petition to stop live animal skinning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not serious are you? This bit is a joke right? :?

I agree with the fact that animal cruelty is horrific, but everyone needs to take a step back and realise that most Chinese (particularly rural) live in very poor conditions themselves - an animal represents food in a country where famines which killed millions aren't in the distant past but are in living memory. When human life is reasonably cheap, then animal life is even cheaper.

It is easy to be high and mighty when we have plenty of food, good education, a strong welfare system and a reliable, democratic government, but try to just condemn the action rather than making racist comments about a culture that is a polar opposite to our own. By claiming that every culture that is different to our own is 'barbaric' or 'uncivilised' we are just buying into the American rhetoric that whatever isn't Western democracy is inherently 'evil'. And look where that has got us so far!!!

Ummmmm...... even if they are killing for food (which they are NOt IN THIS CASE), there is no need to use torture to do it.

thats disgusting, how can people do that to an animal?

They have differant ethical and cultural backgrounds and are desensitised to it, i doubt they see it as wrong, its a bit like catch and release fishing or cruel methods of slaughter allowed under native title and other exemptions for cultural reasons in Australia.

Ummmmm...... even if they are killing for food (which they are NOt IN THIS CASE), there is no need to use torture to do it.

I agree,.
JessB, I definately dont agree with your post.
Unless I have misread it?,. but I dont think so,.
Are you saying it is ok?

I agree,.
JessB, I definately dont agree with your post.
Unless I have misread it?,. but I dont think so,.
Are you saying it is ok?

Gecko, you obviously have misread my post pretty fundamentally. I state quite clearly that this is a horrific thing to do, and by our Western standards it is completely unacceptable.

But I get the feeling that most people who come out with a blanket statement to the effect "this is unequivocally wrong and anyone who does this is barbaric and uncivilised" is pretty narrow minded, and I would guess have never been to a developing country and seen the living conditions of most of the world's population.

I think we need to accept that we have been brought up in a nation where a certain degree of cruelty to animals is unacceptable. However as I pointed out in another post, many Buddhists would think we were barbaric for slaughtering animals to eat, and many PETA advocates would think we were terrible for keeping animals as pets. Hell, most Chinese would think we were inhuman for putting our elderly in nursing homes! It all comes down to what we are brought up with. We can't claim to be unarguably "right" - we need to accept that what we do is right for us, within our cultural upbringing and social system. I don't believe that it is constructive to impose our belief system on a nation that has a culture so different that we can't even compare it.

Sure, sign a petition and use economic protests to discourage groups from doing things you disagree with - that's what democracy is all about. But don't make statements like "how can these barbaric, cruel Chinese do this?" it is divisive, unhelpful and assumes that we have a moral right to dictate to the rest of the world how things should be done.

And I think the claim that we should stop eating at Chinese restaurants to teach these heathens a lesson is pretty comical really...

i got about 2 seconds into the video and decided i already hate people enough,..

after reading other people comments i'm really grateful i havent watched it,...

signed it, people make me sick. :(

why the hell cant they kill hte poor critters first, i really hope they get it all back,...!!

i managed about 10 seconds that time, i feel sick. :(

i signed it, wish i read the thread first cause i whatched the movie :( got about 5 secs had to turn it off otherwise ild be crying all over my desk :(

I don't believe that it is constructive to impose our belief system on a nation that has a culture so different that we can't even compare it.

Sure, sign a petition and use economic protests to discourage groups from doing things you disagree with - that's what democracy is all about. But don't make statements like "how can these barbaric, cruel Chinese do this?" it is divisive, unhelpful and assumes that we have a moral right to dictate to the rest of the world how things should be done.

And I think the claim that we should stop eating at Chinese restaurants to teach these heathens a lesson is pretty comical really...

Jess B, you are obviously out of touch with animals....... how can you see, or be aware that animals are suffering, hideously so, and not want to do anything about it. Sure, it's not right to dictate to others how they should live, but it's certainly not right to put ANYTHING living through such an ordeal and decide that's how they should die. At least kill the poor thing humanely first. (no, still not seen the vidoe, but going on what others have said)

Jess B, you are obviously out of touch with animals....... how can you see, or be aware that animals are suffering, hideously so, and not want to do anything about it. Sure, it's not right to dictate to others how they should live, but it's certainly not right to put ANYTHING living through such an ordeal and decide that's how they should die. At least kill the poor thing humanely first. (no, still not seen the vidoe, but going on what others have said)

You have missed my point completely.

