We're all going to die (very soon)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
alot of the fear mongering may be just propaganda because what if this thing were to blow religion out of the water? or even somehow prove global warming is not real? etc

yawn..... have they turned it on yet...... myself an my partner are waiting for "our" big bangs.......

yawn..... have they turned it on yet...... myself an my partner are waiting for "our" big bangs.......

Initial particle beam injections were successfully carried out on 8-11 August 2008, the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008, at 7:30 GMT and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008.

Good ol wiki aye?

You'll have to wait for your big bang... just have a few negligible bangs in the mean time.

Last edited:
LMAO good job on the edit.

this "thing" has us all hyped up over what could happen... i feel a lil disappointed that it had such a boring out come.

By 5:31 tonight we'll know if the world has ended or not from switching the switch - otherwise we'll have to wait till October 21 to know if your negligible bangs turn into big bangs - and if Stevie Harkins says nothing bad gonna happen - then nothing bad gonna happen!

And if Brian Cox says you're a twat for believing the world is going to end because of these large hadron - I'd believe that too... Brian Cox is famous you know...?

Initial particle beam injections were successfully carried out on 8-11 August 2008, the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008, at 7:30 GMT and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008.

Good ol wiki aye?

You'll have to wait for your big bang... just have a few negligible bangs in the mean time.

Ah I thougt I read that yesterday too, so its October we have to worry about, phew :lol:

Ah I thougt I read that yesterday too, so its October we have to worry about, phew :lol:

No - we have to worry about December 21, 2012 - That's when the biggest bang of your life will be :)

The Mayans said so and they know all!!!

But October 21 is an important date too - that's when the first black holes will begin to appear and begin eating the earth from inside out... Slowly sucking the life out of Gaia!

So - big org.... I mean party at my place starting October 21st 2008 and ending December 21st 2012...

But leave ya black holes at home!

But what is the honest point? To give ourselves yet ANOTHER chance to possibly destroy the world we live in. Atomic bombs, crazy climate change, war, etc etc the list goes on.

Why do crazy scientists feel the need to add to that list?

I agree i think we should halt science altogether. For fear of retribution.

Whoa... Guys.. hold that thought.. something big just happened... oh no, wait... that was my lunch...

But I did read this:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24323526-952,00.html

"Opponents fear the $A9.3 billion machine, which will smash pieces of atoms together at high speed to generate temperatures of more than a trillion degrees centigrade, may create a mini black hole that could swallow the planet"

I swear that it's just gone up in value in the last 24 hours - these people just made like 3 billion dollars overnight... That;'s a big bang for ya buck!!!

"But the general belief is there is nothing to worry about, with one engineer on the project hoping to raise a glass of champagne around 8pm tonight (AEST) as the collider hits full speed."

I bet that glass is only half full though... Or is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?

"Still, there is disquiet out there. Many bloggers on couriermail.com.au have said" Don't turn it on".

"I would rather not know how we got here than get sucked into a black hole," says one. "

How ABSOLUTELY SELFISH!!! Grimmy, stop blogging your opposition to this - that's selfishness. We all need to die to find out the reason why the universe was started...

By the way... opponents to the LHC are not invited to my org.... I mean party - yes.. you leave your black holes at home...

as the collider hits full speed."

I read last night that absolute full speed won't be reached till either Christmastime or early next year..................................
Slim6y, I dond't realise Steven Hawkins had a finger in this pie?? Where did you find his info????

The earth may shake tonight but I think that it may have more to do with all the people trying to get in one last big bang of their own then the machine that is being turned on.

I always thought that science was just a new religion now they are predicting dooms days and all!!!

BTW Steve Hawkins is famos but he has lost some credibility in the scientific comunity over the last few years.

I read last night that absolute full speed won't be reached till either Christmastime or early next year..................................
Slim6y, I dond't realise Steven Hawkins had a finger in this pie?? Where did you find his info????

He was quoted in a newspaper article I read in the telegraph (UK) yesterday - sorry, I don't have a link, but I think it may be on the previous page.

Cheers

So are we going to die or not huh???
yawn...........................................................................................................................................................................fix hair.........................................................................................go get drink.....................................................................................feed frogs................................................................................................................yawn.........................................................................................................................................................................go to sleep...............................................................wake up!

Next thing they'll be telling us they've found bigfoot 8)

Didn't some red-necks already do that and get found out, probably just put some drunk, passed-out mate in a halloween suit and proclaimed it as big-foot.

We talked about this in physics class today, as well as in our chemistry class. One teacher proceeded to tell us, the whole duration of the lesson, how great this would be for figuring stuff out about the universe. The other believed its stupid. Its like fusion in stars (how they provide their light, energy, heat etc), I don't think we'll ever be able to replicate it.. I mean we can hold up the fusion of hydrogen atoms for a few seconds.. The suns do it every second for millions of years...

Look at it this way, and this is totally un-related but another failed science project, the stars produce somewhere near 4 × 10^26 (4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 watts) EVERY SECOND! Thats as much power as our power stations put out in one year.. actually, 2 billion powers stations would produce that much energy a year.. and stars do it in one second, for millions of years..

EDIT: I one day eventually hope to do physics in uni :oops:

Last edited:
Glad you liked it, Katie.

thesilverbeast: no, I haven't :( It'd be pretty cool though :) What year of uni did you go in? I only did one year of chemistry and physics. It's a shame, I'd have been a better physicist than biologist and my partner wouldn't be upset about the dangers of venomous snakes (then again, she might worry about me blowing myself up or something :lol: ).

slim6y: The LHC is very much a hit and miss gadget, so maybe it'll take four years to finally get a hit. You never know :lol:

i did in in my third year medical chemistry degree. It was mainly focused on the medical imaging aspects of it rather than physics. Twas awesome!

I hope to study physics after this degree!

How much longer now guys?
I didnt care until people at work started asking what i was going to do for the last hour of my life when i knocked off........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back