Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been mad on animals but my first brush with reptiles was a wild bluetongue who lived in our garden. He was finding it tough so I used to hunt snails in the neighbourhood for him. Then a kid at school brought his python to school & tried to scare some of us with it, lol. He made the mistake of coming my way & was quickly relieved of it. My friends thought I was mad but ever since then I have wanted a snake. Now we have 5 and counting....plus lizards, frogs etc..lol.

I first had the thought of keeping a reptile as a pet when I was around 8yo.
We my dad and I lived in Katherine NT, which was only being developed then. Our yard backed on to bush, and I had to walk thru the bush for 30-40 mins to get to school. so there were always lots of beasties around.

One day I went out into our street, and the older boys from the area yelled out that they had found a legless lizard.. I ran over all excited, cos I loved how they looked like snakes, and I thought about how I would love to keep one as a pet...
When I got there, one of the boys held out his hand, and showed me a poor, mangled little legless lizard. They had killed it.
I was so dissapointed and upset. I just kept yelling at them, saying why did you kill it?? Why did you kill it?? I couldn't comprehend why they had done it. I thought about that lil lizard for ages, and thats when I decided I would keep a reptile as a pet one day..

I work outdoors on alot of building sites, and in more than 10 year of doing so had never come across a snake. Then earlier this year i found 1m RBB and becauce where he was smack bang in the middle of a new development, (and the bloke i was workin with wanted to kill it) i relocated him to a nearby creek with plenty of frogs. Anyway the next weekend i went to my local pet shop and they had a little reptile show on (another 1st) and whatdiya know they had the most beautiful RBB! I took it as a sign and grabed the paperwork... the rest as they say is history, we now have a housefull! (still waitin for the RBB thou)

I always like animales since i can remember but no one else in my family likes animals so was always a mission to be allowed to keep pets.
I always liked reptiles as they are like no other animals, i started off with turtles, as they have always been my favorite and the only type of reptile I was allowed to keep.
And then I moved out with my boyfriend at the start of this year and we finally got our first snake and now we have 4

When i was in about year 3 at school we had one of those travelling reptile displays come to our school, the lady had a BHP that would just wrap around her waist and not move. wanted one ever since but at the time i lived with my grandparents and they were old school with their opinions of snakes. Had to wait until i moved out and got my own house and then convince the wife but that i did and she now loves them as much if not more than i do. The babys anyway :D

When I was 7 my family moved up from california to washington, and the first spring in the duplex we lived in (we were waiting for the house to finish being built) hatchling garter snakes would make their way to the woods from under the house. So i started catching them. Up till high school it would be my pastime to catch them in the summer. My mom would not let me keep them but eventually with lots of convincing and persuading I purchased my first kingsnake. the most I had was eight but I cut back to four, wanting more but bf is making a limit of 4 for now......

:shock:Sounds more like you were tagged by the"long strandov brown" species quite often lurks through pubs and clubs, its main victims are of the male species .But has been known to get a few females, on its path :lol:..:lol:...:lol:...:lol:...:lol:...:lol:...:lol:...:lol:.............be careful with that one TATELINA....

i grew up being obsessed with jurassic park- the movies. loved dinosaurs. use to go camping a heck of a lot as a kid, and loved feeding the goannas that would come around the campsites. always thought one day i would have a dragon. then 7 years ago i finally brought a beardy. it sort escalated from then. i think my husband regrets saying yes the first time. cause now i just keep asking for more and more and more. even my daughter is fully into the hobby with me, and loves them to death. which is fantastic. always good to have extra hands when cleaning and feeding. since the hubby is a wuss..... :D

You ppl make me jealous :p I couldn't have anything like this when I was a kid. My parents said no way, end of story. Then my first partner also refused to allow me to have anything so another 6 years when by and I had actually forgotten about it, believing it was never going to happen. Broke up with him and got married, 5 years into the marriage (3 years ago) I made a very random comment to my husband that I am going to buy a snake. I started bringing stuff home he asked me if he could talk me out of it. NO WAY!!!!! Now I have 9 snakes and 4 lizards and a frog, an FAWNA care wild non-ven. reptiles and catch & relocate venomous snakes. I am happy now, finally got my snake :D

snakes were a fact of life for me growing up as a kid at la perouse. we used to always be un the bushland & they were always around. quite often on sundays we'd see john cann doing his snake show down at "the loop" I remember in early school days the little aboriginal kids would pull a little snake out of their back pockets & show the teachers. they used to really freak out!
I wore away at my mother for probably 5 years before one day out of the blue she gave in, she had her concerns. a few months later she was stroking my diamond python under the chin. mum was in love too! then came a childrens python.regretably 8 years later I moved out of the family home and couldnt take her with me into rental accomadation, so I donated her to taronga zoo.
that was 20 years ago. the good old days when you couldnt buy anything. you had to make your own cages,hideboxes, figure out lights & problem solve etc yourself. no internet for research then! had to breed you own mice because supply was insufficient & very unreliable.I wont mention the theft of gum tree branches fron national parks while looking over your shoulder!
had to drive from la perouse to frenchs forest (50 kilometres) as he was the only known reptile vet at the time, due to a mouth injury from flyscreen on the front of the cage. a commonly known no no now,
quickly replaced with perspex sheets after a couple of days drilling a few hundred holes for ventilation.
the good old days?
now I have young kids myself, and just started herping again with a blacksoil dragon. my wife is very fond him too, she feeds him his crix & cleans no 2's while I'm at work & manages the crix population.
what more can a man want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back