Green Tree Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPOTTEDMAC

Not so new Member
Reaction score
did you all see the tv on border security they caught a guy in melbourne importing 2 GTPS from south africa

they put the poor snakes down

what a crying shame !!!

yes and i think we all know who that was:shock:... im suprised how long it took for them to put it on tv.

Yes and it is sad. Even that guy down in melbourne had over 100 species and wild caught i think. $3000 and 2 gtps killed. SLAP ON THE WRIST !

stuff the guy i feel sorry for those beautiful snakes ,,,, what beautys i would have loved them!!!!!!!!

Yeah, as much as we all would like to keep them, you just have to remember that they can pose a risk,,, we wouldnt want that to happen to our reptiles! We dont want them getting diseases... I reckon the zoo's should just keep them in quarantine...

i dont know who it was but yeah i was so shocked when the put em down what a crock.
but fair nuff in reality. and 3k thats was it i was shock i mean if he could afford all of those herps then 3k is nothing. shoulda been jail time and 50 k that woulda hurt

i didnt watch but I was really saddened when i heard at work today. Zoos import and export animals fairly frequently (unless pandas, polar bears, lions etc were here all along?) and I know laws have changed in recent years but if we can import millions of dollars worth of living matter, whether it be plant, seed or animal, why not save these lovely snakes? Im sure someone would cough up the money for relevent testing.
That said i work in admin so what do i know.

Yeah i watched it last night. They were bloody nice pythons.

Cameron

Remembering that those beautiful snakes could have brought in diseases to infest our critters
...its a pitty they had to do it ......but glad they did!

its nothing but a shame. what was wrong with putting the snakes in quarintine then giving them to a zoo or me. lol. just how many of these and other band animals pass our borders without being picked up? these snakes are worth next to nothing overseas, and to post them here wouldnt cost much. just think how much money this person could of made from this pair of snakes. hatchies sell at around $5000 each. so a $3000 fine and $300 court cost is nothing when you look at a potentual of $50,000 from just 1 clutch from these snakes. you can see how the greed of money makes people take such a risk. and id say a very small risk. and if you do get caught, the fine wont be much.

I agree, they shouldn't have killed those beutifful(sorry, not good at spelling) snakes, but I would honestly prefer to have 2 snakes killed instead of having a virus, or something introduced.

If i were to make a false entry on my reptile book i could get a possible $3300 fine.This guy brings in possibly diseased animals and he gets the same fine.That seems fair.

There no diseased and they don't spread it to your snakes ...yes it may kill their collection, but its their risk, not yours.
They don't release these exotic species into the bush to infect other snakes aswell..they keep them in a tank...Border security is tight for absolutely no reason but to rip us all off and have us pay high taxes for **** 1/3 the price elsewhere.

There are lots of people out there who do get caught, and lots that don't... personally I think good on them for softening up Australia's ridiculous laws and just maybe someday...we'll get Milksnakes, Cornsnakes,pyeballs, some of the most intriguing COLOURFUL snakes... after all...they have all of our countries snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back