Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

domdom22

Reaction score
hi
i have recently decided that i would like to buy a snake...ive been interested in them 4 a while but have never had the $$
just wondering wat kind of snake would be good for my first one and how much they would normally cost.

oh and ive handled tonnes of snakes before so im not worried about that
i think 5 foot would be the max length for me tho
cheers
dom
:D

yeah i no those snakes
but just wondering wat snakes are good for begginers besides the lil macs

My first was a yearling coastal. Awsome snakes personally, and pretty cheap to.
They have the added bonus of being so variant in colour which means you have a BIG range to choose from.

: )

ah the first snake question.. this comes up all the time.. If your after a snake of about 5 feet fully grown then your options are limited. Jungles are good for that size, expect to pay from 450 to about 700 depending and colours etc.. or the childrens family.. it all comes down to what you like..in terms of colours and patterns

mmm well im 15 with not much cash
i like coastal carpets they look cool as n are cheap but mum would kill me if i got one that big
the max i could pay for a snake would prob be 300

mmm well im 15 with not much cash
i like coastal carpets they look cool as n are cheap but mum would kill me if i got one that big
the max i could pay for a snake would prob be 300

keep in mind that they'll take several years to get that big. I'd suggest starting with a youngster, it'll be cheaper and although you'll cop more bites whilst it's young, you'll adjust to the size as it grows and you and you mum will get use to it as it grows.

Coastal carpets are great, so are bredli. Bredli probably aren't quite as big as coastals but they do get up there round 8 -9 foot. Darwin carpets are another to look at, they're a bit smaller and should be round 250 - 300, similar to bredli.

Atherton jungles are a bit cheaper then black and gold jungles. Not as bright and impressive but still a good snake. Once again though these can get over 6 foot.

Personally If I was you, I'd look at a darwin or save my pennies for a jungle. try get together round 400 - 450 for a jungle.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that this isn't the best time of the year. There are a few going second hand but most breeders have sold all their stock and are waiting on new eggs. Best time will be early to mid next year, this would give you time for a bit more money to put towards your snake.

For my first snake, I decided upon a Murray Darling or called Inland Carpet Python, because of the placid temperament and the size. :D I didn't want one as small as the Childrens group but not one of the bigger pythons. I believe that the MD are placed in the mid size category, being smaller than the average coastal. When handling, I found that the MD wasn't generally inclined to bite, although you can find biters in every type.

The price was very good too. Here in SA, I got a 6mth juvie from Reptile City for $225. :D :D :D

The Centralian or Bredli was my second choice but only second, because of the higher price range. They are beautifully marked and around the mid size too. For extra info, try doing a Wiki search on this forum or do a 'Google" search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back