Murray Darling vs Bredii

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tattoolizzie

Reaction score
Looking for some advice:

1. What are the pros and cons of MD vs Bredii for my next snake?
2. What time of year would established (feeding/shedding wise etc) hatchies of each be available?
3. What is an average price cost wise?
4. How long could I keep either of them in an enclosure 1200mm (length) x 400mm (depth) x 300mm (hight) before I had to upgrade to something with more climbing space?

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

Lizzie

Looking for some advice:

1. What are the pros and cons of MD vs Bredii for my next snake?
can't say as I don't own a md
2. What time of year would established (feeding/shedding wise etc) hatchies of each be available?
around 4-6months
3. What is an average price cost wise?
bredli I payed $300 for my female and my male was a little cheaper, md are cheaper I think.
4. How long could I keep either of them in an enclosure 1200mm (length) x 400mm (depth) x 300mm (hight) before I had to upgrade to something with more climbing space?
can't really say, be better off 1200mm high 600mm deep 600mm wide

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

Lizzie

Dave

Pros and cons come down to personal choice, I own both and they are all really well tempered, if there is Kids about I would go the MD also if its a first snake I would go the MD, They are a greatly under rated snake. As hatchies I think they are fairly closely priced and you will get 18 months or so from an enclosure of that Size.

1. Bredlis are brighter, but supposedly MDs are usually dog-tame. I personally prefer bredlis.
2. Anywhere from three weeks onwards.
3. Bredlis: $250-400. MDs: $250-300.
4. Not sure exactly, but a couple of years at least. However, since both snakes are arboreal, it's usually recommended to have a greater height than width, because they'll climb right from the word go.

Thanks for the help guys - I do have a couple of little kids so maybe an MD would be the go.
I know a low long enclosure is not ideal, but I have one I'm doing up for my spotted when he's bigger. I figured that maybe I could put a bigger snake in there in the meantime while i wait for the spotted to grow.

When I do get another snake, in regards to quarantine would they need to be in a seperate room? and if so, for how long?

Thanks, Lizzie

It really depends, theres angry as bredli and angry MD. My first bredli (female) is dog tame and I've only had her a month and a bit, on the other hand my new male is a devil but he should settle down.

i recently went through the same situation re bredli or murray and finally decided on the murray as its local to my state.Ive now had him for a little over a month and could not be happier,although he has bitten me i have found with the little knowledge i do have it was my own fault.I now do not hesitate when picking him up as thats how i got bitten be firm and just grab hold and he comes out like a champ and now handles really well ive included a recent photo to show markings

Attachments

• snake 008.jpg
    snake 008.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 101
  • snake 009.jpg
    snake 009.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 70
Get both =)

We have 3 Bredli and 1 MD - I like both of these species so I can't really choose a seperate one. It's up to you on what you choose though.

Yeh get both, I have a 2yo 4ft bredli. He is in a 750mm long enclosure and about 450mm high and deep. We take him out for a walk and climb daily (I know snakes cant walk but I like the sound of it (like those who call their snake Fluffy:))

I have a female MD, six months old. She is so gentle, has querky rituals, and MD's make great looking adult snakes. I have just brought another Male MD hatchy. Got him home and he "started" bitting when being taken out of enclosure. Due for feeding on that day so offered a feed, he surprisingly took it (none of my other snakes ate first feed let alone first day). Anyway, today he has been fine, no bites, no nothing, just a loveable MD.

I have been looking for another bredli or a jungle and have since brought the two snakes I was not in a hurry to get (brought a childrens a few months ago). So point is have fun looking, you'll know when you've found the one you'll take home. You have one snake already, the next will be so much clearer and easier to buy. Just start looking and enjoy the ride.

Oh prices, my female MD was 200 from private breeder, My male was 280 from a shop but the light pattern was what caught my eye. My bredli was 300 from a private breeder.

I have both also. My Bredli is a little biter, but the MD is so docile. She is fantastic snake to have around the kids. Plus MD's a usually pretty good feeders. In vic MD is $250 and Bredli is $320 on average.

Both snakes are much the same to keep. Plenty of adults live and breed in the size cage you mention. MD should be available as hatchoes in Jan/Feb. Bredli are a little later, say March /April. Bredli are normally a bit dearer, not sure why as they normally have larger clutches than MDs..

MDs are smaller, generally dont ever bite and from what i have heard bredli are less arboreal than MDs. Apart from that its just pretty much the looks.

When I got my M.D he was bitey for the first couple of months, now he's a big sook! He was $160 from S.A.

My Bredli are fairly placid, havent bitten in awhile :)

Nice looking MD, Troyster! Looks so much like my Snakey!! Did you get him from Reptile City by any chance? :D

I chose to get a Murray Darling after doing lots of research because...I wanted a mid sized python (larger than the childrens but not as large as the coastal), MDs seemed to have a good rep for being placid, I liked the strongly contrasted pattern against the background colour of the SA form (even though Bredli are brighter in colouring), good price, rep for being hardy and good feeders, readily available here, and native to my state...and Snakey was so placid when I first held him,(and still is), he just had to be the one.

Bredli was my second, close second choice. :D I think both would make great pets. Imo, it all comes down to personal choice. I have heard others advise to go with the one you like (go by your 'gut instinct' / follow your heart), because if you choose another due to some other factor, you'll eventually end up getting the one you had in mind anyway....Or frustraited if you don't have enough room! :rolleyes: :lol:

Good luck on your new python. I'm sure you'll choose the right one for you.

Last edited:
From experience ( i have 5 MD's and 2 bredli ) i think MD's are a better handled snake but like most other people have said each snake has thier own personality and temperament.

My MD's are perfect handlers never biting and on the other hand my bredli's are the spawn of satan and bite and strike a fair bit but i am sure some other keepers will say they have my problem just the other way around.

Personal choice. They are both great snakes.

Cameron

Nice looking MD, Troyster! Looks so much like my Snakey!! Did you get him from Reptile City by any chance? :D

thanks for the kind words slytherin,but no he didnt come from reptile city i got him from scales.Ive noticed yours is more silvery where as mine has a more red/brown colouring completely different colours from the same species which is one thing that i really liked about MDs,and the part that they are local to my state and a great beginner snake.

Gotta love the MD, they have so much going for them! We are so spoilt for choice with all the quality MDs here in SA! :D

When I saw the native animal presentation they had with Bailey the MD at Warrawong Sanctuary, here in SA, I felt bad for them losing their natural environment with the Murray in the bad state that it is! :( I knew I just had to get a MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back