alway carry a first aid kit in my car. You never know when you will need one.
I'm gonna get a snake hook and capture bag. I have a head pinning tool that I got a couple of years ago but I think that was a waste of money.

Most of the Sponsors of this site sell hooks and bags, and other herpetological supplies.

:p

Hix

Ok sorted will order them today. What do you use the put the capture bad on. Would an fish net frame do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back