Please explain the sand thing..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Water is a natural part of every pythons life, thats why i keep mine submerged in a fishtank.

Who is it that said (something like this):

Snakes get run over in the wild, it doesn't mean we start driving through our enclosures....

i just use breeders choice cat litter. have done for years now. never had a problem, touch wood.
and i take out there poos as soon as i notice it, which is always the same day. every 2nd month i put in fresh breeders choice, i use this for all my pythons and skinks. i find its good to soak up the urine and u can always see were the snake/skink has peed, i have a small spoon like thing, which i use to scoop up the wet stuff and there ya go.
i used reptile sand about 6 or 7 years ago when i first started out, but i found it messy, horrible and i had to keep removing the lizards and skinks to feed which just got annoying. i also feel sand is too much of a risk. anyway, everyone has there opinions on what works for them, and there is no right or wrong, its just a matter of what is convenient and what works best for the individual, for me, its breeders choice all the way. cheers
mel

my beardies live on sand,...but their salad bowl is on their basking rock so no sand gets in and i feed them their roaches outside (got sick of having a house ful of escapees,..)..they dont poo in their tank though so it doesnt get nasty and smelly.

a big problem with sand it injesting old poo/or pooey sand if it isnt scooped out/cleaned and changed regulary, it can make lizards sick

the geckos seem to take huge mouthfuls of sand when they nab a cricket, sometimes they just get the sand and miss the cricket,..hehe,...but the sand comes out granulated the way it went in,..

the sands to worry about are the calcium enriched 'reptile sands', teh calcium encourages the animal to eat it and kind binds with the sand to form a hard plug.

teh best and cheapest sand to use is washed playsand, its $5 for 20kgs from bunnings.

my snake was on sand fro a while, till it started getting under his tummy scales so i changed to newspaper,..

In my experience, I've had beardies on sand for 8 years without a problem, and a childrens python on sand for about 15 years without a problem. It might just be bad luck that some get an inpaction. Plus I have always used sticks and things I find outside without 'cleaning' them and have never had a problem either. I think it's kinda like if you use antibacterial EVERYTHING around kids, they never get exposed to anything so their immune system can work, so one day when something comes along that wouldn't effect normal people, they end up with some huge reaction (ok, I know it had nothing to do with herps, just my opinion)

And when it comes to cleaning, I just use a kitty little scoop to get it all out. I think if you can't be bothered changing it all over regularly, that's when problems can occur. Plus I think keeping them on newspaper is terrible, yes it's easy to clean, but it provides no traction, and in the case of things like beardies, it prevents them carrying out normal behaviour, like digging, and I think that's cruel.

So none of that is gospel, just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back