Anti-Venom

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adreno16

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey,
just wondering if it is possible for people to buy anti-venom. this is probably a stupid question and im guessing the answer is no but i just want to make sure.
cheers.

Not a stupid question but you're right. The answer is no you can't buy it. So whenever you go out walking always carry your first aid bandages, where closed in shoes and long clothes for protection. And hopefully you'll be in range for your mobile phone to work, too.

it wasnt for when i go out herping, more for if i end up gettin an elapid and something goes wrong:(. but i guess i would be able to get to a hospital in time anway. thx for the help mate.

Oh ok, yeah well you should have all that stuff handy in your home anyway. I don't know about other states but NSW National Parks has safety procedures which are compulsory to bide by - where to keep first aid and hooks etc at easy reach, so might be worth researching a safety list to study up on so you aren't in a panic blank if it does ever happen.

yea, i personally would want to keep bandages right next to the enclosure along with anything else i might need. last thing i would want is to get bitten and hav to search for everything.

anaphylactic shock will be the biggest threat to your life if you are bitten. A proper bandage and 1st aid should see you through until you get to the hospital, unless you suffer an allergic reaction, then that could kill you in a matter of minutes. Also, anti-venom cost in the thousands of dollars.

adreno16, if you're allergic to the venom, then you will suffer an allergic reaction. I knew someone that nearly died from an allergic reaction due to being bitten by a brown tree snake, and I knew a different someone that got bitten by an subadult tiger snake and only got a minor local reaction (the bite area itself swelled) and it was fine two days later.

Things like that depend completely on the person and not neccessarily the species of snake.

what are the chances of suffering an allergic reaction to a bite?

You need to have been exposed to the venom before the bite to have an allergic reaction. That doesn't mean that you need to have been bitten in the past, you can be exposed by breathing in dry venom dust which will happen if you keep elapids. But just because you have been exposed doesn't mean you will have an allergic reaction and if you don't have an allergic reaction to the venom you can still have an allergic reaction to the anti-venom.

even if you could keep a supply of anti-venom - it costs thousands of dollars per dose, is vastly different for each snake species, and only lasts a short while before it passes it's 'use by date' and won't work at all.

I think it would be cheaper to hire a chauffeur who knows first aid than to keep a supply of anti-venom around!

That doesn't mean that you need to have been bitten in the past, you can be exposed by breathing in dry venom dust which will happen if you keep elapids.

Hehe is venom dust like fairy dust? :lol: That's so cool...

I think that before you get to the stage where you keep elapids Adreno, you'll have done courses etc (usually) where you'd learn a lot about this anyway. So you'll learn first hand what to do for bite etc and all that sort of stuff. I don't keep Vens yet (or maybe never) because until i've had a lot more experience with them (we have some courses up here) i wouldn't be comfortable. They're awesome snakes though.

yea, i personally would want to keep bandages right next to the enclosure along with anything else i might need. last thing i would want is to get bitten and hav to search for everything.
mate if you plan on keeping a ven ,and its from your area ,as I dont know where you are, your local hospital should have on hand the anti venine,if its not a species that is found around your area..they have another type that can cover all bites...your biggest first aid treatment is to ring 000 tell them you have been bitten by what ever ,apply your bandages AND REMAIN CALM AND SEATED untill the ambo arrives....moving around or trying to get yourself to the hospital by taxi or driving ,your only increasing your chances of further spreading and shortning your time .......if in the bush and you are alone ,no phone , and you have to move well thats a risk you take and hope you make it......alot to think about before getting an elapid..easy to say dont get bitten,but it happens to the most experienced,commonsense will save your butt quicker,then any hero type "george the snakeman attitude";););)

Area Clear, Gloves on, WHAT HAPPENED?? Being bitten by a snake...WHERE"S THE SNAKE???

LOL Sorry Army first Aid training coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back