do you reckon i could build a half decent pit for 120?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke1

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all!
well i have finally got a person buying my jackies on Sunday and will be getting 120 for the pair! i have about 20 bucks now anyway do you guys reckon i could build a pit for 120- 140 to house several blueys?

Cheers,

Luke

I had a couple of easy-peasy pits when I was younger, we went to a place that made water tanks (corrugated iron/steel ones, not plastic). They made and cut tanks to size, so they had some offcuts which were basically a ring of metal, no top or bottom. We picked up a 6ft round x about 2ft high ring for $60. Though that was over 10 years ago!
Took it home, dug a trench in a circle about 30cm deep and filled it with roadbase (to discourage burrowing out and assist drainage), sunk the metal ring about 15cm's into the ground and voila! Add lots of leaf litter, some tunnels and plants and you have a complete pit. I did also make a crude lid for it out of chicken wire to keep the cats out.
Just make sure you pick a good well-drained spot for it with a combination of light and shelter.

Goodluck with it.

thanks heaps glider! i'll be running around alot these holidays trying to get some things for it then! yea i already got the spot, half sun and shade! i'll just add more hiding spots anyway!

mebebrain: thanks!

If you ask around,ask your friends im pretty sure you can do it cheaper,ive done the same thing,ive got enough stuff 2 make atleast 3 melamine enclosures,glass and all,its cost me about $70,once their all built they should only cost me under $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back