What Plant is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Does anybody know the name of this water plant and whether or not it is native?

Also, can you suggest some native plants - Mid North Coast NSW - to grow along the sloping banks of a narrow creek bed. I am hoping to find something that can re-seed and multiply itself. My first thought was lomandra which doesn't mind its feet being wet, but if you have anything else to suggest, I am all for ideas.

My children and I began a project on the weekend - taking the forest next door to our house into our own hands and cleaning it up. Be a long, slow job for us but the kids enjoy getting outdoors so thats what we are doing. There is also a creek that runs through there. ATM it is rather dirty so want to throw in some hardy, native water plants that can help clean it up and maintain it.

Attachments

• P1050375.JPG
    P1050375.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 118
This is what the forest looks like now. Last photo shows very small improvement after 1 hours work. Doesn't look like we did a hell of a lot but I can only really fill up 2 garbage bags a week otherwise I would have no room in my garbage bin for it. But the forest is home to plenty of small bird life, frogs and we have seen the odd blue tongue lizard there too so we want to make it better for them.

Attachments

• P1050357.jpg
    P1050357.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 49
  • P1050361.jpg
    P1050361.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P1050360.jpg
    P1050360.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P1050369.jpg
    P1050369.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 55
  • P1050371.jpg
    P1050371.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 58
looks like a lovely place, where abouts are u located? sorry i cant help on the plant

Lovely place?? You got to be kidding :p but it will be eventually. I emailed a photo of the plant to DECC. Hopefully they will reply.

But what about these ones? Anyone know if they're natives or not?

Attachments

• P1050406.jpg
    P1050406.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 68
plant i.d

gday,
that plant is called 'common star wart' or callitriche stagnalis.
originally native to s.europe and asia,is common in coastal areas.
other good plants to plant are isolepsis nodosa,restio tetraphyllus. native nymphoides will grow fully submerged has yellow or white flower...heaps of others...
regards michele

Thankyou Michele. I appreciate your input, and will look out for those names you have mentioned :)

I'm not sure what the first plant is but the second one isn't native.
That place looks like it will be very nice when it's all cleaned up. At least it doesn't look like you have any lantana, then it would take you even longer. Mum wanted part of our property cleared of lantana so she could grow some more natives and it took days to clear. The itchiness of the lantana scratches were sooo annoying.

Last edited:
There is a little bit but it seems to be mostly over run by this purple flowering plant. This is absolutely everywhere, and it is a climber and is wound around tree branches going upwards into the trees. It seems to be easy enough to pull out except the runs go for ever. lol

Attachments

• P1050394.jpg
    P1050394.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back