Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No you get good natured snakes, But if you are hand raising them for 6 months on they are always abit nippy at that age dur to being soo small. Thats all i was saying i handle mine new little baby every day so she gets use to being handle and no i am not a threat. If you go without handling your snake from a young age they will be more cage protective and more scared of you!

Oh Chris, you just ask to be flamed don't you? :p

i don't believe they HAVE to be handled everyday. i'm by no means an expert but i have found that most even when not handled are usually quite calm still. having said that i believe that if you hold a snake that is bitey or flighty etc with regular handling in small amounts (i started off with about a min or 2) they soon learn that you aren't a threat to them. there are obviously going to be snakes that just will not ever like being held and probably others that will have no issues what so ever.
i don't get much time to hold all my snakes and there's one in particular i don't hold at all unless it's to clean her cage. while she has never bitten me yet she does hiss and lets it be known she doesn't want to be held at all. i also have another who doesn't seem stressed when she is held but every now and then will try and have a bite to let u know she's not too keen on it. she doesn't try and get away and will move around happily while u hold her though.

there's a lot of inane comments here.

The simple fact of the matter is that we can't personify reptiles as having a human view of the world. They are however, capable of being conditioned to behave in certain fashions (depending on the individual animal of course) and not be threatened by human contact.
There is even a possibility that some do seek the contact.

However, due tot he fact that we can really only read the body language of a snake and infer the cause of the behaviours based upon a simplistic model (possibly accurate, possibly not).

Warmth and the provision of heat energy for metabolism is a major requirement for any endotherm. If you condition the behaviour of the individual to associate the presence of certain "smells" and shapes with a positive experience, there is a much higher chance of the animal being untroubled by such interaction.

However, as the individual moods of all animals change, we can probably assume that certain driving forces change in similar fashions in the reptile psyche. Again, a snake that is sometimes placid can deliver a nasty feeding response if behaviours are not observed or the survival instinct is just too great at any one time.

there's a lot of inane comments here.

The simple fact of the matter is that we can't personify reptiles as having a human view of the world. They are however, capable of being conditioned to behave in certain fashions (depending on the individual animal of course) and not be threatened by human contact.
There is even a possibility that some do seek the contact.

However, due tot he fact that we can really only read the body language of a snake and infer the cause of the behaviours based upon a simplistic model (possibly accurate, possibly not).

Warmth and the provision of heat energy for metabolism is a major requirement for any endotherm. If you condition the behaviour of the individual to associate the presence of certain "smells" and shapes with a positive experience, there is a much higher chance of the animal being untroubled by such interaction.

However, as the individual moods of all animals change, we can probably assume that certain driving forces change in similar fashions in the reptile psyche. Again, a snake that is sometimes placid can deliver a nasty feeding response if behaviours are not observed or the survival instinct is just too great at any one time.

Well put.

Try and explain this behaviour, the other night in the middle of the desert I was observing a large King brown snake with just half its body sticking out of loose sand. After a while I gave it a tail touch and it completely disappeared into the sand only to come out of the sand a minute later. It then casually cruised over to where I was standing (in just a pair of socks) about 6 feet away then rested his head completely on top of my foot for about a good 40 seconds as if to enjoy the heat or something. Then it started tongue flicking gave a hiss while practically opening its mouth and that’s when I kicked it off toward the direction it came from.
The question begs, what was going through its head?
My thoughts were in this order, the snake came over to me because it smelt something that may have been worth checking out or it was it just a coincidence that I was in the way, it stopped rested experiencing the thermal change, decided to smell taste the area (Sock) and decided that I was actually a threat or perhaps live prey. It never got a chance to display an action after that besides traveling a small distance through the air.

my 2.5 year old bredli just wants to be around us, as soon as i get home he starts hassling to come out, i open his cage, we cuddle for 10 mins then i put him down he curls up somewhere and watches telly with us.
sometimes he makes his way back onto the lounge and sits on me,...most of the time he wraps himself around the leg of the coffee table and looks in the direction of the TV, he does seem to like being part of teh 'family'.
(hes generally out for 6 hours a night)
if im cooking he sits across my shoulders (i like to keep an eye on him so he doesnt disappear) and he doesnt try to get down, just cruises around my shoulders,...

Great post Chris1 :D
do you ever put a collar and lead on him and take him for a walk (or slither) in the park?
my snakes just love their snakewalker collar and leads :D check it out !!!! :p

http://www.snakewalker.com/

kai3.jpg
florking2close.jpg
snake_collar.jpg

I can just picture you doing that too Dave.

My animals are used for breeding, not for play toys.
Snakes are solitary animals as a rule, and only come together to breed or eat each other depending on species, so are best left alone as much as possible imo.
I used to manage a reptile display and have seen first hand the effects over handling can, and in most cases, will do to them. And its not good. Simple as that.!!!

hehe, nah, he doesnt need one, he comes when called, knows to look right and left when crossing the road etc, the only problem is the small children he eats while hes waiting for me outside coles,...!!

