Far North Queensland 4 -- Mission Beach, frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Many of the nights at Mission Beach were wet and these were good for frogs. Before the frog pics, though, I will include a few more shots of the Mission Beach area:

... rainforest on the surrounding hills:
habitat23.jpg

... distant view of Dunk and the Family Group of islands:
habitat21.jpg

... South Mission Beach area:
habitat24.jpg

... coconut palms and pandanus on the beach:
habitat22.jpg

... fruiting pandanus:
pandanus1.jpg

I found most of the frogs in the Lacey Creek area or along the nearby road. Lacey Creek was severly damaged by Cyclone Larry and there still were many fallen trees in the creek:
habitat20.jpg

Here is a Green-eyed Tree Frog (Litoria genimaculata), a species that I had never before seen. I think that it is nicely marked and it would blend well with the vegetation.
GreenEyed1.jpg

GreenEyed2a.jpg

... cryptic posture:
GreenEyed5a.jpg

GreenEyed3.jpg

The following frogs were the most numerous species at the moment. I suppose that they are Litoria jungguy but the males were coloured differently to those further north at Daintree and Cape Tribulation.

males:
jungguy2.jpg

jungguy3a.jpg

jungguy5.jpg

jungguy6.jpg

females:
jungguy1.jpg

jungguy1aa.jpg

jungguy1b.jpg

I think that this is another pale female Litoria jungguy. It gave me a real surprise when it suddenly leapt from a tree onto my leg.
roths1.jpg

This frog was calling softly from a palm frond that hung over the creek. I don't know what it is. Any ideas? Is it a particularly dark Litoria jungguy or something else?
Litoria1.jpg

Litoria2.jpg

litoria3.jpg

One of the most common frogs by call was what I think to be an Ornate Nursery Frog (Cophixalus ornatus). These frogs called loudly but they were small and they usually remained hidden at the base of leaves or in cavities on the trunks of trees.
OrnateNurseryFrog1.jpg

The world's biggest tree frog was here, the Giant or White-lipped Tree Frog (Litoria infrafrenata). I only saw two on this visit but many in May a couple of years ago when there was heavier rainfall at night.
WhiteLippedFrog1.jpg

WhiteLippedFrog2.jpg

... as discovered. This frog was watching the walkway below and was no doubt ready to pounce on anything edible that walked by.
WhiteLippedFrog3.jpg

Regards,
David

Very nice pics David,
I was up that way 2 months ago, a little futher up though in the Daintree.
Frogs everywhere.

Great photos again David. I love the genimaculata, they are one of my favourite species. Good effort with the Cophixalus, I have been told they can be very tricky to find. Your unknown frog looks like a dark L. jungguy. It is very tricky telling these apart, unless you happen to carry a portable DNA kit. But generally L. jungguy is distributed from just south of Tully northwards (however I think there are populations as far south as Mackay?). But the behaviour of the frogs is quite different, L. wilcoxi is more terrestrial whereas jungguy you can see in trees and on palms and it is more a rainforest dweller whereas wilcoxi is not that common in rainforests. But the morphological differences between these species arnt that great...

Hope that helps

Aaron

Thanks Andy and Aaron.

Andy,
Were you able to take any pics?

Aaron,
Thanks for the L. jungguy/wilcoxi info. The Cophixalus was not easy to find although they are common by call.

Regards,
David

Great pics and beautifull looking terrain, it's always good to see an abundance of native amphibians..

Hi david,

That is not Litoria genimaculata..its Litoria myola.

They are all Jungguy up that way. (Jungguy come down to Eungella)

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

i love mission beach i was up there last october for our honey moon, im trying to talk the wife into moveing up there , great photos mate cheers Grant

Very interesting, Scott. I had not heard of that frog before so did a search on the net ... and now I see why. The article that describes the split from Litoria genimaculata was published in 2006. For those, like me, who were unaware of this split, please see this article:

http://www.anu.edu.au/BoZo/Scott/PDF Files/Hoskin PDFS/Hoskin 2007 BJLS.pdf

Identifiaction is easy at Mission Beach ... Only L. myola is found in this area.

Thanks for the info, Scott.

Regards,
David

Oops,

Looks like I mis-read the map in the article. What the map really shows is the northern and southern populations of L. genimaculata and the isolated population of L. myola from the Kuranda area. Based on that info, then the frogs at Mission Beach are still L. genimaculata.

WOW! Those pictures are just plain awesome! The frogs look Ok too. Just kidding.
The frogs are amazing! I've got to go up there sometime.
What type of camera do you have? The picture quality is amazing.

Thanks, all. Joshua, the camera is a Canon 40D.

After reading Scott's replies on this and another forum, I did a little more research about the confusing frog. Hoskin is not clear about the distribution of genimaculata as well. Here is a quote from his report:

Having described L. myola, do the remaining populations
of the northern and southern lineages of
L. genimaculata represent a single species?

... bunch of stuff ...

This leads to the conclusion that the remaining
Australian populations of L. genimaculata represent a
single paraphyletic species, pending further genetic
and phenotypic analyses of Contact A.

... and another relating to the age old question of what actually constitutes a species:
Debate continues regarding how to delimit species
boundaries ...

Thanks for your input, Scott. I now know of L. myola.

Regards,
David

Yeah Hoskin's paper on L. myola is confusing, I thought L. myola was restricted to Kuranda and the creeks just north west of Cairns. And there are northern and southern "races" of genimaculata on either side of the distribution for L. myola.

Aaron

Awesome frog pics from a lovely area,it's a shame a lot of the area has been cleared.I love the white lips,they're an awesome frog but would love to see if anyone has any pics of jungles from that area because the few times I have been there I've only seen scrubbies and unfortunately was a passenger in a car when my friend came around a sharp corner and accidently ran over a massive scrubby from one side of the road to the other and didn't have enough time to stop before running it over.We turned round and it had gone but most likely would not have survived for long.

It's a rare site to see Mission Beach jungles in the wild these days and almost as rare finding someone breeding guaranteed 100% TRUE to locality Mission Beach jungles which are a really nice locality jungle morphs well known for their solid black and being banded in pattern in general and can get quite big being a coastal fringe jungle.It's still a lovely area although being developed more and more for tourism etc as time goes on,

Thanks for the pics they're top quality photos of lovely varieties of frogs the green-eye tree frog and the white lip are my favourites from the pics...cheers!!

Last edited:
Browns,

I have visited Mission Beach many times but never have seen a live or dead Jungle Carpet Python. I have seen a number of Scrub Pythons:
Amethyst3.jpg

Amethyst1.jpg

... and Brown Tree Snakes:
BrownTreeSnake1.jpg

Slaty Grey Snakes and this DOR Keelback:
keelecd1a.jpg

Regards,
David

Also, this Black-headed Python (DOR) near Cardwell:
Python1.jpg

... and another Scrub from Lacey Creek:
Amethyst9.jpg

Great pics, Tje scrubby and brown tree snake are awsome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back