Snake not pooing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythline08

Reaction score
hey i have a diamond python that about a week and a half ago i moved from a heat mat thta was on 24 hrs while is was young as a heat source to a lamp because he is 9 months and bigger, the light is on for 11-12 hrs then through the night there is no heat. I feed him on sunday last week and he still has not pooped should i be concerned or is it just cause it takes longer to digest with only heat in the day??

Thanks
Pythline

what is the temp in the enclosure?? hot end? cold end? and in the centre? maybe the enclosure isnt hot enough to help with digestion. but hard to say without knowing the temps. do you also know you need uva/b light for your diamond?? its needed to stop the chances of your python getting diamond python snydrome. ive also read somewhere that uv also helps with digesting food.dont know how, but i cant say that it dosent.

yer i have a UVA/B light in the ensloure the enclolsure in the basking spot is about 32-35 and below that is 28 and to the cold end is is about 22 and at night the temps get to about 19.

Pythline

This is usually common in times of stress more than other times, just leave your little guy alone for a week or 2 and he'll be fine. Besides, often snakes can not poo cause theyre going up to a shed coincidentally.

do you also know you need uva/b light for your diamond?? its needed to stop the chances of your python getting diamond python snydrome. ive also read somewhere that uv also helps with digesting food.dont know how, but i cant say that it dosent.

It isn't the UV, its the temps. Look into it a bit more, i dont want to start an argument. How big was the food item you gave it Pythline?

one fuzzy rat every 7-10 days i have been feeding him that for about 6 weeks now. one question what are the right temps for diamond s i really need no know. no arguments promise

Pythline

he has been a bit stressed it looks like for a few days maybe the enclosure is a bit big for him he is 93cm and the enclosure is around 80cm long by 70 cm high by 45cm wide approx How does that sound??

Pythline

temps sound good. its good that you have uv light. as others have said about the stress. maybe its that. it could even be worth a call to a reptile vet just to check all is ok. allways remember everyone here will try and help, but are any of us vets? im not.

as long as you have hides in there he should be fine, i wouldnt think that two weeks without defacating is anything to stress to hard about. he may have absorbed most of it. focus on getting him to chill out a bit. make sure you a have a hide in the warm sport and one in the cool spot. also i dont thgink that your temps could drop down a few derees, about 30 deg in the hot spot and around 20 in the cool. you are in sydney, and i think that no temps at night is fine. leave hime be for a while and he should settle.

You said you have been feeding him for the past six weeks?
If you cooled him then or if he went off his food (ours have started eating again with this warm weather) and he is now eating again, perhaps he is going to shed, hence holding in a crap.

Here are some pics of the enclosure you can see where the heat lamp and the UV reflector are positioned and see how big the ensloure is !!

Thanks for the help guys
Pythline

Attachments

• P1030077.jpg
    P1030077.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 56
  • P1030078.jpg
    P1030078.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 58
  • P1030079.jpg
    P1030079.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 56
  • P1030080.jpg
    P1030080.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 57
  • P1030081.jpg
    P1030081.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 56
try feeding him a bigger food item:)
my diamond is eating that size food and is about 80cm and poops regularly but needs a food upgrade soon. so yeah bump up a food size. and that might encourage him to get his guts moving. the temps sound a bit warm but since there is a cool enough end he should be fine:) just try not to get it any hotter than that:)

One thing in the morning i will see him in a spot but he won't move all day like once he has found a position he won't move lik he will ove around in that spot but not like to the other end of the enclosure any reason for that?. alos looking at the pics i attached the enclosure is the right size don't you think?

Thanks
Pythline

one more question can i still feed him if he hasn't pooped or not??
Pythline

yea its totally fine that he site in one spot for very long time periods smaller pythons lose heat much faster than larger pythons because smaller pythons have a higher surface area to volume ratio and larger adult pythons have a lower surface area to volume ratio.
IF that makes scene to you:D
also yes u can feed him still
i know it can be very stressing getting your first python but you will get used to it :D
also what is the size of that enclosure? because i got a 9 month old coastal in a 1200mm high by 800 wide by 800 deep:)

firstly, i dont mean to be rude, but did u do any research before purchasing a snake.?
i noticed your other thread about your snake being stressed out.
my first bit of advice is to leave him alone. dont even look at him.
check that he has water and that is that.
secondly, i think the enclosure is to big, but that is something everyone has there opionions about and i dont want to start a debate, all my snakes start the first 2 years in click clacks, going from small to medium to large then when they are big enough, then to a full size enclosure. and i havnt had any problems with any of them being stressed.
thirdly, i wouldnt worry if he hasnt pooed yet, its just like us humans, we dont always go at the same time everyday. yes you can feed him, only if he will accept it, whether he does or not, you have to not touch. snakes DO NOT enjoy being held.. despite what people think, they will tolerate it but dont enjoy it. i have found by leaving my snakes alone they have made much better handlers as they arnt stressed and ready to bite.
anyway, i hope non of this sounds rude or anything like that. just trying to word my advice properly. best of luck with your snake.
cheers
mel

Thanks for the advice everyone and mrillusion the enclosure is around 80cm long by 70 cm high by 45cm wide approx

Pythline

yea its totally fine that he site in one spot for very long time periods smaller pythons lose heat much faster than larger pythons because smaller pythons have a higher surface area to volume ratio and larger adult pythons have a lower surface area to volume ratio.
IF that makes scene to you:D
also yes u can feed him still
i know it can be very stressing getting your first python but you will get used to it :D
also what is the size of that enclosure? because i got a 9 month old coastal in a 1200mm high by 800 wide by 800 deep:)

mrillusion....... a 9 month old coastal in a 1.2mtre long enclosure......
what the!! :shock:
put the poor thing in a click clack. i have 18 month old pythons still in large sized click clacks.

I think your snake is fine in that size enclosure because in the wild which we are trying to replicate in captivity(i.e. uv rays, proper temps, hides, plants,etc) they don't live in a click clack they have the whole continent at their scales.... All my baby snakes have started in the enclosure they could use as an adult so that shouldn't be a problem. Because we all well know that if you release your snake tomorrow it's not going to die because it's to stressed out from to much space. From what it looks like it's the temp change. Give the snake some time it's going to poop no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back