Whether you are in a developed or developing with poor living conditions doesn't mean they are justified in the way the animals are treated. living conditions and morals/ethics/and the ability to use a brain doesn't go hand in hand. Cultures are different but doesn't mean they can't change or we have no right to. We should be looking out for the ones that are below us on the food chain.(which is everything) We have laws Australia has laws but they didn't use to be there, meaning we can change as a culture which is what our protesting is hoping will do. Whether it takes the whole world to do it or not.

did anyone manage to watch teh video? i wanted to know if that poor animal was killed or just thrown skinless onto a pile to die,..?

the 10 seconds i managed to watch ran thru my head every time i woke up last night,..so i cant find that out fro myself.

i do remember reading an article on skinning live snakes a while ago, they use a hose to fill them with water, (stretch them) , pull the skin off then just throw the skin less snake on a pile which takes around 48 hours to die,..

i cant get my head around how anyone can do that to an animal, i found myself praying (not that i'm religious, maybe i should join a church) fro natural disasters to wipe out the whole of china last night, and any other country that feels this is an acceptable practice,...

it is left to die to much effort to kill it when you have another couple of hundered to do before home time!
did anyone manage to watch teh video? i wanted to know if that poor animal was killed or just thrown skinless onto a pile to die,..?

the 10 seconds i managed to watch ran thru my head every time i woke up last night,..so i cant find that out fro myself.

i do remember reading an article on skinning live snakes a while ago, they use a hose to fill them with water, (stretch them) , pull the skin off then just throw the skin less snake on a pile which takes around 48 hours to die,..

i cant get my head around how anyone can do that to an animal, i found myself praying (not that i'm religious, maybe i should join a church) fro natural disasters to wipe out the whole of china last night, and any other country that feels this is an acceptable practice,...

You have missed my point completely.

I dont think she did, you are saying that we should not get in to their business as they are raised different to us!, and that we have no right to dictate to them how to live so in saying that you are infact justifiying it. A heroin addicts child is raised with herrioin - so we dont tell them its bad?, a sons father kills his mum - we dont tell him its not good to follow in his dads footsteps?. Every country has different cultures we all know that, but in my oppinion it is BARBARIC to kill like that and it is UNCIVILISED to not want to better your self and strive for more!.
It is you oppionion and this thread is not of the same so pleases just dont come here, just allow others to gain an oppinion for them selves.
It take a great person to care for things that are beneath him! it take a weak person to watch on.

Whether you are in a developed or developing with poor living conditions doesn't mean they are justified in the way the animals are treated. living conditions and morals/ethics/and the ability to use a brain doesn't go hand in hand. Cultures are different but doesn't mean they can't change or we have no right to. We should be looking out for the ones that are below us on the food chain.(which is everything) We have laws Australia has laws but they didn't use to be there, meaning we can change as a culture which is what our protesting is hoping will do. Whether it takes the whole world to do it or not.

spot on!!!!!
Aztecs use to rip out virgins hearts as a sacrefice to their gods - should we allow this to still happen?
it has not just been animals, we have been even crueler to our selves and still are - some parts of africa women are still captured and used as sex slaves - you know what im not going to get started or my post will be endless!!

surely cutting its jugular of stabbing it in the heart wouldnt take too much time.

damn i wish i didnt know that, i hate humanity more than ever now. :(

but thanks for the answer,... :(

I couldn't watch once I saw what the petition was for.

Some time ago someone posted a video of an animal being skinned alive that I did watch and and I cried. It disturbed me fro the rest of the day. Now I am crying just thinking about might be on that website and the animals that have been killed in this way.

I couldn't watch once I saw what the petition was for.

Some time ago someone posted a video of an animal being skinned alive that I did watch and and I cried. It disturbed me fro the rest of the day. Now I am crying just thinking about might be on that website and the animals that have been killed in this way.

Jackrabbit, it is the very same video, the link leads to the animalsaviors site, where there is a separate link to the petition to sign. (look along the black bar to the top of the screen, one of the tabs there is to go straight to the petition).
If this affected you so strongly, I urge you to please sign the petition, the more that sign, the more we show how unacceptable their activity is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back