Great post Chris1 :D
do you ever put a collar and lead on him and take him for a walk (or slither) in the park?
my snakes just love their snakewalker collar and leads :D check it out !!!! :p

http://www.snakewalker.com/

kai3.jpg
florking2close.jpg
snake_collar.jpg

Try and explain this behaviour, the other night in the middle of the desert I was observing a large King brown snake with just half its body sticking out of loose sand. After a while I gave it a tail touch and it completely disappeared into the sand only to come out of the sand a minute later. It then casually cruised over to where I was standing (in just a pair of socks) about 6 feet away then rested his head completely on top of my foot for about a good 40 seconds as if to enjoy the heat or something. Then it started tongue flicking gave a hiss while practically opening its mouth and that’s when I kicked it off toward the direction it came from.
The question begs, what was going through its head?
My thoughts were in this order, the snake came over to me because it smelt something that may have been worth checking out or it was it just a coincidence that I was in the way, it stopped rested experiencing the thermal change, decided to smell taste the area (Sock) and decided that I was actually a threat or perhaps live prey. It never got a chance to display an action after that besides traveling a small distance through the air.

The snake clearly wanted a hug, when it realised you wernt going to give it a hug it felt rejected and got angry. Its quite easy to understand how a snake thinks just put yourself in its position and think like a human.

Getting good responses! It seems to be a subject that has people divided down the middle. Or the quarter mark.

Just so people know what I was originally getting at, I wasn't talking about handling your snake for hours each day (which I suspect would be impossible if you're a breeder anyway) though some people apparently do. I was more talking about 10-20 mins every second or third day just to see it and marvel at it. Not really to play with it. Snakes amaze me. I only own one little Stimson's and I never see it. It's always hiding under it's paper towel substrate. I have not yet handled it either except for cleaning as it has not yet had it's first feed with me. But yes, I'd eventually like to occasionally bring it out, if only to see it!

When I only had one, I would get it out every few days and it was fine with this. Now I have a lot more, if I had the time i could get one out per day, and they would still only get handled once every two weeks.

Roughly i would handle each snake once per week, but only for a few minutes when cleaning out their enclosure.

My personal opinion is they do not like being handled although they will usually tolerate it..

Generally they would be handled more when young, just to get them conditioned to it so when they are larger they accept getting handled when it is necessary. Saying this, when young it is more important to get them settled in their enclosure and eating well before worrying about handling. If the snake stresses easily and you handle it a lot, they can go off their food.

I only have 1 snake and lucky if i handle him for 10 mins once a week, i really don't see the need to handle for long periods every day. When he's out cruising his tub i just open the lid and let him come out on his own and gentley pick him up and he's happy to cruise around on my arms and then when i wonna put him back he is happy to go off my arm into his tub by himself.

I try not to make it a stressful situation for him and so far have had no problems with him.

Getting good responses! It seems to be a subject that has people divided down the middle. Or the quarter mark.

Just so people know what I was originally getting at, I wasn't talking about handling your snake for hours each day (which I suspect would be impossible if you're a breeder anyway) though some people apparently do. I was more talking about 10-20 mins every second or third day just to see it and marvel at it. Not really to play with it. Snakes amaze me. I only own one little Stimson's and I never see it. It's always hiding under it's paper towel substrate. I have not yet handled it either except for cleaning as it has not yet had it's first feed with me. But yes, I'd eventually like to occasionally bring it out, if only to see it!

theres no harm having a look at it when you clean the enclosure etc. and its probably good to keep a watch on its health and growth rate.

I use upside down pot plant water dishes with a small side entrance for hides and when they are coiled up on top of these its easy to just lift it up and gently slide the snake into your hand. If you just let it move around and use your other hand to support it (not grab or squeeze) they are usually relaxed. Too much handling at the one time will probably get it agitated after a while, so short sessions like I described when your feeding, cleaning etc get it used to you and you used to it etc in the least threatening way.

why its under the paper most of the time is probably because it feels safer and more secure. If its just a young animal (under 12 months old) it just normal behaviour. usually once they grow and get a bit more size and age they relax a lot more and probably dont feel as threatened as they may have when younger and smaller.

In my opinion, theres nothing wrong with handling them. Really, wants the point of having them if you don't. When I first got a snake, I would have him sit around my neck for up to an hour... Now I'm mostly only handling them for photo's, to show people, see how good they look after a shed or to give them a little bath. Yet every day I'll get each one of them out for 5-10mins, but with my male Jungle, I handle him longer as he is still a bit snappy.

I think its great for them to be out, means they get to explore rather then being stuck in there enclosure all day...

When I start breeding snakes I'll only handling the hatchlings so there not to snappy for the buyers.

I don't handle my snakes unless I have to - cleaning, vet exams, moving to another cage for breeding or husbandry purposes etc.. Occassionally I will get a snake out to introduce to someone who hasn't had a closeup experience with a snake, but that is very rare.

The reason I don't handle them is simple: they are wild animals. I get enjoyment out of watching them the way they are. Handling does little to enhance that feeling. I also have several snakes in quarantine at present - handling them as little as possible is just good practice (in my opinion).

Most - not all - are used to being handled, so when I do need to handle, it is not a problem. This is important as it doesn't stress them out unneccessarily.

Mind you, if I had the opportunity, I would move them around more often as exposure to the outside world means many more sensations to taste and would be excellent enrichment for them.

:p

Hix

Last edited by a moderator:
No you get good natured snakes, But if you are hand raising them for 6 months on they are always abit nippy at that age dur to being soo small. Thats all i was saying i handle mine new little baby every day so she gets use to being handle and no i am not a threat. If you go without handling your snake from a young age they will be more cage protective and more scared of you!

Sorry to dissagree with you statment, But i refer you back to what i originally
posted as it still stands!
We keep a fairly large collection and dont handle unecessarily there is no need to.
Handling hatchling or juvie snakes places them under stress.
Basicly if you want a pet to cuddle and play with get a dog or cat they love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back